Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Pedal question

Pedal question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a road bike with Look pedals on it. I have not been happy with the shoes and pedal since I bought my bike. I like mountain bike shoes, ones in which I can walk, if needed. I also would like a bigger pedal. My husband tried to switch out my pedals from another bike, but couldn't get the Look pedals off. Is there a special tool needed to remove them? My platform pedals on my other bike came off without any problem. This year I want to go riding with my friend more and I absolutely hate my shoes and pedal system. My other bike has the kind with a clip in on one side and a flat platform on the other. Not sure if I want that, but definitely not the one I have now. I was hoping to do it on my own because I wanted to save money. Thanks for any advice you can give. Prepped my bike for outdoor riding today and am excited to be getting back outside.

No special tool, same 8 mm Allen key. Was he turning the wrench the right direction? I always get turned around removing the pedals that wrench from the inside of the crankarm, since you're actually "tightening" (pushing the spindle through, away from your hand) to loosen, and "loosening" (pulling the spindle toward your hand) to tighten. Combine that with the fact that of course the right pedal is right hand threaded, left pedal is left hand threaded, and I practically need a mirror to figure out which way to turn the stupid thing.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-26-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks ill have to try it tomorrow,

It can also take a fair amount of force, so a socket and long handle are better for leverage. I doubt I could ever do it with a hex key.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler