Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Bike Workshop

Bike Workshop

To disable ads, please log-in.

This workshop is for new riders, those who want to learn a bit more about mechanics, or people returning to cycling. There is a 20 mile ride after the workshop, if you want to practice riding skills. DH and I do the Basic Bike session; i.e. you get to see a lot of my shwag!
    If the link doesn't work, I can send you the registration information.

Bike Repair and Information Workshop
    March 23
    Open
    Improve your bike knowledge and ride preparedness! Concepts and repairs will be discussed and demonstrated at four stations: basic bike, general maintenance, flat tires, and brakes & derailleurs. Receive an extensive handout to take home. During lunch (included) discuss with the instructors topics such as touring, safety, bike accessories, bike clothing, what to carry with you on a ride, finding bike routes, and where to shop. 9:45am-3:30pm Advance registration is recommended. Prices are: $30 for AMC members adults, $35 for non-members adults, $15 and $20 for youths ages 12-18. $40 at the door for all. For more information visit: http://amcboston.org/bicycle/workshop.php
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Thanks for doing this, Crankin. It's bound to enable some new riders to overcome their fear of breaking down while on a ride. More butts on more bikes is a great thing!

This looks like a lot of fun Crankin!

Gee, thanks, guys. Now I just need someone in the Boston/southern NH area to see this and sign up!
    We've done this for a few years and it's getting a little harder each year, as AMC is really reaching out to people who are total newbies, and a lot of them are from the city. Just coming to Concord for the workshop is a big deal. What riding means to them is totally different. I get it, believe me, but this makes a lot of the information overwhelming to them and sometimes they get defensive. But hey, I get to make my "no underwear" joke when talking about bike shorts, and then quickly follow it up by saying "you can ride in anything you want, but you need to be comfortable and not chafed."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Gee, thanks, guys. Now I just need someone in the Boston/southern NH area to see this and sign up!
    We've done this for a few years and it's getting a little harder each year, as AMC is really reaching out to people who are total newbies, and a lot of them are from the city. Just coming to Concord for the workshop is a big deal. What riding means to them is totally different. I get it, believe me, but this makes a lot of the information overwhelming to them and sometimes they get defensive. But hey, I get to make my "no underwear" joke when talking about bike shorts, and then quickly follow it up by saying "you can ride in anything you want, but you need to be comfortable and not chafed."
    Can you change the location to make it more accessible? Concord is hard to get to without a car.

The club has never had any complaints about the location. And most of the rides in this club start in this area, so people do travel to ride starts. The Trinitarian Church has been letting us use the space for free since the beginning of time. It's not that the participants don't have cars (well, some carpool), it's not even the specific location. I can't put a finger on it, but just showing them the variety of bikes (we show a hybrid, road bike, mountain bike, sometimes a "relaxed" version of a road bike) and choices for helmets and clothing sets some of them off. The first thing we do is a helmet demo, i.e. how to wear it correctly on your head. People get mad over this, when they realize they have been wearing it incorrectly. We are very up front about you don't have to spend a lot of $, but there is an initial investment, for safety and comfort. The first couple of years, we had mostly people who wanted to get into cycling in the way that I did; they asked great questions and were positive. This type of participant has become less of the entire group in the past 2 years. They also now let people bring their kids over age 12 and the last thing I need is a surly teenager falling asleep! I ignore it as much as I can, but if they become disruptive (happened once), I just use my teaching skills.
    AMC attracts a different type of rider, overall, than the other club I belong to. I like the fact they are trying to get more people into cycling, I just don't want them to come in with a chip on their shoulder. I hate to say this, but it's usually the women who present an attitude. I do a lot of joking about my klutziness and lack of mechanical skills to put them at ease and this usually calms them down. There's always comments about how they couldn't do what I do or they don't have someone help them... I explain that it took me a long time to get the skills I have now and how, despite the fact I was an instructor at a gym, the first time I went for a ride, DH had to push me up a small hill with the back of his hand. Then I encourage them to go to the beginner series rides on Tuesday nights. It's a great way to learn. I've also cued DH to some of his language that might put people off. He's very good at explaining the differences between the different types of bikes and the advantages/disadvantages of each. And every year, some woman always becomes "enamored" of him. I just sit back and laugh...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The club has never had any complaints about the location.
    Oh, we'll your post sounded like no one had signed up and that many previous participants were from the city (I assume Boston), so I thought that perhaps the location was an issue. Carry on, then! It loos like an informative workshop.

I meant maybe someone from TE to sign up. We have participants for this year; traditionally, they sign up at the last minute, like the week before. I think it's just that we are dealing with some of the people who are not only learning about bikes and bike skills, but they are also trying to get fit, as opposed to others who are reasonably active and then they decide to start riding. The best example I can give, is someone who wants a bike to take a little ride on the path along the Charles. Maybe they are thinking of going to Walmart to get the bike. Then they come to the workshop and get hit with things like derailleurs, changing a flat, and what, there's special shorts for riding? So, we've adjusted to the fact that we have to teach to widely varying levels of familiarity and comfort with some of the things we are presenting.
    It's still fun, and it makes me think of how much I have learned in the last 11 years.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hi Crankin. I'm in Ayer and would like to attend, but I don't yet have a bike. I'm just starting the search (on hold while we dig out of all this snow!). Would it be worthwhile to attend without a bike?

You need to bring the front wheel of a bike to participate in the change a flat part of the workshop. You do not need a bike. If you can't borrow the wheel off of someone's bike, why don't you email Valerie, the person running the workshop, to see if someone can bring an extra wheel for you.
    It would be very worthwhile for you to attend before you start riding!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Still space open for last minute people.
    I think the snow is putting people off of thinking about cycling.