Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Having a hitch installed for a bike rack - advice on the extras?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Dh is getting a bike!

This, of course, means that I can no longer just use the back of my Highlander for carting bikes around, and I need to get a bike rack. We've decided on the Thule T2, but I need a hitch installed on my Highlander. Which brings me to my question . . .

I don't ever foresee actually hauling anything other than a bike rack, so do I really need all the wiring and such done? Or can I just have the hitch installed and be done with it?
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

Re: Having a hitch installed for a bike rack - advice on the extras?

I just have the hitch and have never regretted it.

You can also just attach some fork mounts to a plank of wood and still get the bikes inside - I can get 3 in my Rav4, and was looking to do the same if we upgrade to a Highlander.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Having a hitch installed for a bike rack - advice on the extras?

It's not a bad idea to have trailer light for the rack. Most people don't realize how much your rear lights are blocked by bikes. We have a set of lights that plug in and then clip on.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Uhaul said they could put the lights on later with no additional hassle (just the additional cost supplies and labor), so I'm just going to get that done now. Irulan, you do have a good point about lights being seen, though, so I'll keep a look out for that, and probably add them on sooner rather than later.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

Bike bones- plastic spacers with velcro straps to hold your bikes apart.
    Extra velcro straps- for holding handlebars striaght, stop wheels spinning etc.
    Some pipe insulation- cut a slit lengthways and wrap the pole of your bike carrier (unless you go for a wheel clamp style) and duct tape to the pole. At some point your bike will touch or bounce against the pole, and padding means no damage.

If you can afford to get the light plug installed (unless your car is not rated to tow). Think resale in the future. Pretty useless for anyone buying your car if they cannot tow with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Stoker View Post
    Bike bones- plastic spacers with velcro straps to hold your bikes apart.
    Extra velcro straps- for holding handlebars striaght, stop wheels spinning etc.
    Some pipe insulation- cut a slit lengthways and wrap the pole of your bike carrier (unless you go for a wheel clamp style) and duct tape to the pole. At some point your bike will touch or bounce against the pole, and padding means no damage.
    Thanks for posting these ideas about spacers-- I didn't know about bike bones. Going to look that up now!
    I was just coming in to say that I have a Thule hitch rack, and my biggest regret is that we didn't get a 3-bike rack (there are only 2 of us). Additional space on the rack to keep the bikes apart, or a third slot in case we have a third rider with us would have been handy. Unfortunately my car is not rated for a heavier hitch, so I couldn't get the larger rack. But I'm going to be looking out for that on my next car purchase for sure.

ETA: I have the Thule Helium AERO, not a platform hitch, if that matters.
    Last edited by breeze; 08-02-2013 at 05:11 AM.