Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 Jamis Dakar XC Comp

To disable ads, please log-in.

No, I am (sadly) not in the market for another mountain bike - I have one!

I just got a surprise! Someone told me that the new Jamis Dakar was only a few hundred more from what I am asking for my lovely 2011 Dakar XC Comp. I assumed, at first, that she was talking about the Dakar XC Sport, but I just went and checked out the new 2013 model on the Jamis website...

I could be mistaken, I am no expert, but it looks like Jamis has downgraded the components to justify dropping the MSRP from ~$1,800 (2011) to $1,500. The 2011 comes with a 10-speed cassette (and I think the 2012 did as well), 2013 has a 9-speed. The suspension appears to be different, and there are a couple of other apparent changes that I don't have the time to look into right now. If they are downgrading the Dakar Comp, I have to wonder what they are doing to the Dakar Sport? I guess they felt a need to find someway to drop the price in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    No, I am (sadly) not in the market for another mountain bike - I have one!

I just got a surprise! Someone told me that the new Jamis Dakar was only a few hundred more from what I am asking for my lovely 2011 Dakar XC Comp. I assumed, at first, that she was talking about the Dakar XC Sport, but I just went and checked out the new 2013 model on the Jamis website...

I could be mistaken, I am no expert, but it looks like Jamis has downgraded the components to justify dropping the MSRP from ~$1,800 (2011) to $1,500. The 2011 comes with a 10-speed cassette (and I think the 2012 did as well), 2013 has a 9-speed. The suspension appears to be different, and there are a couple of other apparent changes that I don't have the time to look into right now. If they are downgrading the Dakar Comp, I have to wonder what they are doing to the Dakar Sport? I guess they felt a need to find someway to drop the price in this market.
    My guess is that it's a reflection of the MTB world moving increasingly toward 29ers. Jamis is also emphasizing their 650B bikes quite a bit, too.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: 2013 Jamis Dakar XC Comp

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    My guess is that it's a reflection of the MTB world moving increasingly toward 29ers. Jamis is also emphasizing their 650B bikes quite a bit, too.
    This COULD be a selling point for my bike, better components than the new one I do need to verify that of course.

I noticed that too, made me glad I had gotten the 2012. I've been on the lookout for a bike for my son and was surprised and disappointed that they've downgraded a few of their bikes, not just the xc comp.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Yes, it is sad. My Jamis rocks, she is a great bike! Sadly, too much for me however, hopefully I can find her a home that she deserves!

Jamis has always seemed like good value for the money. Maybe they've "wisened up" and are now pricing/specing their bikes more consistently with other manufacturers. That's a shame.

The year or two after I bought my first adult bike--a Trek FX, Trek started "dumbing down" the components and charging even more money. I was really disappointed in that, but I've since realized that most manufacturers do that over time. Granted, I have no idea what their profit margin is, but the inflation in prices for a decently speced bike really amazes me.
    Last edited by indysteel; 03-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indeed. A bike shop owner I talked to last year said that he felt that the best bang-for-buck used to be Giant, Trek (for certain models) and Felt. When I bought my Giant, they had downgraded it from previous model years (from full Sora to 2300 + a Sora rear derailleur). Jamis used to be good too, and many people seem to feel the same about Fuji. They're all getting more expensive for lesser componentry.

I dread to think what I'll end up paying for the Ultegra road bike when I've scraped together the cash.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I dread to think what I'll end up paying for the Ultegra road bike when I've scraped together the cash.
    If you are buying new, yes. But consider used. I got a Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD full carbon bike with Ultegra for just $700 on ebay. Yes, it's a 2006 model, but lightly ridden. If I had been limited to new, I'd have ended up with an aluminum frame and Sora. Just a thought...there are a lot of lightly used bikes out there. DH buys for DW and she doesn't get into it, that kind of thing. Lots of "good intention" bikes.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I actually think we'll see less 29er's too. I think 650b will be the new favorite size. I'd like to try one. I like my 29er, but it is so big, I wonder if something a little more nimble would suit me better.
    2011 Cannondale CAADX 105
    2012 Jamis Dragon 29er
    2012 Jamis Xenith Endura Comp

Quote Originally Posted by Kernyl View Post
    I actually think we'll see less 29er's too. I think 650b will be the new favorite size. I'd like to try one. I like my 29er, but it is so big, I wonder if something a little more nimble would suit me better.
    Funny how the pendulum swings back!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Kernyl View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. I only have a 26er but given my size and the trails in my area, I tend to think a 650b would suit me better. I'm not in the market for a new mtb anyway. I love my Santa Cruz Juliana as it is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Clearly the answer is one of each. That way you're prepared for everything.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Clearly the answer is one of each. That way you're prepared for everything.
    Agreed. One of each is clearly the way to go.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

I was thinking 6 was the magic number... a hard tail in all three sizes and a FS in all sizes. That way you're prepared for anything.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I was thinking 6 was the magic number... a hard tail in all three sizes and a FS in all sizes. That way you're prepared for anything.
    I like this way of thinking!