Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Welcome home from me too. I have a question, and if its been asked and answered before I apologize; I don't read every thread. We travel a lot in the Caribbean, and talk to ex pats and retirees and so on. We've heard pretty consistently to live where you think you want to move to for at least three to six months before committing. Did you guys do this and it still just didn't work out the way you expected? I don't think the island life would be for me either....but I was just wondering.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Welcome home!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Welcome home from me too. I have a question, and if its been asked and answered before I apologize; I don't read every thread. We travel a lot in the Caribbean, and talk to ex pats and retirees and so on. We've heard pretty consistently to live where you think you want to move to for at least three to six months before committing. Did you guys do this and it still just didn't work out the way you expected? I don't think the island life would be for me either....but I was just wondering.
    Nope, we didn't, but that is excellent advice! We had an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a new condo building being built in an established, very well-regarded resort, right on the beach. We had looked at other condos on the island but never found anything that suited us (especially my DH), and finding a place to rent with a dog is much harder than if you're pet-free. So we pulled the trigger and bought. If we could have found a place to rent and stayed a year, that would have been preferable for sure.

Believe it or not (or should I say Belize it or not?!) we met people living there who had never even visited the island before moving down. They just researched it online, packed their suitcases, and came down. Though most rented rather than bought property. In our case, we'd visited several times by the time we moved down. But vacationing and living in a place are so very different! Still, as I said in the blog in the very first post of this thread, we have no regrets. The experiences we had we'll never forget and would never change.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Welcome back! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Welcome back! I hope you have an easy time settling back in.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Emily, welcome back. I didn't start reading your blog until 2-3 months ago. I missed out on all of your fun. However, I see some of your pics when you went to Mexico. Gosh what an adventure. My family, including both brothers & families along with my dad, have been down to Akumal many times for Christmas. So your pics of Tulum were great to see and reminded me of what was so neat about the area.

If you are ever out West in the Southern Utah region, near Zion and St. George, give us a pm. Not sure any of the local fare will ever be as great as what you all had when you were on the island. Your pics of everything were great.

Happy adjusting to your other new life.

Red Rock

Welcome back!! Let me know when you come to visit Colorado.

Welcome back! I look forward to reading about your future adventures.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    What do you 2 plan to do over long term? Stay in SC. Or choose to live elsewhere in the US?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    What do you 2 plan to do over long term? Stay in SC. Or choose to live elsewhere in the US?
    SC? Not us! We're from NC -- there's a big rivalry between our states!

We're going to be nomadic and travel the US. We have a house-sitting gig in Kansas starting in May but will not buying another home for at least several years. Probably a motorhome instead. Eventually we may end up back in NC, but ya never know.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

welcome home!

Yes, as everyone has said, Welcome home. Let me know if you find yourself in Oregon
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Welcome back. It sounds like your next adventure will be very interesting too!
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Welcome home!

Back in the USA!

Ditto all the welcome homes! I have loved reading your posts and adventures. Happy travels wherever you find yourselves.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"