Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: OT: Slob

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by abuelitodimetu
    ...I feared that I had thrown enough fuel to the fire (with the Dr. Laura letter) by now. ...
    I am starting to feel like Lizzie in Pride and Prejudice:
    "Oh! shocking!" cried Miss Bingley. "I never heard anything so abominable. How shall we punish him for such a speech?"

"Nothing so easy, if you have but the inclination," said Elizabeth. "We can all plague and punish one another. Tease him -- laugh at him. Intimate as you are, you must know how it is to be done."

"But upon my honour I do not. I do assure you that my intimacy has not yet taught me that. Tease calmness of temper and presence of mind! No, no -- I feel he may defy us there. And as to laughter, we will not expose ourselves, if you please, by attempting to laugh without a subject. Mr. Darcy may hug himself."

"Mr. Darcy is not to be laughed at!" cried Elizabeth. "That is an uncommon advantage, and uncommon I hope it will continue, for it would be a great loss to me to have many such acquaintance. I dearly love a laugh."

"Miss Bingley," said he, "has given me credit for more than can be. The wisest and the best of men -- nay, the wisest and best of their actions -- may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke."

"Certainly," replied Elizabeth -- "there are such people, but I hope I am not one of them. I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies, do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can. But these, I suppose, are precisely what you are without."
    And by the way, I don't think that this discussion is really very far off the original topic. What are we talking about, all the way through, but what we can and cannot tolerate in others? We don't like the thoughts of others, or the way they live their lives, or where they do or do not leave their dirty laundry; where and how can we express our opinions; are we entitled to interfere? Poor betagirl at least has the strength of position: she is sharing her life with the person whose opinions/habits/dishrags are in question!
    "This is totally unfair! Just because I'm from another planet, I don't have rights? I mean, doesn't the Geneva convention protect extraterrestrials?" (Stargate)

Sigh! What a great line quoted at such an appropriate moment. Jane AUsten never disappoints and anyone who can whip her lines out like that is forever admired by me.

Eaglewalker

OMG I just was looking at the conditions those bunnies you rescued were found in. Depolorable! Thank you for doing what you do.

But one good thing is that Betagirl, compared to that house your BF is Martha Stewart. Heck we're all Martha compared to that.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

(Off-off-topic, I'm pleased to be able to report that the unfortunate couple are now in a decent home. They were allowed to keep one rabbit, a three-legged bun that sleeps with them. So it's not only the rabbits that were helped by this rescue.)
    "This is totally unfair! Just because I'm from another planet, I don't have rights? I mean, doesn't the Geneva convention protect extraterrestrials?" (Stargate)

Poor betagirl at least has the strength of position: she is sharing her life with the person whose opinions/habits/dishrags are in question!

Thanks Eaglewalker And yes, kudos for your rescue work.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

Quote Originally Posted by doc
    OK. I've got my protective gear on now. I'm ready for the fallout.
    You don't need protective gear. If I post further, it will get uglier.

I am Christian, Southern, conservative, Republican, and an engineer. I do not belong here, which has been pointed out. In other threads, as well as this one.

I don't care to open up like bcipam and be trounced. It isn't worth it. And I lack the maturity to handle it.

This is a cycling venue. Here, I am a cyclist. If I continue to post at TE, cycling will be my limit.

my husband is a slob. I used to get really upset. I still do from time to time. I have treid everything. Nothing works. Unless we have company over. oh, and so you know we have been together for 19 years. you really ave to take several deep breaths when you are looking at the stuff and ignore it. What made me finally give in was this.
    When I was growing up my dad was a clean freak. So much he would hit us for things not being spotless. I once had to scrub with a broom and soapy water , a wall outside that was 50 by 15 ft. I was outside all day crying and scrubing. So my point is ,when I get mad over the stuff being on the floors and tables I remember my childhood and breath a sigh of relief that i am not living with the as*h*le dad anymore. I would rather have stuff laying all over te place then have to live with so much pain you know. Sometimes you have to let go!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Quote Originally Posted by pkq
    I am Christian, Southern, conservative, Republican, and an engineer. I do not belong here, which has been pointed out. In other threads, as well as this one.

I don't care to open up like bcipam and be trounced. It isn't worth it. And I lack the maturity to handle it.

This is a cycling venue. Here, I am a cyclist. If I continue to post at TE, cycling will be my limit.
    Quite the contrary. You are more than welcome to post your opinions. That's the point of that freedom of speech thing.
    ***You just can't expect everyone to agree with you. You also can't expect to be in the majority even though your category "Christian, conservative, Republican" is.***
    And of course you belong here. You belong anywhere you want to go. No one wants you to go away and stop posting just because you're an engineer!! It's simply a matter of whether you want to open up to the possibility that there are many strongly held, legitimate, christian even, beliefs other than your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-uv-a-job
    The only reference about 9/11 that I have seen so far was this one:
    "I am so sick and tired of all the Arab-American groups whining and complaining about some kind of treatment... What culture and what religion were all the murderers of 9/11? They murdered us." and that is a quote from Dr Laura, which is a Christian.
    Just a note - Dr. Laura is not a Christian but in fact, an orthodox Jew.
    Off the Dr. Laura thing - cause I have friends that hate her as well. She is not everyone's cup of tea, I would like to make a couple of things clear.

I am of the belief that a person's sexual preference is hard wired. As a Christian, I believe we are all God's children. God makes no mistakes. If he makes someone gay it's for a purpose. Everything He does is for a purpose. OK we don't always understand the purpose, and there in lies the rub.

I don't necessary believe 'cause you are gay, you believe in casual sex. Unfortunately both communites (homo and hetero) are now becoming more casual in their sexual dealings. All too many couples jump to soon into sex. It is a scientific fact, that once a couple has sex, a chemical imbalance occurs that last for 12 - 18 months. It basically "blinds" you and keeps you from seeing all those little signs you should see before joining with or marrying someone. You just know the divorce is around the corner. All your friends can see it, but you can't (I am speaking hypotherically here).

I do feel its a shame gays cannot legally join. I feel marriage is a religious ceremony but no reason for gays or domestic partners to not be able to participate in a civil, legal union. I'm hoping, with all this passion and concern, that you gay women out there are fighting hard for this change. I believe a committed couple, no matter the arrangement, should be afforded the same protection as other committed couples. Maybe this is your purpose. Use your Community to affect change.

If I have in any way demostrated intolerance, or displayed a bias, I don't apologize because that was not my intent. I may have been inarticulate especially trying to type and do other things and not gotten my point across. When I asked BetaGirl to read Dr. Laura's book, I was not making a comment on Dr. Laura herself, I felt the book was helpful. You dont have to be perfect to be able to give good advice.

Also, please do not assume that all Christians and conservatives believe in the far Right. I am a moderate, middle of the road conservative who has voted for republicans, democrats and independents. I try to weigh all the issues and pick the right person for the job.

Anyway, this has been an interesting discussion and I've enjoyed all the viewpoints. It's always good to get the heart rate up. Just better to do it on a bike than this way don't ya think?

PS: One more note - I have many Christian friends who are very liberal, about as left wing as they come (yes we have fun discussions!). Just because someone is a Christian, don't automatically assume they are a Republican. Christians come in all shapes, sizes, and politicals beliefs. Geez I even have gay friends who are Christian. God does not discrimnate. Everyone is welcome to believe!
    Last edited by bcipam; 02-13-2006 at 02:24 PM.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I am Christian, Southern, conservative, Republican, and an engineer...
    I'm agnostic, Western, liberal, democrat BUT I married an engineer - does that give me some footing on all sides? I agree that everyone, even engineers, are welcome here.

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    Just because someone is a Christian, don't automatically assume they are a Republican. Christians come in all shapes, sizes, and politicals beliefs. Geez I even have gay friends who are Christian. God does not discrimnate. Everyone is welcome to believe!
    bcipam, I am elated to read your post. If I ever misjudge you, you have proved me dead wrong. Reading about your beliefs makes me really happy, for no matter how much I like to argue against those who are homophobic and misogynistic, the fewer of them, the better. Due to the impersonal nature of internet writing, I want to make something clear. In no way I directed my attacks against you; I am deeply pissed at Dr. Laura and wanted to point out that whatever advice she dispense it should be taken with extreme caution.

Given that Dr. Laura has been such a controversial topic of discussion, should we make a a rule about no ever mentioning DR. Phil?
    I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It's not. Mine had me trained in two days. ~Bill Dana

I'm going to repeat what Susan said, we all need to step back and take a deep breath. I don't like it when anyone feels they are unwelcome here at TE, that's not what we are about, is it ladies? Maybe it's time to let this thread die.

Oh - pkq, I can accept a Christian, Southern, conservative, Republican. But an engineer??? My dear you are asking too much!!!

snap "my Daddy is an engineer" dragen

pkq,

we have an ENGINEER?!

Please stay and could you explain to me like I'm a 2 year old how I can possibly get similar gearing on a compact double that I get from my triple? and anything else of course.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    pkq, I can accept a Christian, Southern, conservative, Republican. But an engineer???
    Not an engineer, but an ELECTRIC engineer ? What can I say, nobody is perfect . At least she can ride a bike...
    Last edited by Hell-uv-a-job; 02-13-2006 at 04:04 PM.
    "I might not be riding fast but I'm still quicker than if I were on the couch" -Anonymous

Wow... never read this thread until today. I know things are cooling off, and that's good. I just want to add a quick 2 cents. I am another one of those Christian chicks. I believe in the bible and it really makes me sad to see it taken out of context and ridiculed in a place where I have always felt good about visiting and where I have made some really good friends. I could sit here and take apart all of those mean-spirited posts making fun of the bible, but I won't bother. Suffice it to say that I am a sad TE'er this day.