Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

What shop are you buying from?
    A salesperson who is telling you not to buy the dual sided pedals because of weight, raises my concern. That's something a racer would be concerned about. He or she might also tell you not to use spd/mountain style pedals on your road bike. You are obviously experienced in many facets of cycling and that will help you. I agree to starting in stages and I also did something similar to Karen when I got my first clip less pedals. First in my neighborhood, then around the area, where the streets were flat, and finally I rode for about 3 weeks with only one foot clipped in and the other resting on top of the cleat. Finally, I felt that was dumb and I was naturally starting to clip in. However, using clip less on hills makes climbing easier; you start out on small hills and build up.
    The one thing I will caution you about with the dual sided "campus" pedals, is because they have the cleat only on one side, that side is heavier and it makes the pedal flip over when you are starting off. Not all of the time, but sometimes you have to kick it to flip it to whatever side you want, be it flat or cleated.
    I will talk to you at the workshop, but I am interested where you bought your bike...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I work in a bike shop. I do tend to caution people new to clipless against the campus pedals because if you want to clip in, they flip over, and having to look down at your pedals at intersections can cost you--I definitely don't talk about the weight! Provided that you're aware of the tendency for them to flip over and it becomes instinct to turn them so that the clip-in mechanism faces up, they're a viable option. (I still tell people to consider a dual-sided (ie, you can clip into either side of the pedal) SPD-type pedal as well if they're thinking of the "campus"-type pedals.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I tried out the campus-style pedals when I first learned to ride. I didn't like them. It took those few extra seconds to flip the pedal to clip in (when it worked the first time), and the platform side was so slick that I couldn't keep my feet on the pedals, so I really couldn't use the platform side. I moved onto good quality BMX pedals and was quite happy with those until I went clipless a year or so later (Speedplay Frogs). That was my experience, but that doesn't mean everyone will have the same issue.

if i can ride clipless, anyone can. i am in my 60's and not the most coordinated person on the planet. i have the dual sided pedals, shimano A530's. i don't find it too difficult to transition between the flat and clipped side. the idea of toe cages scare the daylights out of me and i think they would be more difficult that the clipless.
    if i am changing sides, i just wait until i have my speed up before i clip in. it is sometimes easier to be on the flat side if the situation could create a quick need to stop ie,
    MUT and there are alot of kids on bikes or walkers who aren't paying much attention to where they are walking. the only thing i had problems with was the cleats that came
    with the pedals. i needed to switch to the multi release cleats. they are much easier to clip out with.

Thanks everyone! Due to recent snow, I haven't been fitted for my bike yet, rescheduled it to this Monday. I've decided not to purchase the shoes and pedals I set aside. They offer 10% off things bought with purchase of a new bike, but that's not going to break the bank. I want to be more informed and confident about what I want. As it is, I may not have put enough time into the purchase of the bike, it was an emotional purchase, done too quickly perhaps. I have gotten positive feedback about the bike however, so I'm looking forward to getting out on it finally. I'll get familiar with the SRAM shifting, and then get the clipless pedals/shoes. Looking forward to talking with you at the workshop, Crankin.

Hi again, Citycyclegal! That sounds like a good idea to take it in stages. Also, I guess it means that, when you do buy the clipless pedals and shoes, you'll already have the non clipless variety to swap back to if you want. That comment from the bike shop about pedal weight is only a serious consideration if you are a serious racer, I would have thought. As I'm always on the high end of the 'normal BMI' spectrum I look at it in this way - if I really wanted to lose some more bike-weight, rather than being the LBS dream customer and buying into the featherlight, super-expensive, pro-racing gear saving a few grams here and a few there - well, I could just lose a few grams off me instead :-)). The Ruby is so wonderfully light already and the bits and pieces I've added to her (Crudguards, lights, saddle, bags (top tube and saddle ones), pedals) don't seem to have spoilt her for me. I had a bike fit, by the way, and thoroughly enjoyed it as the guy was really helpful and I went away feeling so much more confident that I could now enjoy the Ruby with the least damage to my ageing body! I wish you years of pleasure from your lovely bike :-))
    Jul 2013 - Genesis Croix de Fer
    Nov 2012 - 5yr old Specialized Ruby Comp
    2007 - Giant Cypress hybrid

re: weight of pedals, that was my thought also...I just listened to him, but knew it wasn't something I would take seriously. He also told me that you didn't add a rack to this bike...? which I also didn't pay attention to, and now I see all the things you have on yours, LOL. Right now, I just want to get the bike, bring it home, and ride it for a while. I'll figure out what I want on it later. I just came back from a bike repair/maintenance workshop, and feel much more confident about my purchase. The workshop was very informative, lots of fun, nice people, and I met Crankin. I talked to people who had the dual pedals, Frogs, and some who changed from them to others. Right now the weather report is saying light snow on Monday...aargh....enough! Fitting on Monday! looking forward to it. Thanks so much!!! everyone for all your replies and encouragement! It means a great deal to me.

Check your private messages, Citycyclegal. You'll see a notification at the top of the window.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Citycyclegal View Post
    re: weight of pedals, that was my thought also...I just listened to him, but knew it wasn't something I would take seriously. He also told me that you didn't add a rack to this bike...? which I also didn't pay attention to, and now I see all the things you have on yours, LOL. Right now, I just want to get the bike, bring it home, and ride it for a while. I'll figure out what I want on it later. I just came back from a bike repair/maintenance workshop, and feel much more confident about my purchase. The workshop was very informative, lots of fun, nice people, and I met Crankin. I talked to people who had the dual pedals, Frogs, and some who changed from them to others. Right now the weather report is saying light snow on Monday...aargh....enough! Fitting on Monday! looking forward to it. Thanks so much!!! everyone for all your replies and encouragement! It means a great deal to me.
    Carbon frames usually lack eyelets for racks. It's not so much "you don't" but "you can't." Although I think "you can't" evolved from "you don't."

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post

I did find I needed the front deraillieur adjusted at the shop a couple of times. And, apparently, that is common with SRAM. Confusing when you are not sure if you are doing it correctly.
    THANK YOU!!

I had that happen to me - and I took it in to be adjusted. The LBS guy wanted to make sure I knew how to shift it.

When I saw the same thing happen to an experienced rider today on an Amira with Apex, I knew it wasn't just me!

To the OP - I love my Ruby!!
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
    THANK YOU!!

I had that happen to me - and I took it in to be adjusted. The LBS guy wanted to make sure I knew how to shift it.

When I saw the same thing happen to an experienced rider today on an Amira with Apex, I knew it wasn't just me!

To the OP - I love my Ruby!!
    When I first bought my Charge home, it needed a bunch of front derailleur tweaking. (It didn't help that I'm not all that experienced with SRAM.) It's better now, but I think it'll need more in not too long.

Congrats on picking out a GREAT bike and happy birthday to you! What a terrific gift to give yourself! I have a Ruby Comp and I absolutely love it. I tried many, many road bikes before deciding on the Ruby. It has a wonderfully smooth ride. Although I have Ultegra components, I'm sure you will get used to SRAM in no time. My boyfriend went with SRAM on his Specialized Tarmac and has no issues. We are both older, me 58 and him 62, and really enjoy the ride quality of Specialized.

Owlie and luvmy guys, I was glad to have remembered your posts about the front derailleur. Due to weather, and circumstances, I have only taken my Ruby out for 2 short rides. I am still becoming familiar with the SRAM, but did notice that some tweaking may be needed. Looks like some good weather and free time coming up next week, so I'm really looking forward to getting out!