Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My sweaty jersey and bike shorts after spin class

To disable ads, please log-in.

When I an get motivated I attend a 5:45 a.m. to 6:45 a.m. spin class. Of course, my jersey and bike shorts are soaked with sweat by the time the class ends. (My friend told me that women don't sweat, they perspire.) I have to go to work right after I shower and dress. I don't like leaving the sweaty clothes trapped in my workout bag so when I get to the car I take them out of the bag. unfold them, and lay them on top of the bag. I've thought aboutt rinsing them out in the shower to get some of the sweat out, but then I would have wet clothes to put out in the car. With the warmer weather coming up, I don't want anything to "bake" in the clothes. I know I could bring the workout bag into the office, but then the workout clothes would be confined to the bag again.

I want to take care of my clothes so they last. What do any of you do when you are in same situation as I am?
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Rinse your clothes out, roll them in your towel to get most of the water out (as you would after handwashing them), and lay them out inside the car as you're doing now. Then you can close the towel in the car door with all but the edge on the outside, so it will dry and be held securely.

Alternately, do you share your office bathroom with few enough people that you could hang them there?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Why don't you like leaving the sweaty clothes in your bag? I did this for years... like 20 years, and it never ruined any of my workout clothes, cycling shorts or anything else.
    What I didn't like was the odor in my bag, so I bought a better gym bag with a special place for your dirty clothes. I'd wipe it out after a couple of uses, and it became a non-issue. Hey, for years, my car smelled like a dirty gym locker, because I would leave the clothes in the back of my car while I was at work. In Arizona, no less. I guess I was just used to it.
    I sweat like hell, and I am quite proud of it. Whoever says women "perspire" needs to get used to the idea that we are no different than men in this regard.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

This thread brought back such laughing memories....when I met my hubby I was going to school and a partner in a family business..(60 hour work weeks) So there were often several days worth of dripping workout and chlorine clothes in the back seat of my car...haha He got over it (:

I only do laundry once or twice a week, so most of my sweaty workout clothes sit unwashed for days before getting cleaned. It hasn't ruined them. I do find that certain items do hold onto odor, but some white vinegar in the wash has helped with that to some degree.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

But I've found that it makes an ENORMOUS difference with retained odor if I let the sweaty clothes dry before tossing them into the pile, vs letting the bacteria breed in a lovely damp skin-flake-nutrient-base-saturated dark environment. I think that's what the OP was getting at.

(And, MY husband yells at me if I don't regularly change the towel I sit on to absorb sweat in the car. )

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    But I've found that it makes an ENORMOUS difference with retained odor if I let the sweaty clothes dry before tossing them into the pile, vs letting the bacteria breed in a lovely damp skin-flake-nutrient-base-saturated dark environment. I think that's what the OP was getting at.

(And, MY husband yells at me if I don't regularly change the towel I sit on to absorb sweat in the car. )
    That makes me sense, and I'm sort of embarrassed now that I just throw everything into the dirty clothes pile. Frankly, the things of mine that smell the worst are the things that I wear to yoga that I drive home in while still sweaty and wet. It's gross, but it's nearly impossible to snag a bathroom at either of my studios after class, so I just drive home in my own filth. I don't know that it would help to let those things then air dry when I get home but it couldn't hurt.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I think the faster you get them dry the less they will smell. But less sweat and skin in them will help too, of course. Unless they are truly soaked I think your best option is to just let them air dry them inside out lying on a towel. If they're sopping wet and you have time you might as well rinse them first.

I hang just about all workout clothes to dry after using them, and reuse the ones that djust smell used, not stinky, the day after. I work out outdoors and usually alone, mind you ;-) This is just to minimize laundry. Laundry is probably the biggest wear and tear on your clothes.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Well, I am not embarrassed to throw my clothes into the hamper and let them sit. You shouldn't be, either, Indy. I don't notice any particular bad odor, just "sweaty," or used. Occasionally, I will throw my clothes into the wash on a weekend, but since most of our laundry is sports related clothes, I really don't want to be doing laundry more than 1X a week. Two loads, whites and darks (cycling shorts go in with the whites; hot water). All sports stuff gets hung up to dry.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Got nothing to do with embarrassment. I don't do laundry until either I have a full load or I'm about to run out of clean something, either (although that's more likely to be three loads a week than one, but anyway). I'm not embarrassed to have my sweaty clothes hanging to dry all over my closet and bathroom, making them smell like a locker room. But did I mention I sweat? If I throw my sweaty things in the pile without letting them dry first, they will soak through everything else they're in contact with, and reek to high heaven when the whole damp mess gets washed days later. I'm not a particularly stinky sweater, either, when it's fresh. But all bets are off when it's been wet at the bottom of the pile for five days.

DH rises to a new level. His sweaty stuff actually grew mold in the 5 days until I got to that load of laundry. Ick. I don't have that many sets of workout clothes - so I do laundry a lot. But I wouldn't hesitate to leave them in a bag, in my gym bag, for the day. I have many times.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

My sweaty jersey and bike shorts after spin class

I make my DH dry his out too before they go into the pile. Otherwise they mildew, and there's no fixing mildew.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Between the two of us we usually have three sets of sweaty workout clothes a day and some days four. I do laundry pretty much every other day.

I also drive home in my sweaty clothes. It's too much work to take the things I need to take a shower at the gym.

Oak's idea of rinsing them out and using your towel to squeeze out the excess water sounds good. I'd probably just take them into the shower with me and do it all at once. I know my husband leaves his shower towel hanging in his office at work. Lucky him, he has a nice gym and showers at his office.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

*snork* Sorry if these makes anyone feel uncomfortable, but readind the thread title it suddenly struck me why we sometimes get weirdos hanging around here with strange fixations...

Ah well, to each their own.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Re: My sweaty jersey and bike shorts after spin class

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    *snork* Sorry if these makes anyone feel uncomfortable, but readind the thread title it suddenly struck me why we sometimes get weirdos hanging around here with strange fixations...

Ah well, to each their own.
    LOL Lph

I do not have that many changes of workout clothes so I do laundry every other day for the most part.