Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is going to be an amazing story to follow I'm excited just from reading your posts! Colors can be so hard to choose especially when you can have it exactly how you want it!

This is the final version. Decided to shrink the bike a bit to anticipate my impeding shrinking. It's weird to be at the age where that consideration needs to be put into the pot. I was concerned that I would have no wiggle room with a 52.5 tt and 80 stem, which is pushing the max of my reach now, even though I know the new geometry, compared to current bikes, accounts for that. Had a good conversation with Dave today, and he agreed, and this is the final version that will start turning into a bike tomorrow! Yay!

2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Where's the like button?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Very nice! Congratulations on the impending....delivery Have you decided on a color or did I miss that?

^ I have one main idea, but I have to wait and talk to Joe Bell first. I'm not a fan of the decal color choices and if I have to use them exactly as is (I've only seen pics of the decals as is), that will ruin my idea. I'm going to leave that alone for the time being and just enjoy the process.

Speaking of...I guess the work started this afternoon as I just these pics in my email:

Today I did prep work - inspecting tubes, setting the jig, mitering tubes, brazing subassemblies (chainstays, fork blades and crown) and last but not least lug fitting.

Tomorrow Iíll finish the lugs by shaping them and then jump into brazing the front triangle together and I should have time to braze the fork too.

Re: Kirk bike ready for build! I'm off the wall happy!

Very nice! while I spoke directly with my designer at Gunnar / Waterford I did not get to see it in process. Keep us posted!

So exciting! Do keep us updated on your new bike's progress.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

You decided against terraplane?

Amazing isn't it.. that half table of metal tubes and whatnot will become your bike? Coolness.

How did you feel about the whole fit over the phone process? I'm not disbelieving Dave's competence but rather amazed he has enough experience to do it and do it well.. consistently. Can you elaborate on how he extracted enough info to get to this point? How'd it work?
    Last edited by roguedog; 04-02-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Kirk bike ready for build! I'm off the wall happy!

I wanted the Terraplane option because I love the way it looks, and is supposed to offer better stability. I also think of it as kinda like a signature of Kirk frames. As soon as you see it, you know it's a Kirk bike, and I liked that. Dave said that due to how short my seat tube is, the seat stay are going to be too small for the Terraplane option to have any performance advantage, and if I went with the straight stays, he could use the lightest tubes he has, which he felt would be the better choice. I'll admit to being slightly disappointed, but it makes no sense to pay the extra $350 for the look when the advantage would be going straight. I'd rather put that money towards some paint extras I'm hoping can be done.

Dave has three forms, two of measurements, bike and body, and one a questionnaire (23 questions) that give him all the preliminary info he needs. He worked with both me and my bike fitter, who helped make the final recommendations based on my concerns. The process was extremely friendly and speedy. I guess I'll find out when I get the bike how well it worked out, but I think the man knows what he's doing and I'm not worried in the slightest. The numbers are also not far off from my Gunnar, which was also custom, and fits me beautifully, though the geometry of this bike is different.

I've been told I'll have more pics today.
    Last edited by murielalex; 04-02-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Kirk bike ready for build! I'm off the wall happy!

Oh... To add to what I was saying re process, most of the communication was through email between me, Dave, and my fitter. I've had only three phone conversations, the first being initial contact before I put down a deposit, and the last recent two were primarily chit chat and confirming we were all in agreement, even though that had been done in email already. I just needed to hear it vs read it before I gave the final go.

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
    You decided against terraplane?
    Ha, I was wondering the same thing. Bummer you can't get the Terraplane stays, but it'll still be a fabulous bike.

Ooohhh, you went with lugs. Joe Bell will do great work on those.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Today's pics:

Re: Kirk bike ready for build! I'm off the wall happy!

Beautiful work!

Today's work:

totally jealous. are you replacing the gunnar with this or this is simply n+1
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us