Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

2013 Riding Goals

To disable ads, please log-in.

We want to do some cycle touring this year, starting with an overnight local ride whenever the next good weather weekend is. This summer we are planning a weeklong tour over in Idaho, they have some fabulous trails. I can't wait!

I'm also trying to work on upping my average speed. Even by just a few mph. I know it means pushing myself harder. But then I worry about pushing too hard and injuring myself and not being able to ride at all...hmmm. Maybe I'll just be happy being a slow spoke.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I set a few goals for myself at the beginning of the year and actually wrote them down. Last year I didn't start riding until mid-June and managed 3300 miles - I'm hoping that if I ride that much for a full season I can get in 5,000 road miles (not counting trainer time these past few months). I said I would ride outside at least 5 times/month during the cold months. I'm not big on cold+wind, but cold alone is OK down to the high 20's. I've done that Dec-Feb, but of all things, March isn't working well (been out only twice, the rest of my riding has been on the trainer)... we're still really cold and windy!! I didn't do an imperial century, just metric last year, but want to do at least two this year - one supported mid-season and one by myself near the end of the season. I was having some right knee issues... not really discomfort, but just I "noticed" it... due to a tight hamstring and I'd like to get that taken care of with some exercises. Another goal to help with that is to incorporate yoga into my routine. I'd like to do some mountain biking again. Went a few weeks ago and forgot how much FUN it is! Finally, work on core strength - the mountain biking really highlighted how important that is.

I would love to do some touring, but do not have a bike appropriate for that currently. My new Wilier's purpose is comfort for long rides, but not multi-day rides/tours. I would like to get a cross bike with rack and fender eyelets that can double as a touring bike, but finding one in my size seems next to impossible. Next year, maybe.
    Last edited by velo; 03-21-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

I am so excited about my goal! I am training for 2-person Race Across America with one other woman! We have been totaly dedicated, and working incredible hard towards this race. It should be a June for the books!

AND--pedal wrench is on my crew! I am one lucky girl!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

kacie tri-ing, you are so lucky indeed! Keep us informed how your trainin goes. You can also make a separate thread for this adventure.

My goals...I want to win the national champoinships for XCO and XCM. I don't have high expectations for the Balkan Champoinship but at least maybe not get lapped
    Also if I have the time to do some ultra marathons like 120 km would be great!
    My goals are olso more organizational. Usually I organize one race in a year in my area and this year I want to make them two.

Kacie - I was just reading your blog and some of the links from your blog and I am just in awe of what you are doing. I think it is so cool (and makes me wish I were younger). You have a new fan and I will be cheering on you and your team for RAAM. You are one amazing woman and cyclist and I hope you do set the record. Be sure to keep us updated in June! Best of luck!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Thanks ladies! It has been an adventure--truly, and we haven't even raced yet! I honestly do appreciate support and encouragement!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Re: 2013 Riding Goals

Quote Originally Posted by kacie tri-ing View Post
    Thanks ladies! It has been an adventure--truly, and we haven't even raced yet! I honestly do appreciate support and encouragement!
    Looking forward to following you this year!

My first goal...to get around my "block". My block is 4 miles around which is not much but it has some pretty decent hills. Like you smittykitty, I need lots of work on hills. They are my nemesis and the thing that psychs me out of riding close to home.

Rosanna
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. ~ Greg LeMond

Trek Neko S
    Lemond Reno

kacie tri-ing - you are amazing.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

I turn 65 in May. I have been saving for a new "special " bike since I was 60. I am buying it for my birthday present to myself. That will happen sometime after June 1, as I have challenged my three biking sisters to ride a century with me in the Little Red Riding Hood Ride in Utah. My other goal is to continue to ride my age each week, only this time to make it more than 2/3 of the time. On my new bike it should be easier right?
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I mentioned that I want to ride a century before the summer is over and my boyfriend will hold me to that (which is what I need). We just moved to a new city so I hope to get more comfortable with traffic and get out of town more on my bike. I'd also like to try mountain biking since we now live in the mountains instead of the flat plains.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    I turn 65 in May. I have been saving for a new "special " bike since I was 60. I am buying it for my birthday present to myself. That will happen sometime after June 1, as I have challenged my three biking sisters to ride a century with me in the Little Red Riding Hood Ride in Utah. My other goal is to continue to ride my age each week, only this time to make it more than 2/3 of the time. On my new bike it should be easier right?
    Sounds like a great plan, marni! What bike do you have in mind?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My goal is to ride regularly again. I think that in 2012, if I am remembering correctly, I rode a total of 75 miles. Ouch.

2013 is a rebuilding year for me. I've developed a bunch of imbalances from being on crutches and limping for the first half of the year and it's time to work them out. I'm starting with Pilates and easy rides and bike commuting. We'll go from there.

We just signed up for the Crater Lake Century in August and have plans to ride the Tour du Blast in September...so there is plenty of motivation!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Marni - I think that is a great goal! Please keep us posted!

GLC, I wish we were closer so we could ride together I am excited about (hopefully) being able to ride tomorrow - for the second time since Christmas!!!! I've the Booty ride at the end of June (if I can raise enough) and I am determined to FINALLY complete the Hope ride in September without injury!

I've ridden three times in the past week, for a whopping total of 35 miles. Yes, short rides. And today, I even got rained on. Have i mentioned I hate riding in the rain?
    But, I'm out there. My goal is just to ride and ride more than last year.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport