Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Painful Chafing in my Crotch

To disable ads, please log-in.

I used to not have any issues in this department, but lately I am getting seriously chafed in my inner labia (the mucus membrane part) which is extremely painful, particularly upon urination. It takes up to a couple of days to heal. I think as I've aged my 'lady bits' are hanging out a little more. I try to get 'adjusted' in my shorts before jumping on the bike, and have tried gel shorts and chamois and it has only helped a little, especially on those long rides.

It goes without saying that I'm shopping for a new saddle, so any recommendations and advice about good saddles is greatly appreciated.

And, any other additional suggestions and tips for how to minimize this chafing are welcomed.

I glob up that area with chamois cream and have had no issues since. I also carry travel packs of chamois cream with me on long rides just in case.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Have you read the saddle fitting thread(s)? Start there.

From what you said, I'd guess that your needs in the cut-out department have changed. Your sitbone width won't change, and although we really haven't identified a good test for saddle shape, I wouldn't think that that would change much, either. But the soft parts, as you say, do change size and shape over the years.

Does your current saddle have a cut-out? What saddle(s) have you ridden without problems in the past?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Everything Oak said and, depending on your age, get your estrogen levels checked. I had this issue and ended up going to the gynecologist about it. A medical solution has improved the situation 100%, as well as a different saddle.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Wow! What a lovely surprise to find all these fabulous responses this morning! I see I have come to the right place for biking support for women.

I am really excited to try out all the great suggestions, and will be sure to report back how I do.

MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

I'm going to go over each one of your responses more thoroughly and answer specific questions, but I have to run down to the garage and check out my seat. I'm not very well versed in equipment talk and need to go edumacate myself!!!
    Last edited by maiforpeace; 03-20-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Painful Chafing in my Crotch

Are you wearing panties under the shorts? That can be a contributor.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I used to have this problem back in the day when cut-out saddles were not available. Once I switched, the problem went away. I've briefly tried non-cutout saddles now and then, but I always end up with chafing in this same area. It stings to pee or wash when I ride a saddle without a cut-out for rides of more than short distances.

Good luck finding a saddle that works for you!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    I glob up that area with chamois cream and have had no issues since. I also carry travel packs of chamois cream with me on long rides just in case.
    Got some dznutsbliss (?) yesterday at the bike shop. I'm going on a long ride this morning so I look forward to seeing how it works!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Have you read the saddle fitting thread(s)? Start there.
    Nice! Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    From what you said, I'd guess that your needs in the cut-out department have changed. Your sitbone width won't change, and although we really haven't identified a good test for saddle shape, I wouldn't think that that would change much, either. But the soft parts, as you say, do change size and shape over the years.

Does your current saddle have a cut-out? What saddle(s) have you ridden without problems in the past?
    Here's my current saddle, and the one I used for years without issue. I was off the bike for several years before I got back on about three months ago. The chafing started as my rides got longer and longer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	16095

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Everything Oak said and, depending on your age, get your estrogen levels checked. I had this issue and ended up going to the gynecologist about it. A medical solution has improved the situation 100%, as well as a different saddle.
    I am fully post-menopausal, and never had hormone replacement therapy. So, it's possible these issues may have developed because of the vaginal atrophy I am suffering...so good point Crankin, thank you. Now that we have insurance again, I'll make an appt. pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Measure sit-bones. You need a saddle the same approximate distance as your outside bone-width.

Plus, sounds like you want a good cutout.

What kind of riding are you doing? Road bike with drops? If so, more upright or aero?
    Actually, mostly mountain biking on service roads, with decent elevation. I don't know exactly how to describe them. Here's an example of one:

One of 'Mai' rides.

Also, are your shorts in good condition? Are they too loose? How does the chamois and its stitching appear?
    Very good condition. New, and not loose. I also badly placed worn seams can cause all kinds of grief, so I have been very careful with the clothing.

Skyking summarized how to fit a saddle and measure sitbones here. Much easier than the huge saddle thread. If you do read it, I'd concentrate on the two most recent pages. there are several threads discussing your issue, and several that have a lot of links to saddle troubleshooting. Should be much easier.

Once we know you center to center and outside distances, we should be able to recommend some nice choices.
    This is a priority project, so I'll read it, figure it out and get back with measurements.

*I'm getting a new saddle, I'm getting a new saddle...*

I'll keep the compression short idea on the back burner for now, I think I have plenty of good improvements I can make to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Are you wearing panties under the shorts? That can be a contributor.
    No panties.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I used to have this problem back in the day when cut-out saddles were not available. Once I switched, the problem went away. I've briefly tried non-cutout saddles now and then, but I always end up with chafing in this same area. It stings to pee or wash when I ride a saddle without a cut-out for rides of more than short distances.

Good luck finding a saddle that works for you!
    That's encouraging news, and thank you!

I got cream, I got a new seat. I got good news! Problems solved!!! Thanks so much to all for the great advice - I'm a happy, irritation-free biker chick again.