Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Kirk bike ready for build! I'm off the wall happy!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quick backstory: After a kazillion hours of obsessive research and internal debate, I chose Dave Kirk of Kirk Frameworks to build my dream bike. I knew I wanted steel, which narrowed down my builders to a short list of five excellent builders, but I had no hesitancy when I finally put down my deposit almost ten months ago. On November 10th, I was injured, learned I had zero cartilage left in one ankle, which I already knew was arthritic, but I also knew that if I could get back to even 80% of what I was doing, I'd be good for at least 100 miles a week, if I wanted, for years (doc agreed). It wasn't looking good (couldn't ride without pain) until I started with a wonderful physical therapist one month ago, and I've been feeling really really good on the bike the last couple weeks, able to get in 30+ mile with zero pain, and increasing my speed to almost where I'd been before the accident (believe it or not, in a dunk tank for a charity event). I now know I can recover and was over-the-moon happy with putting in 80 miles this week, somewhat slow but pain free.

Cut to today: I got the call that he's ready to build my bike!!!!!!!! The only changes I'm making since the injury is that I'm no longer going electronic as I can't justify the cost while knowing that my riding will be decreased. I'm getting a JK Special with Terraplane seat stays. I haven't decided yet on fillet brazed or lugged but am leaning toward fillet brazed. It still will be two to four months before I have the bike (has to get to Joe Bell for paint, then I'm having the build done locally), but between having that click moment this week, knowing I can ride again, and getting the call, I feel like a little kid at Christmas.

I know that many of you have no idea of who Dave Kirk is, but I actually feel honored and somewhat unworthy that he is building my bike. I don't know many people I can share my excitement with, but I think you ladies can understand, which is why I'm posting now. Thanks for listening to me babble. I am sooooo excited!

Now how the heck to I decide on a color? Egad!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

WOOOOHOOOO!

The red ones go faster.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I know who Kirk is and have seen his bikes in person. Between his and Joe's craftsmanship, you are one very wise and lucky woman. Excellent choice. Please, please, please post oodles of pictures when it's done. I'm so excited for you!!!!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Have you picked your paint scheme yet?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Kirk bike ready for build! I'm off the wall happy!

Oooooo, what fun!!! Metallic purple goes fast and is sexy in the sunlight

I am not familiar with Kirk, but I feel your excitement! Congratulations on all fronts!

Thanks, ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Have you picked your paint scheme yet?
    Yes, about fifteen

Oh my!! Every time we've attended the Handmade Bike Show, I had to try to keep LeeBob from drooling over the Kirk frames.

And a Joe Bell paint job, swooon ...

Please post lots of pics! ... I'll have paper towels handy.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Oooooooh, exciting! Will you get pictures of the frame in progress? If so you MUST share!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    Thanks, ladies!

Yes, about fifteen
    LOL. I would struggle with that decision. There are just so many pretty options.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Oh my!!
    And a Joe Bell paint job, swooon ...
    That's what I was thinking! Whichever of the "about 15" colors that you choose will certainly be beautiful. Serious eye-candy for bike nerds. Can't wait to see it!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

How exciting. I was drooling over Kirk frames on the internet a few years ago.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Thanks, again. It's nice to be able to share with people who get it.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Oooooooh, exciting! Will you get pictures of the frame in progress? If so you MUST share!
    I've known other people who got pics of the build in progress, but I didn't ask him. I'm getting all the measurements (body and bike) done and filling out the questionnaire he sends this weekend. Once he gets those back and gets things figured and laid out, we'll have another conversation or five. I'll ask then.

This prompted me to go look up some recent images on google. So beautiful. I can't wait to see it.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Oooh. Awwww.

OH yes. The kirks are some nice folk. Beautiful bikes made by some very knowledgeable hands. Please do keep us in the loop and provide a ride report or five.
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Looks like Monday may be start day.

Based on the numbers from the Gunnar, which he likes for me, he's recommending a bit less bar drop and a bit more reach. That's about it, other than I'm becoming an insane woman choosing a color. I have it down to three choices....well....today I have it down to three