Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Selling Collectibles?

To disable ads, please log-in.

When I was a child my Nanny and Pawpaw would buy me this Lennox Figurines and I have I think 10 or 12. I am not really into them and my husband has deemed them "creepy" (I don't know why). I would give them to my nieces but honestly they'd break them or their many dogs and cats would. Even though my grandparents thought they were something to buy for children, I really do not think they are.

I was considering selling them but don't know the best way to do so. Unfortunately my grandparents did not keep the Certificate of Authenticity on them but they are still in good condition, just taking up space in my china cabinet. Here are two of the ones I have that appear to be selling right now on Ebay. I might keep the one in the full dress if I keep any, it was always might favorite for some reason. Suggestions on what is the simplest way to get rid of them? I don't really want to put them in a garage sell and Ebay can be a pain in the rear but I will do that if needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/House-of-Bro...item2a23038c78

http://www.ebay.com/itm/House-Broel-...80976061560%26
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I have a collection of china horses ( Beswick, Lefton etc) that I would like to do the same with. I call them dust collectors.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

That is my feeling on them and honestly the china I inherited from my Nanny that I have used once. I do collect cookie jars but those are at least useful dust collectors. I kept them for a few years after my Nanny died to make sure I wouldn't feel some strange attachment to them but nope, they are just taking up space and catching dust.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Sell them and know that someone out there will be very happy to have them.

We have an "I sold it on Ebay" franchise here. Does anyone have any experience with a service like that? I rather someone take a commission that have to deal with it myself.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Hmm - I'd check on Ebay for completed sales to see the prices that these things actually sell for. Then decide if the hassle is worth it - you could minimize it by selling 1 or 2 groupings, but probably you would get more revenue by selling each piece separately. On the other hand, if it were me, I'd probably just box them up and give them to the local thrift shop and take the tax deduction. And yeah, if they had been mine, they would be soooo gone by now.

Do not sell that china, Aggie, unless you feel it's really ugly. We didn't get china from anyone for anything, and after I had been married a couple of years, I wanted some for holidays, etc. So we bought some very pretty and cheap china, mail order (before the web). But, now, after 30 years, the silver-ish rim is peeling off. I use it 4-6 times a year and I am glad I have it.
    I keep thinking about the setting for 12 Rosenthal china my mom had and wondering where it is... although I know in my heart it was sold after she died to pay bills. I would have gladly paid my dad for it, as it was beautiful and classic and I am pretty sure nothing would be peeling.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Do not sell that china, Aggie, unless you feel it's really ugly. We didn't get china from anyone for anything, and after I had been married a couple of years, I wanted some for holidays, etc. So we bought some very pretty and cheap china, mail order (before the web). But, now, after 30 years, the silver-ish rim is peeling off. I use it 4-6 times a year and I am glad I have it.
    I keep thinking about the setting for 12 Rosenthal china my mom had and wondering where it is... although I know in my heart it was sold after she died to pay bills. I would have gladly paid my dad for it, as it was beautiful and classic and I am pretty sure nothing would be peeling.

I disagree. While some heirloom china might be worth keeping if you WANT it for entertaining, if a person feels bogged down by it, or that it takes up too much room, or they never use it, or it's dated and/or ugly....by all means get rid of it. Maybe it has emotional value, maybe it doesn't. Me, I hate hanging onto stuff that serves no current purpose and doesn't have emotional value. I gave away my silver to my sister because in 20 years I never use it, and she entertains. She also has the other half of the service. so now she has service for 12... and I don't have to store it, or clean it, or insure it.
    Last edited by Irulan; 03-01-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

My Nanny's china is a very classic pattern, Lenox Eternal (ivory with platinum band). I won't get rid of it but there is no sentimental value. My Nanny bought it upon retiring in 1989 because she never had china, we used it twice before she died in 2009 because she worried about breaking it. So any memories I have are of my Nanny's tendency to want things for the looks but nothing more. We personally don't like entertaining but at the moment I see no point in selling the china set. It won't ever go out of style so it isn't like I can't sell it for likely the same price in 10 years. Our house has a formal dining room (we don't really use it) and it would be empty if I got rid of the china and formal table. So I guess it is good for keeping the room from being empty.

So far I am coming up with Craigslist and Ebay for the dolls. Neither look like a great option, I was hoping there might be a store that buys such things but so far all I am finding are ones that specialize in toys mostly.
    Amanda

http://www.877isoldit.com/

We have one of these in town. I checked, they take anywhere from 30-40% commission but they do everything from photos and listing to shipping it. For me, that's worth the 30% just for someone else to do it.

I sell things on Craigslist just to get rid of them, but people want to buy super cheap on CL.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I inherited a bunch of Lennox bird figurines from my grandmother when she died. I was already selling stuff on ebay and didn't find it that difficult, so I went ahead and sold them that way. I didn't have the certificates either. At the time, they actually sold pretty well so long as they were in perfect (or near perfect) condition. One with a chip did not sell, so I donated it to Goodwill.

As for china, my mother gave me a very nice set of hers and my father's (they later divorced) that I ended up liking better than what my DH and I picked out when we got married. So we sold ours on ebay as one large set (six place settings plus lots of serving pieces) and kept Mom's. Hers is an aqua blue with simple platinum band, simple and classic. Even though it's in boxes now since we are in Belize and even when we move back to the US don't plan on buying a home for a few years, I am still keeping it because I love it, and perhaps I'll find my inner Martha Stewart when I am a bit older and decide to entertain. Stranger things have happened.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily...you said your mom's china is aqua with platinum? What kind is it? That sounds so pretty. I love aqua and haven't seen anything like that. Just curious...

Hi Penny4,

It's OLD. They got married in the '50s. I can't even tell you the pattern now as the china is in NC, and I am in Belize. It's between aqua and light blue, so possibly not what you are looking for, but I absolutely love it. It's like mid-century modern now. :-)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I love entertaining, although most of it is not the kind where I would be using the china . I don't have "chatchkes" and I hate clutter, but I do have a very nice collection of silver pieces and crystal stuff, courtesy of my mom. My sterling, I bought myself, about 10 years ago. My fancy glassware is cheap, but nice. But, when I use my parents' sterling pitcher or platters, I feel like it's a connection. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I know both of my DILs like this stuff, too and they are 25 and 33.
    Figurines are things that no one in my family has, so thankfully, I don't have to worry about getting rid of that stuff. While I probably will sell my formal dining table and hutches, I will not get rid of my good dishes, silver, and crystal when I downsize. My kitchen table extends to a size that's comparable to my dining room table (I've only done this once), so I look forward to many years of family/friend holidays, even if I'm in a townhouse. In fact, I told my DH that all I want for my 60th birthday (in November) is to have both of my sons and their spouses here for Thanksgiving. Since one of my kids is back in school and so is his wife, my present is DH paying for them to fly here from California. I look forward to using every piece of my "fancy" stuff then.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

You could also look around locally for a consignment shop that would take them.
    I'm lazy enough now, that unless the $$ value is large, I usually just donate stuff and take a tax deduction.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.