Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Bike Sizing

Question Bike Sizing

To disable ads, please log-in.

Road a Surly touring bike - very sweet. My problem - I need a 48 & Surly makes a 50 and a 46. My road bike is a 50 but could be a tad smaller & be OK. I road a 52 & the standover height was too tall - I could stand but not comfortably (if you know what I mean...)

Should I go with the 50? Or size down to the 46? I've read that smaller is better with touring bikes but I'm not quite sure why.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Have you read the surly website yet. I fit between a 52 and a 54, I am leaning toward the 54 disc trucker and I plan to shorten the stem so I am not too stretched out. Go to the site and read the top tube length. My Rivendell which is a 54 has a shorter top tube than the Surly 54. I would tend to lean to the 50 if the standover is okay. Did you measure your PBH? here it the bike hermits blog post on fitting your touring bike in case you haven't. And here is Grant post on how to measure your PBH. OHHH I am excited to hear what you do. The idea behind my getting is a disc trucker is so I can have some wide tires and good braking for back country adventure touring.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Hey Sky - great minds gravitate to the same websites (ha!) I've been to both of them. I'm leaning towards the 46 after reading the bike hermit website. The cool thing is, if it doesn't fit the bike shop will just order another. No deposit required & no downside - although I hate to stick a LBS with a bike.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid