Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Derailleur hanger, carbon frame

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I took my bike out of its shipping box and went to reassemble it, and the derailleur hanger is rocking. What?

Somehow, the threads of one of the mounting bolts got stripped. I have to assume it's been loose for a while and just rattled around until the threads stripped themselves out. I've never had it off. It's been straightened at least once.

Should I worry about the frame or anything else, or just replace the hanger? I don't see any sign of frame damage, and I did have the LBS check it out after my crash in '10.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'd have someone check the frame just to make sure. If nothing else, it'll set your mind at ease.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Shop says the frame is fine. And, they had an identical derailleur hanger in stock. Yay.

'Course, after the 100+ mile round trip to get the part, and dragging the bike in and out of there without the rear wheel on and the derailleur and chain in my hand (because I couldn't see where it was any less hassle to reassemble it for rolling then take it all apart again) ... it's raining at the ride start now, and I've been riding WAY too little to want to get wet.

It's ready to go for next time, anyway.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler