Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    But then I also eat bread on a regular basis, which makes me different from just about everyone else on this forum.
    *snort*

I, too, enjoy all that Gramineae has to offer.
    Mmm, gluten.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

As promised:
    Pita Recipe--can be shaped into any bread type, or modified to change flavor. Very low calorie, healthful, and tasty.

3 Cups Flour (I use whole grain).
    1.5 teaspoons salt
    1 Tablespoon sugar or honey
    1 packet or 2 teaspoons yeast
    1.25 to 1.5 cups of room temperature water. (I'm on the SE Coast, so I use less water due to humidity).
    2 Tablespoons olive oil.

Substitute the proper amount of wheat gluten for a given amount of flour. I think it's 4 teaspoons per cup. Just follow the directions on the gluten package. My favorite mixture is 3 parts pastry or white whole wheat flour, and one part corn meal. Then roll using the corn meal to keep it from sticking on the counter.

Mix yeast with other dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients. Knead until smooth and elastic. A mixer with dough hook is best. The longer you knead, the better it tastes.

Grease a mixing bowl, flip the dough in the bowl, turn over once, and cover with a damp paper towel. Let rise for at least an hour and a half in a warm area. If you put it in an oven safe bowl and cover with aluminum foil, you can put it in a slightly warm oven to make it rise.

After the dough has doubled in size, punch down, divide into 8 pieces. Roll into balls and cover with a damp towel. Let rest 20 minutes. Now is a good time to set oven to 400 degrees.

Flour a rolling surface, and roll each piece into a round shape .25 inches thick. If you have a baking stone, you can sprinkle with water right before you bake. If not, use a cookie sheet and preheat it.

This recipe sometimes produces flat-bread. Sometimes pitas that expand. It helps to have a convection setting on your oven.

Alternatively, roll out half the dough into a circle, then roll into a log. This produces two loaves of bread.

Pitas cook for 3-5 minutes. Bread for around 40 minutes.

Pitas are great with honey.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 03-02-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    If you start with good high-gluten bread flour (hard red winter wheat, preferably Canadian) you shouldn't need to add gluten unless you're combining with a lot of gluten-free grains.
    This is where I run into trouble... wheat-only bread I'm good, but once I start adding buckwheat flour/oat flour/almond flour and even wheat bran/germ I start losing structure. I know I don't have enough gluten when that happens, just didn't realize you could buy it to supplement with non-wheat flours.

Murienn-- thanks for the pita recipe, my Mom used to make pitas when we were kids and I love them! I make naan and tortillas sometimes to get my flatbread fix, but I'll have to add pita to the rotation

D'oh. Wound up hyponatremic again last week, then dehydrated, then undernourished because of the nausea at a time in my training when I REALLY didn't need that. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

I realized that the FIRST early sign, that I tend to ignore because it can have other causes, is excessive urination, especially with urgency and especially when I know my fluid intake hasn't changed. Just the body trying to concentrate sodium in the blood by throwing off water. I'm going to try to pay closer attention to that one from now on.

I just constantly get seduced by the media drumbeat about how Salt Is Evil, and wind up not listening to my own body's needs. Even though sodium is a critical element that we CAN'T get enough of from plant and animal foods, and for 95% of human history, civilization depended on reliable sources of salt, either by mining, natural eruptions or evaporating seawater. (It still does ... it's just that collection and distribution networks have become so efficient that access to salt is easy for almost everyone in the modern world.)

Dangitall.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hey Oak, what about Osmo PreLoad Hydration? I ran across it during my research about their Active Hydration mix. Looks like it's very high in sodium....1620 mg per scoop!

Wow, that is high!

If I remember to drink salty drinks when I'm not running/riding, then I don't have a problem. So I'm fine with what remains of my discontinued Zenergize Hydrate or my new Skratch Labs. It's just I can't drink too much plain water to rehydrate after my workouts, or at yoga class (where I sweat like a faucet). I was curious about Osmo from the other thread ... if I find somewhere that has it I'll probably give it a try.

Preloading worked well for me before my run yesterday, actually. My last long run before tapering, and I was trying to simulate race day nutrition as much as possible, so I didn't put any electrolyte mix in my hydration bladder. Plenty before, plenty after, a little bit in my gels, a couple of Endurolytes capsules which don't have a lot of sodium, and I was/am fine.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler