Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shorts...suggestions?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've got a post on the FS thread where I am trying to sell almost all of my shorts and bib shorts as they are all now too big for me (nudge nudge, the bibs are in great shape) While this isn't a BAD thing, it is an expensive thing as I am now down to only one pair of shorts (drop-tail bibs) that actually fits. I don't really have this in my budget, but I need more than one pair of shorts. I can live with two. My drop-tails are smalls, and I am beginning to wonder if they are approaching the point of being too small This is perplexing to me as I DO have a belly...

One of our LBS is having their annual spring sale this weekend, and they typically have great clothing prices. So far the most comfortable chamois for me has been the PI 3D-Elite but I am wondering if there might be something else I could try. The pads ARE a bit thick, but they work. Then again, perhaps I am doing myself a disfavor by not trying something else out. Any suggestions for a 1-time experiment? Pity I can't try several brands. I know they have LG shorts, as well as Terry and a few other brands that escapes me right now.

What is YOUR favorite short and why? Inquiring minds would love to know, thanks!

My favorites are the Terry Bellas. Longer, compressive, and flattering. Chamois is not too thick.
    However, they are a little heavy/sweaty for very high temperatures, at least for me. My issue occurred in Spain, when it was +95 degrees. I now have a few pairs of Sugoi RS shorts, too.
    My Bellas have lasted for years. I bought 2 new pair 2 years ago, but basically, the rest I've had for 5 years.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks Crankin, I think others here have mentioned both shorts in the past. Frankly, I prefer bibs for the summer - that lack of a waistband is very nice in the heat but they are more expensive than a decent pair of shorts.

I know that BGI carries Terry, will see if they happen to have the Bella shorts. My usual LBS carries Sugoi if BGI doesn't so I will see if they have the RS. I do prefer longer inseams (even though I am short) the Bella sounds interesting. The one non-PI chamois I've been able to wear (at least at shorter distances) has been the Terry Liberty short, and also the Terry liner in my mountain bike shorts. I've not tried either for >20 mile rides however.

The chamois in the Bellas is better, at least for me, than the ones in the liners and the Liberty. I have both of those; I have worn the liner on a 50 mile ride (once) under baggies, riding my old Jamis flat bar bike. Soft tissue did not feel so good after that, but it may have been a combo of the shorts and bike geometry. I find the Liberty chamois a bit wide for me, but I like those shorts for when I am doing errands.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I am such a Terry Bella fan, is all I wear. I may venture out and try Terry's Liberty short - the description sounds interesting Anybody worn them yet?
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Re: Shorts...suggestions?

Ive the Liberty shorts, good for shorter rides. It sounds like I need to find some Bellas to try.

Ok, I've done a bit of research and can't seem to find a local source of the Terry Bella shorts. The liner LOOKS a lot like the liner in the liner insert for my Terry mountain bike baggy shorts. Is that the case? If they are then they might be too thin for me for longer rides, but all I have to go by is the pink picture

I see the 2012 Piston 200 Tri Pocket Short doesn't have grippers - is anyone familiar with these shorts? They are half the cost of the Bella shorts - which makes me pause as I've learned that where shorts are concerned that price normally matters. TE doesn't have a picture of the chamois. I see this has a 9 inch inseam which is longer than either the Bella or the Sugoi RS. What makes a pair of shorts better for triatholons over more general cycling? I assume this means a quite thin chamois so it will dry more quickly. To me thinner isn't necessarily better. The only reason I am even considering these is the price.

I am trying to find a LBS with the Sugoi RS women's shorts but haven't been successful, yet. The chamois on TE looks...interesting. A review on the TE store site indicates that the chamois material was stiff and chaffed a bit - as many positive comments I've read here about those shorts makes me wonder if she got a bad pair or just too small for her, she also had problems with the waistband rolling down.

Have to second the Sugoi RS short. I too like the PI 3D chamois but find they "flatten off" over time. My pair of RS shorts are still comfy and so no signs of flattening.

The chamois at first is a bit stiff but I use chamois cream and it soon softened up. No problems with the waistband.

I've never worn Sheila Moon, but have you considered any of theirs? No leg grippers, wide cross-over waistband.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Catrin, the liner is pink in both the liner and the Bellas, but they are not the same.
    I bought a Sheila Moon liner to wear under a cycling dress, on sale, both from TE. I haven't worn the liner riding, but when I tried them on, I was kind of sorry I bought them. The chamois is very wide and kind of curled over into my thigh crease. But, they are so cute, white, with lace on the bottom, so they are perfect for under the dress.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Catrin, the liner is pink in both the liner and the Bellas, but they are not the same.
    I bought a Sheila Moon liner to wear under a cycling dress, on sale, both from TE. I haven't worn the liner riding, but when I tried them on, I was kind of sorry I bought them. The chamois is very wide and kind of curled over into my thigh crease. But, they are so cute, white, with lace on the bottom, so they are perfect for under the dress.
    I called TE this afternoon and they said the chamois is the same between the Terry liner and the Bellas, but Crankin certainly should know if the two are different as she has used both of them The woman at TE also suggested I consider the Shebeest Century short. She said it looks exactly the same as the Terry liner chamois, but thicker and denser. There are a lot of women here who love the Sugoi RS short...I've some thinking to do! I wish I could afford to have them ship all three so I could try them all on before picking one.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-14-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I wish I could afford to have them ship all three so I could try them all on before picking one.
    You know it's TE ... time it right and you'll have the shorts and the credit for the two returns before your bill comes due ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have the Shebeest Century Short as well and I don't think you would like it (like I didn't). Yes it's heaps thicker but actually a bit too thick IMO and is much larger than either the Sugoi or the PI ones. I actually found it tends to bunch up in the creases of my leags and causes extra chaffing. Also my pair the foam and the fabric covering has started to pull apart making this much worse. Nice short- loved the thick material but also didn't like that I got sunburned through the mesh panel on the back. My PI shorts with a mesh panel haven't let that happen.

Re: Shorts...suggestions?

Yikes Kiwi! Thanks for the heads up! That knocks one of them out of the running...

I wonder if the chamois in the Terry liners has been upgraded recently. I have a pair of Terry liners and I 'm pretty sure that the chamois in the liner is different from my Terry Bellas.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD