Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Lost & found- affirmations of goodness in many people

To disable ads, please log-in.

I lost a (fake) pearl dropping earring at work yesterday. Even checked across 2 building floors, washrooms..
    It was turned into Security office! This is a building with over 1,000 employees plus public wandering about.

My faith in goodness of some people continues because:
    *4 months ago: I left pkg. by a bank machine in a shopping mall. I reported it in person at mall security office. 3 wks. later, Someone delivered an envelope of work documents to my work building 5 blocks away.

Other incidents over past 25 yrs.:

*Left a purse hanging on hook in washroom cubicle. In a shopping mall. I retrieved purse from security staff 1 hr. later. (Yea, had wallet, etc.)
    *Left a SLR Nikon camera on subway train. 5 min. getting off subway train, I realized I left it behind. I retrieved camera 20 min. later from subway authorities' lost and found office.
    *Left purse on back of shopping mall food court chair. I retrieved purse half hr. later from security desk.
    *Left wallet on ferry to Nantucket Island. I was in a panic. I was in a foreign country without my wallet. I reported to ferry office. Wallet mailed to me 3 wks. later to Canada.

Security staff can be valuable...anywhere.

I have no interest in carrying a hand/shoulder purse. For me it must be knapsack type.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I lost a diamond earring in an aerobics class. (I found the back!!). I filed an insurance claim and before I received the check, someone at the gym found the earring and turned it in to the front desk. I was shocked to get it back! I never found out who found it and returned it!

My husband was on a cross-country motorcycle trip. He left his wallet at a gas station in Colorado. The lady who found it searched through the wallet and called the only phone number she found in it. The number belonged to our insurance agent. The insurance agent contacted me. I contacted my husband. He contacted the good samaritan and retrieved his wallet. The woman would not accept ANY reward. I really don't know what would have happened if he did not get his wallet back. It had all is money, credit cards, ATM and ID! He was 1500 miles from home!!
    Last edited by Adventure Girl; 03-06-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

11 years ago when I moved to Indianapolis, I left my purse in a shopping cart at Kmart. I didn't notice it for about 20 minutes, went back and of course I didn't find it. Headed home kicking my butt...and opened my apartment door to find it sitting there in the middle of the floor! Someone found it, looked up my address and took it to my apartment manager. The apartment manager put it in my apartment and nothing was missing! The manager checked with me the next day to make certain that nothing was missing, it was all pretty amazing and it happened so fast! I DID go to a small thing at church before going home, so probably 2 hours had passed between losing it and arriving home.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-06-2013 at 03:57 PM.

My SO found a money clip in a ski area parking lot. It contained a drivers license, Amex credit card and $200 cash. Because of the cash we were reluctant to turn it into lost and found so we took it to the local police dept. They called Amex, got the guys telephone no. and called him. He was on his way to the airport with no ID. He had looked for it but gave up. He was able to turn around to get it and still make his flight. The guy made a point of calling and thanking my SO.

On a different note a local shop that I buy my skis and boots from sent me an email and told me how much they appreciate me continuing to do business with them. I live in ski country and could get better deals from many other shops but I know the owners and their service is so good. Last year I bought a pair of skis from them. I paid for the skis but somehow the charges on my credit card got reversed and I ended up owing $0 for the skis. They probably would have caught it sooner or later but I told them immediately about the reversal. I couldn't "cheat" them out of their money.

It's so nice to hear about the goodness of others. I lost my wallet last week - pretty sure I left it at a restaurant I picked up takeout from. Have called several times with no luck, even put up an ad on Craigslist with no response. When I called my bank to report my card lost, there hadn't been any fraudulent activity, so I just keep praying that some good soul will find it. In the meantime, it sure has been a pain getting replacements of everything!!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I would have visited the restaurant in person to make the query with a piece of paper/business card in hand. Have you tried at least reporting it to the police? You never know.. Make sure you do this. The police aren't looking at craiglist (much).

Catrin, that's cool.
    Adventurecycling, impressive. A diamond earring. Now, I would not be good with quite expensive jewellery.

Oh yea, more stories:

*My partner left behind his pannier full of some clothes, etc. in a parking lot. We were finishing a group bike ride. He forget to check on the other side of the car that was giving us a car lift with bikes, belongings. Then 30 km. later, he realized his pannier wasn't there. They drove back to parking lot but it was gone.

Dearie received a phone call a day later. A woman with her child when shopping, picked up the pannier.

So dearie went from Vancouver (cycling), took a 2 hr. ferry ride over to Vancouver Island (where we did our group ride) and biked, then got the pannier back from her. He biked over 120 km. that day.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-06-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

My dad lost his wallet in the Dallas airport, somehow. (Luckily, he was on his way home when it happened.) Some kind soul found it, got our address off his driver's license, and mailed it to him, cash and everything still in place. Dad sent him a very nice thank-you note.

More recently, he left his wallet in a hotel room in Boston and checked out. He discovered his lack of wallet when he got to the airport. (They did let him on the plane. How, I do not know. I think he had alternate but unconventional forms of picture ID on him.) The hotel housekeeping found it, and the hotel called his cell phone to tell him they had found his wallet and that they'd FedEx it.

Yes, my dad has a knack for losing his wallet while traveling.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Years ago I was between jobs and, when the end of the semester approached, I went back for a couple of weeks to the college where I'd graduated, to type people's term papers and try to make a few bucks.

This was in the days before ATMs and large chain banks. All my earnings, like $1500 in cash and checks IIRC, were in my wallet. I was couch surfing and didn't really feel I could leave anything valuable in the apartments and dorm rooms where I slept for a couple of days at a time before mooching off another friend.

This was also in the days before cell phones, Facebook and Google. My name and home address 100+ miles away were in my wallet. No local contact information, since I didn't really have any.

I skipped off to church one morning. By the time I came back from services, the person I was staying with had had a phone call from campus security that someone had found my wallet in the grass. I hadn't even yet noticed I'd lost it. They'd tracked me down through the grapevine. Nothing was missing.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

There's a slight complication to do-gooding in NYC. Police have planted backpacks and purses, and arrested anyone who picked them up. This news story says the person is arrested only if they walk past a uniformed police officer without turning in the item, but I still would not touch anything on the subway. I'm glad the person who found my wallet in the subway station and returned it to me wasn't afraid to pick it up.

When I found a wallet on the bike path, I was a little worried about picking it up, but it seemed unlikely that a sting operation would be set up in that location.

Years ago my dbf was at the dentist having some work done, when he got a phone call, not to his cell phone, but at the dentist's office phone. It turned out to be a guy who found his wallet in a cab, and noticed the appointment card in there. He didn't even notice the wallet was missing yet, so he got it back before going through the stress of knowing it was lost.

This is a great thread.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Years ago we were down the street at the Rite Aid store with our bikes. My bf must have left his wallet on the top of his pannier rack and rode off. When we later discovered it was missing we called Rite Aid. They had it. Someone had picked it up and brought it into the store until it's owner could be found.

A few years ago I was riding the Colorado National Monument route here while Ride the Rockies was in town and they were riding it also. Lots of riders. I spotted a credit card and drivers license laying in the road. It belonged to someone from California. I picked it up and brought to the RtR officials when I got into town. Hope they got it back to the guy! I assume the rider had stashed it in his jersey pocket and it fell out when he was rummaging around in there while riding along.

The next week I was riding Bicycle Tour of Colorado (for reals) and again found someone's credit card along the route. Hope that got back to the owner.

I always put all my little pocket items into a small nylon stuff sack and put that in my jersey pocket.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    There's a slight complication to do-gooding in NYC. Police have planted backpacks and purses, and arrested anyone who picked them up. This news story says the person is arrested only if they walk past a uniformed police officer without turning in the item, but I still would not touch anything on the subway. I'm glad the person who found my wallet in the subway station and returned it to me wasn't afraid to pick it up.

When I found a wallet on the bike path, I was a little worried about picking it up, but it seemed unlikely that a sting operation would be set up in that location.
    Seriously?? Surely there are better things for police to be doing?!

I was on the greenway a few months ago and saw a car key on the side of the path. I thought about leaving it, in case the person who lost it was trying to find it. But I decided their chances of finding it were slim. I picked it up and asked every single person I passed or who passed me from behind if they had lost a key. Most folks looked at me like I was crazy, which i thought was strange.
    I got to the parking lot and hadn't found the owner. I went back down the path about a mile or so again asking everyone I saw. Finally I went back to the parking lot and tried to figure out what to do. I thought about turning it in to the police, hanging it on the trail head sign...just wasn't sure what to do. Finally, I realized, duh, i can figure out if the car is in the lot by hitting the unlock button. I foudn the car and waited around for 15 min or so to see fi the owner returned. In the end, I wrapped the key up in a piece of paper and stuck it on the front seat, out of site. Not sure if it was the right thing to do...but I hoped that the owner got back to his car before a thief did. Would you have taken it to the police?
    I always double check to make sure my key is tightly secured in my saddle bag now, in the key hook thingy!

A few days ago I was trying to open the hood of my car to put more washer fluid in. FOr some reason I always have trouble with that, I can't ever find the latch. A guy pulled up next to me and asked if I needed help and popped it open. Only took a second of his time, but it just made me smile. It's so nice to have a stranger lend a hand when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny4 View Post
    I wrapped the key up in a piece of paper and stuck it on the front seat, out of site. Not sure if it was the right thing to do....
    I've found keys in someone's car door and just locked them in the car. Not that you can do that with a modern car, but at the time, I figured that if they didn't have a second key, the cost of a locksmith is still less than the cost of a new car. Nowadays I'd probably make a note of the plate and drop them at the cop shop.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Penny4 View Post
    In the end, I wrapped the key up in a piece of paper and stuck it on the front seat, out of site. Not sure if it was the right thing to do...but I hoped that the owner got back to his car before a thief did. Would you have taken it to the police?
    Some nice person did this for me when I dropped my key next to my car in a grocery store parking lot. I was very appreciative that someone took a moment to help a stranger and thankful that I didn't have to try to track down the key in the store or police dept.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

I've had my wallet stolen (at ASU, when it was stashed in my briefcase under my desk when I was a TA) and it was returned, but only after I had replaced everything. What a pain. They saw my faculty ID and returned it to the department office. I've never lost anything, though.
    I keep my small bike sized wallet in my purse, which is kept under the front seat of my locked car (I have a station wagon, so no trunk), when I go in to see clients at their homes or schools. I bring my work bag in with me, where I have my cell phone, glasses, and a couple of bucks. I don't take my wallet into my office, either. I used to take my purse in with me to clients, and then, about a year ago, I *think* I had some money stolen. I say think, because I couldn't remember how much cash I had. I rarely use cash for anything, and when I get it, it's usually a good amount, so I don't have to go to the ATM too often. I also keep my car key, the electronic kind, either in a zipped pocket in a coat, or in the same exact spot in my work bag or purse. I am obsessive about checking to see that I have it before exiting my car, as it's not the kind of key that can go on a chain.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport