Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cast iron skillet made a very loud cracking sound!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh dear my 6" lodgepole cast iron skillet is toast I think. I was cooking something the other day. Forgot what it was but anyway as the skillet was heating up on a gas stove, I heard the ear shattering loud "crack" luckily the bottom hasn't fallen out yet. I do see on the bottom of the skillet a what appears to be a crack going all the way around. Cooking side of the skillet, I see a partial line half way around the skillet.

Has anyone heard of such thing. I thought Lodgepole skillets were indestructible!! I've had it for over 30 years!!! Now I have to start over. This is a major major bummer!! Now my food isn't going to taste the same!!

I ended up cooking with it and few more meals but I see the line getting longer.

As they say in toon town, "That's all folks!!"

That stinks I'd contact Lodge to see if they've heard of it before. I know they can crack if dropped on something hard (concrete) and that very uneven heating can cause it - but it hardly sounds like that's what happened here. I would be very sad if mine cracked. I have 3 and use them 90% of the time. It also sucks because I think they only sell pre-seasoned now. I'm not sure I like that. Mine took a long time to get conditioned - but they're amazing now.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

It couldn't hurt to contact Lodge. I don't think they offer an express warranty on their seasoned cast iron, but they may be willing to replace it or give you a discount off a new one. But that stinks.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I also didn't know it was possible! When my Mammaw passed last year I got her skillets, I don't know when she got them but everything she cooked was just better. She was 94 when she passed so there was years of seasoning in them, I would never have the patience to properly season one. Hope they at least warranty it.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Cast iron skillet made a very loud cracking sound!!

I have hears that quality really varies on the new stuff, but not the old. I would bet there was some some of flaw in the metal that finally fatigued and snapped.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I believe Lodge cast iron is made in China now and their is not much oversight of production quality. I heard something about "back yard smelting" so it may not even be factory made.

I looked into US made cast iron cookware and it is EXPENSIVE. So, you get what you pay for. But not really because I've had my cheap cast iron skillets for a long time now, so I got the better deal.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

ahhh, she's had the skillet for 30 years - so it's not a new fangled preseasoned Chinese product.

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I believe Lodge cast iron is made in China now and their is not much oversight of production quality. I heard something about "back yard smelting" so it may not even be factory made.

I looked into US made cast iron cookware and it is EXPENSIVE. So, you get what you pay for. But not really because I've had my cheap cast iron skillets for a long time now, so I got the better deal.
    FWIW, not all of Lodge's product line is made overseas. They indicate on their website--and I'd like to assume this is true--that their "seasoned steel" products are still made in Tennessee. Their enamel pieces, however, are made in China.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Can anybody recommend a good cast iron skillet brand? I'm in the market but because of the "made overseas" stuff, I just don't know what is decent.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I buy Griswold skillets at antique shops, flea markets, Ebay, etc. The new stuff just isn't as smooth as a Griswold! Even if I have to invest some time stripping and re-seasoning it, the effort is worth it. Wagner is another good (old) brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good cast iron skillet brand? I'm in the market but because of the "made overseas" stuff, I just don't know what is decent.
    I know I already said this, but Lodge's "seasoned" cast iron is still made in the USA at a foundry in Tennessee.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post

Le Creuset. Hands down my favorite. I bought a set of the stuff on Ebay 12 years ago for a ridiculous price, and it's fabulous! Over the years I've bought more pieces. I use this stuff several times a week. It's occasionally on sale at Sur La Table.

And there is a lifetime warranty. I actually burned a chunk of the interior enamel (about 1" square) off one of my pots, and they replaced it for either no charge, or maybe just a shipping charge. Either way, it was a very good deal.

I don't believe La Cruset does a non- enameled line, isn't it all glazed on the inside?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I have a Le Creuset skillet that's bare cast iron on the inside, enamel on the outside. Pretty sure they still make those.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Good to know that Lodge non-enamel products are made here. Thanks!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike