Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Skratch Labs vs. Osmo Active Hydration?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone tried both of these products, or can otherwise offer a comparison of them? From what I've read, the scientist behind Osmo used to work at Skratch Labs. Any reason why I should buy one or the other?

Thank!

I've been using the Skratch Labs everyday hydration mix.

I like that it has no funky ingredients and a good balance of electrolytes. Flavor is very mild, certainly not bitter or metallic.

It kind of has more citric acid than I like during my long runs. It's fine on my stomach for before/after.

That it comes in bulk has plusses and minuses. It's good that it doesn't waste packaging, and that it can be mixed into a hydration bladder without having to release pressure as you would for an effervescent tablet. But then, it's harder to carry on the bike or in my travel carry-on, and because it doesn't have anti-caking agents, you have to be careful to store it COMPLETELY airtight (100% metal, glass or ceramic container with a good seal on the lid, no plastic lids).

I haven't tried Osmo.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I think that like any nutrition/hydration thing, it comes down to personal preference.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Oak- thanks for the feedback, especially the info about storage. How well does Skratch clean out of a hydration bladder?

Both products meet my personal philosophy of separating hydration from nutrition / carbs. I'll probably end up trying both, but it's nice to hear real-world feedback before buying the flavor that everyone thinks is gross, etc.

Anyone else tried either?

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    How well does Skratch clean out of a hydration bladder?
    Pretty well. Since even the "everyday" formula does contain a little sugar for palatability, you do have to clean promptly and thoroughly to avoid mold problems, but it doesn't leave any lingering aroma the way Hammer products can.

I forgot to mention that it isn't terribly soluble, another minor "dislike." Typically I'll mix it up in a jar and shake for a good long time before putting it into the bladder, and even then there will be a little bit of undissolved sediment. In a water bottle, I shake it every time I take a sip. But, I don't find any sediment when I go to clean my containers, and I don't notice any grittiness when I drink it, so I don't really consider it a problem.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-26-2013 at 03:07 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've used and liked both. The version of Osmo that I used was the original version, I've heard it was slightly reformulated. Selene Yeager at Bicycling is working on a review.

They are both lightly flavored. Osmo is a teeny bit chalky. (or was.) I used blackberry osmo and all the skratch flavors. Pineapple is my favorite. I've only used them in water bottles. I pour the bag (which is resealable now) into a repurposed EFS plastic jar and have had no problems with clumping, and I live in very humid FL.