Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Looking for a "New" Road Bike

I'm sure I'm not the only person to ask this question nor will I be the last. I got back into cycling this past fall after a 15 year hiatus. Bought a Trek Neko S Dual Sport (16" frame) for trail riding with my husband and group of friends. Now I want to get back into road cycling. My road bike is about 20 years old and is very heavy. Looking for a new/gently previously owned road bike. I am 5'2" and weigh about 115 lbs. Any suggestions for an entry/mid level bike that won't break the bank, i.e. $600 - $1200 range?

Thanks,

Rosanna
    Last edited by DocZan89; 03-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Re: Looking for a "New" Road Bike

Plus one! Also could look at Giant. Their prices are pretty good as well. Obviously I went with Jamis :-)
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I would also check with your local Cannondale dealer, as they may have a 2012 closeout that will fit your budget and give you more bang for your budget!

I am your height and recently bought a 47 cm Trek Pilot 5.0 (carbon frame/Ultegra components) for $700 + shipping on ebay. If you know your size and are willing to buy a used bike, you will get more bang for your buck on craigslist or ebay. If you don't know your size (since that involves more than height and will vary per manufacturer and frame geometry), you are far better off going to a good LBS and being properly fitted.

Good luck!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Here's a really good article on 2012 road bikes at around that price range.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...er-1000-32772/

A Specialized Dolce also might fit your bill. I am 5'2 and a 48cm is a great fit for me.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Quote Originally Posted by DocZan89 View Post
    Looking for a new/gently previously owned road bike. I am 5'2" and weigh about 115 lbs. Any suggestions for an entry/mid level bike that won't break the bank, i.e. $600 - $1200 range?

Thanks,

Rosanna
    You can get a really nice new bike for the price range you are looking. Specialized Dolce or Trek Lexa come to mind. You should be able to get the new Shimano Tiagra or the SRAM Apex 10 speed parts on an aluminum frame/carbon fork.
    No reason to get someones used bike with no fitting, warranty or shop support unless you need to look at $400 bikes.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. A lot of what you've been recommending are what I've been looking at but hadn't gotten around to try. Glad to know I was on the right track.

Update..I did indeed find a bike that I like. A friend of mine had a 2008 Lemond that she was selling. Needless to say I am now it's owner. Feels good, nice and light and was a great price! Will let you know how I make out when I take it out for a real ride.

Thanks again all.

Rosanna