Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with First Road Bike for my 70th Birthday!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have ridden a hybrid, for many years. Before being widowed, we did independent tours in Europe, and now I am doing tours with companies. I was urged last year to try a road bike and clipless pedals. I am being fitted next week for the Specialized Ruby Apex, first time with that type of shifting. Has anyone ridden this bike, and if so any good suggestions for getting more experienced with the shifting. Have you had a good experience with this particular bike? I see there are a lot of postings for using clip less pedals, so will read those. I would love to have more knowledge about using the gears on hills, so will have to go out to the suburbs, as I live in Boston. Thanks for any thoughts!

A good friend of mine transitioned from a hybrid to the bike you are buying and she loves it!
    OK, now plugging my club's bike workshop.... March 23d in Concord. Go to the Northeast Thread under "Places to Ride" and there is a link in my thread titled Bike Workshop. We also have a beginner's ride on April 27, with a weekly beginners series starting in May, every Tuesday night.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Actually I just joined AMC, and was going to sign up for this! LOL. after I finished posting on this website. I actually grew up in Concord. I will sign up right now, see you there and would love to learn more about the rides!

Congratulations on the birthday & the present. What a fantastic way to celebrate!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Make sure you introduce yourself!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Re: Help with First Road Bike for my 70th Birthday!

How awesome! Good luck on your new bike when you get her!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I test-rode a Specialized Ruby Apex. Very nice ride. (Just not the right bike for me!) The shifting thing was a little different for me, since I was coming from Shimano road shifters. You'll get used to them, I promise. Take it out in a big empty parking lot when you get the bike and practice.

Happy birthday, and don't forget to show us the bike when you get it! We love pictures.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Congratulations on one of the best birthday gifts----a new bike.
    I have the apex group on my Vaya bike and really like it after coming from shimano sets. It was very easy to get used too, I thought.
    The one slight negative for me is that when trying to find your lowest chainring or granny gear in back I am never sure if I am in the lowest or next to the lowest.
    If you are in the lowest and shift again it will shift back to next to lowest which can be a rude suprise on the hill your attacking. You just have to be aware and plan ahead.
    I'm in my mid 60's and look forward to the best years ahead.
    We'll look forward to your adventures with your Ruby!

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement! I go between being excited and terrified, LOL re: clipless pedals. Since I hadn't used either system, I thought the SRAM might be better for my grip as I age. I've been on a bike tour almost every year since 1988, but circumstances are preventing me this year. Hence, learning to use the road bike this year, in preparation for the next one, hopefully 2014 since I turn 70 in January. Since there is a rail trail on the Cape, and bike lanes along the Charles River in Boston, I have safe places for my first attempts. Hills are the big worry! I'm very determined and adventurous so I know I will be fine! Thanks again...will keep you posted!

i have sram on my dolce because i had the very small hands issue with the other shifters.
    i find the sram shifters pretty easy to use compared to the rapid fire shimano's on my vita.
    the ruby would have been a nice option for me but i didn't want to spend the $$ since i didn't know
    how much i would love the road bike. someday......
    congrats!!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I alternate between being excited and terrified about learning to ride a rode bike with clipless pedals. I'll be fitted next week, and have safe places to practice, bike/walk trails along the Charles River and a rail trail on the Cape. Since circumstances do not allow me to travel on a bike tour this year, I'm hoping to go next year, in celebration of the big 70 in January. By then I should be a pro! LOL The pooch and I will have to do some road and camping trips instead.

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and info on shifters! I know I'll get the hang of it, because I am persistent and patient, and believe that age is just a number,LOL. I'm thinking that after I get fitted next week for the clipless pedals, I may put regular toe clips on. This will give me a chance to feel confident with the shifting and being on a road bike, rather than a hybrid. Maybe I'm feeling over cautious, will have to think about it. Thanks again!!

I've been away for a while but now back and just want to congratulate you on The Birthday and on the plans for The Bike. I've got a Ruby (Comp) and absolutely love her. I've no knowledge of the Apex system but am trying out clipless pedals. I have one suggestion, based on a close encounter with tarmac that I've had, is to get the pedals that are two-sided so you can comfortably practise your gear shifting without being committed to fixing in your feet. My mistake was trying to learn two things at once and my error with the gears led me to stall and overbalance onto the right side and only remembered too late that my right foot was still attached! No big harm done on that occasion but could have been nasty if the road had been a busy one. Trouble with parking-lot practice is that, in my experience, they tend to be on level ground so not a place for trying out gears on hills... I'm getting on better with the gears now so (if it would KINDLY stop snowing!) I feel ready to put in the cleating practice. Good luck to you and looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing how you get on.
    Jul 2013 - Genesis Croix de Fer
    Nov 2012 - 5yr old Specialized Ruby Comp
    2007 - Giant Cypress hybrid

Thanks, I have been researching the responses on the forum regarding clipless pedals. I actually talked to the LBS and had them put toe cages on regular pedals for a start. I am supposed to get fitted on Wed. but we have yet another round of snow coming in tomorrow!! so I will wait and see how bad it is since it is a bit of a drive there. Terry has the 2 sided pedals for sale on theMonday Madness sale for $60 so I am tempted to order them. Although the fellow I have been working with at the LBS has been great, he's an experienced rider and may not know how worrisome is can be to be trying clipless pedals for the first time. He shied me away from the double-sided saying how heavy they were. He was sympathetic to taking things "in stages" however, and gladly just put some inexpensive cages on. It's the hills I am concerned about, when I first try being clipped in.

Just my .02 as someone who is new to being clipped in. I'd start with "comfortable" places as far as being clipped in goes...your subdivision, an empty parking lot, park, etc. I spent several days just going in circles in my cul-de-sac, then I moved out into the subdivision, then to the park and then on a group ride. Once you're comfortable with those things hills won't seem quite so scary. I figure if nothing else, if I find a hill I can't pedal up I can always walk it
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse