Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okie dokey, 144.8 for this week. Not what I would prefer, but it is in the right direction.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

hmmmm, apparently my scales have been lying to me, lying I say! I had a Bod Pod this morning just before my Sunday Funday workout, which means that I was up for a couple of hours. Normally I weigh as soon as I rise - and I did this morning. Typically my weight starts changing pretty quickly after rising which is why I weigh before then when my weight was at the lowest.

Not only was my weight less than .5 pound heavier than my lying scales told me, but I've lost 2% body fat in the last 10 weeks, which makes me happy! I try to schedule my Bod Pods at the same time of day and day of the week since all of that really does matter. Granted, I don't eat before that test but still, there should have been more than a .5 pound difference after being up a couple of hours.

STILL can't figure out how to get the battery out of my scales - there appears to be no good way to release it. If I have to replace the entire scale because I can't change the battery I won't be a happy woman.

Here is a picture of the battery compartment. My problem is there seems to be no way to "release" the battery. I am probably missing the obvious but this isn't my first attempt and I am rather frustrated with it. Surely I don't need to buy a new scale because my battery is low?!?! What am I missing? Thanks! That clamp at the in the bottom left corner apparently wasn't meant to be loosened/removed - or at least I can't make it do so...

Attachment 16158

Great job on the fat loss, Catrin! Out of curiosity--and if you don't mind sharing, how many pounds have you lost since changing to a Paleo diet and what percentage of fat loss during that same period?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Great job on the fat loss, Catrin! Out of curiosity--and if you don't mind sharing, how many pounds have you lost since changing to a Paleo diet and what percentage of fat loss during that same period?
    If my memory serves correctly, I was pretty much on pretty stubborn weight/BF plateau for close to two years before changing to a Paleo diet (after losing 80 pounds before that). I made the switch in August and in the 8 months since then I've lost 10-12 pounds, and 5% body fat. FINALLY I am in the "moderately lean" category (barely) and no longer in the "excess fat" category. I've barely crossed that line but I DID cross it

I lost most of my weight under a very different diet, but I feel so much better eating this way! I am still tweaking things a bit as I continue to learn more about what my body likes, but it has been a good journey. I WOULD like to see my BF% drop down into the next category eventually (Lean), but that would mean losing another 8% BF and I don't know how realistic that is - not having a thryoid OR reproductive system (including no ovaries and I don't take hormones) doesn't help. Right now I want to get it more firmly into my current category and then we shall see. It is harder to do this at 53 than at 35...
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-22-2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: corrected BF% lost

March/April Weight Management Challenge

I was on a 2 week trip...1 week of it was biking in Texas. I got back and weighed 144...up a half pound. Will see what this week looks like.
    2013 Gunnar Sport
    2008 Rivendell Atlantis
    2006 Orbea Onix

OK, I don't think I posted for 4/19 #142...and I'm posting what tomorrow's weigh in will be, for the last Friday, 4/26 #142...since it will be close to what I was today anyway.

Again. It's very strange that my weight would be so stable for 3 weeks in a row. While my goal is 2 lbs. away, this is a good overall weight for me. Since this has coincided with my ramping up my cycling, I am assuming that eventually I will lose 2 more pounds.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Re: March/April Weight Management Challenge

I know how frustrating that can be Crankin! Does your weight fluctuate during the week? Do you exercise on the same days each week? For me I've noted that I need a rest day or two for my body to give up any exercise induced fluid retention.

I will weigh in tomorrow since I had such an intensive strength session yesterday.

I pretty much exercise on the same days each week, although while the boot camp days stay the same, which days I ride or hike/run vary a little. I almost always take Tuesdays off, sometimes I ride early AM that day and I take Friday off. Some weeks I take both Tuesday and Friday off, with one of those days being a walk or light yoga.
    My weight fluctuates greatly throughout the week and throughout the day. After the weekend, my weight used to be up to as high as 109, lately, it's been more 107.8, which is a sign that I am losing. I rarely weigh myself on Mondays. I only notice the exercise induced fluid retention when I've done a really hard effort, like one of the rides I did last weekend, or a tour, or weekend vacation of riding. Boot camp usually stabilizes my weight or makes me lose. Last year at this time, I was running in addition to all of the other stuff and I think that's what induced my weight loss; the loss pretty much stayed through this January, even though I stopped running last June.
    I am more prone to using exercise as a weight control method than really restricting my food. I have changed my eating a lot, but I go for healthy eating and I don't "diet."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    ... I have changed my eating a lot, but I go for healthy eating and I don't "diet."
    Personally I think THIS is the key - good, healthy food and fueling our bodies properly for what we demand from them - otherwise we set ourselves up in other ways. My group training sessions are intense but are a different mix of activities from what I've seen of the boot camp classes at my gym at least. They are either centered around strength training and Olympic lifting OR around the crazy wild stuff we do - of course there is always a dynamic warmup and some level of metabolic conditioning at the end.

I try to only weigh once a week these days - basically to keep a check on myself. My current focus is to change my body composition and not to worry so much about the number on the scale (I say that like it is easy to not worry about that number) - and it is hard to lose body fat AND gain muscle at the same time. I don't think that is easy at any age, but certainly more difficult at 50+. That is ok, I am having a lot of fun working at it - and while I've not gained much lean muscle mass I AM losing body fat.

Does your boot camp feature a lot of running? The boot camp classes at my gym does - far more than what we do.

Not so much running. More like one minute intervals of running, mountain climbers, jacks, and all that other torture with weights and core in between. It's not a traditional boot camp.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Re: March/April Weight Management Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Not so much running. More like one minute intervals of running, mountain climbers, jacks, and all that other torture with weights and core in between. It's not a traditional boot camp.
    Sounds like my group training class when he focuses on cardio I wish you were closer so you could join us as my guest.

Yes, we use free weights and bands, as well as weighted bars and stability balls. No machines or heavy weights. I would say one of the classes I go to a week is probably a little more cardio oriented and the other tends to be more weights and core, with some, but less cardio.
    I've done personal training twice and neither seemed to make much of a difference, except a little upper body definition. Of course, this was before a lot of the current group training stuff and I always convinced the trainer I couldn't do one more . And my eating was still a little carb heavy then, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

144.2 for me this week.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Finishing April at 125, which is not at all what I had in mind. I'm hoping to recommit to my goals today.
    ~Jen
    2008 Trek Madone 5.1/compact double/Terry Butterfly
    My family's food and winemaking blog is www.flahertywines.com