Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cute kid stories

To disable ads, please log-in.

We have a "pets" thread, "Dear so-and-so", and some others. How about a thread for stories about our kids?

My daughter and her boyfriend text each other constantly. Our family ate at a restaurant a couple nights ago and she put her cell phone away. "It's ok," her dad & I said, "you can text him."
    She replied, "I think it's rude to text when you are at a restaurant with other people."

I love telling that story mainly because I get to say "my daughter and her boyfriend". She's 17 and this is her first ever boyfriend. Only I can't tell it too much because she's pretty prickly about me mentioning her boyfriend.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Good for her!

She has good manners! That's great.

What a cute thread, I love kid stories!

Last year I was with my three year old granddaughter, and she was (and still is actually) on a "why" kick... why, why, why? All the time, her mom says it can be very annoying after a while. LOL. Anyway, I told her finally that she was a little Miss Super Why (a cartoon character on PBS) and she said of course, "why am I a little Miss Super Why?" and I said "because you ask WHY all the time!". And then after a pause she said "Why do I ask why all the time??"...

Still cracks me up to think about it.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

A kid at work said I was a mermaid.

I was administering a standardized test of vocabulary, which consists of single word picture naming. His speech is quite poor and his language is telegraphic--a pretty good strategy for him, since he's hardly using any consonants at all and it simplifies things enough to occasionally get his point across. So imagine his part of the following conversation delivered by a charming 5 year old using no consonants (unless you count glottal stop as a consonant).

Me: What's this?
    Him: Mermaid.
    Him: Me not mermaid.
    pause
    Him: (pointing) You mermaid.
    both laugh
    Me: Nah! I have legs!
    Him: (Extends both legs in the air) Me legs too.
    Last edited by malkin; 03-16-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I generally hate kid stories (maybe too many years living in a "my kid is better than yours" environment), but I had a funny one this week. I am in the process of "terminating" with an 11 y/o boy with PDD. We were looking at a calendar, so he could have a visual of when our last session would be. My colleague, who is a BA level parent educator and is just becoming an English speaker (she's pretty good) was there, too. So, the kid looks at the calendar and says, "When is your birthday?" I tell the date and then he says "How old are you going to be?" My colleague and I start laughing hysterically and tell him, "Don't ever ask an older woman her age. It's considered rude." He laughed, said OK, and then said, "Like in your fifties?" I told him it was such a big number, he would faint, but that he was close.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I have a funny one from a couple of years ago when I was lifeguarding part-time at the YMCA pool...one day this little boy, probably four or five years old, came over to the side of the little pool and randomly asked "If you fart underwater, will it be stinky?". I replied that not only would it stink, but the bubbles would make it clear to everyone exactly who did it!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I had pinkeye a couple of weeks ago, and I was lamenting the fact that my eye looked kind of weird. My 5 year old son told me, "No, your red eye looks really good, Mom. You look like a dragon."

5 year old boys are awesome.

haha that's a good one.
    And as for little boys, this is still one of my family favorites.
    My son was maybe all of three or four. I was sick, DH had taken him to the supermarket. They are in the express line, rush hour.
    Loud little boy voice: "Daddy, tell me again why Grandpa cut off part of your penis"....This of course pertains to the circumcision/non-circumcision discussion that they had had previously...
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    haha that's a good one.
    And as for little boys, this is still one of my family favorites.
    My son was maybe all of three or four. I was sick, DH had taken him to the supermarket. They are in the express line, rush hour.
    Loud little boy voice: "Daddy, tell me again why Grandpa cut off part of your penis"....This of course pertains to the circumcision/non-circumcision discussion that they had had previously...
    Oh my gawd, how hilarious is that one?
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

These are good.
    When a little kid asks "Why" or any question really a good answer is, "Why (or what, as appropriate) do you think?"
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Irulan, your story reminds of the time a close friend took her 3 or 4 year old daughter to their rental house to collect the rent from the renter. Her daughter (a friend of my older son), looked at the guy and said to her mom, "Does he have a penis?" To which my friend replied, "I don't think he has any peanuts. We can eat some later."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

My son was about 5 when we went to a fast food restaurant and on our entering there, we saw two policemen carrying pizzas. My son asked loudly: "Mom, why aren't these COPS having doughnuts?"
    Also it's not very common in our country to see women wearing hijabs so my 4-year-old son sees a group of muslim women at a seaside resort and he asks (this time not as loudly): "Mom, are they NINJAS"
    Children are very open and they speak their minds which could sometimes embarrass adults

uppppppppppppppp

What a great thread!

Last week my 5 year old told me that she remembered when Jesus was born. "oh!" I said, "when was Jesus born?" She confidently replied "In the year of the donkey". My reverend father has been enjoying retelling that one.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.