Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    The fitting system is no where near as important than an experienced and talented fitter. Technology does not matter if the user cannot think outside the box or have experience with people with physical issues like you, and me.

Check to see if there is a local cycling group who can give you a recommendation. You need someone who can think out of the box. You might also want to see if there is a PT who is also a fitter, I know they exist but not how common they are...
    This. Ask around. The local clubs might be of help. Are you seeing a PT for the back? They might know someone.

If you were here, I'd send you to one of the local shops. This guy runs a one-man shop and does nothing but fits.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I too have back problems riding my bike. The muscles in my lower back start to burn and ache and I have to stand up and stretch all the time while riding. During the winter months I ride the same bike in the same position indoors on a trainer - and I never have ANY back pain. But as soon as I go out on the road, it starts again, after about 30 minutes or so. I think the difference is that I am balancing as well as riding, which you don´t on a fixed trainer indoors. Even though it´s the same bike.

Part from getting a really good bike fit, I have been told to train my core muscles. Doing the "plank" is one way - but I can only hold it for less than 30 seconds yet, it´s quite a tough one. You can do the usual Plank and the Side Plank. All to strengthen you core muscles.

As far as weight loss goes, i found a neat way during my recent weight loss: I change all pasta, rice and potatoes for bags of frozen veg. You can find all sorts of mixed veg in the freezer department, and they are usually a tiny 20 - 35 calories per 100 grams, so a whole 500 gram bag gives you maybe 150 calories! But it sure fills you up, it is good for you and some of the mixes tast really good. On top of them I put whatever the rest of the family eats - a ladle of tomatoe sauce, curry sauce or whatever. (I don´t fry the veg in much oil, if any, I use a good non stick pan. Maybe some soy sauce to spiff it up a bit.)

Good luck on your inspiring journey!

I can relate to this thread .. BIG TIME. I had two major knee surgeries, the last was a total reconstruction back in 1977, back surgery 1999, and I have neck compression. I am also in the process of losing weight .. have lost almost 10 lbs and another 20 to go. The biking is definitely helping, but this isn't my first rodeo dieting. Food portion is the key and burning more than what you consume in a day. When I get serious to loose .. I just don't eat *meals* per se. I will eat a wedge of cheese, small portion of meat and later some vegetables. I am 62 and losing gets harder when the metabolism does a 180* around 40 years old. As you get older it is even more important to figure ways to burn the calories and stay fit. Winter months is my bane, like a lot of people we get lazy, and I am no exception. I will be looking into buying a bike trainer when I can't ride due to the weather.

Checking in.
    My weight seems to have stuck at 180, which is beyond frustrating since at my height I'm supposed to be 110-120, but everyone has commented that I look thinner. So that's something. I hit a snag when my dad took control of groceries again.... pizza, cookies, and extra sweet tea every single night for two weeks straight, and nothing else in the house to make a healthier meal with. Ouch. And he's wondering why he's gaining weight! I wrestled with him and got back dibs on meal planning earlier this week.
    Although I havent been biking as much what with all the heat and the rain, I'm trying to do at least a little activity every other day. I can't tell if it's helping or not, though, and I have to go very slowly because my back has been testy of late (probably from gaining back some weight.. darn it!!).
    Trying to lose weight has been the most challenging, frustrating, and demotivational thing I've done this year, haha

Since you're struggling with back pain, have you considered a recumbent? I was an avid upright rider until my hubby's back pain reduced his riding to almost nothing. He switched to a recumbent and started riding pain-free. I soon followed (if you can't beat 'em.....) and have never looked back. I am faster now (top speed 25, cruising at 17-18 easily) and able to cycle hours without any pain whatsoever. We even toured the Pacific Coast on them last year - 1,254 miles in 24 days. And I'm not a spring chicken - 54 years young.

Don't give up - getting healthy is too important to quit!

We do not have a pool, the community does not have a pool, and the ocean is two hours away. I dont think my tub is large enough to swim in, either.

mmmmmm sorry.... actually a number of scientific studies have shown swimming, while it is certainly a great cardio exercise, can often lead to no loss of body fat or even gain... It is not disputed that a great number of calories can be burned swimming and that it certainly is good exercise, but the exposure to cold water is an appetite stimulant and exercisers who swim often will replace calories at a greater rate than they are burned - so if you choose swimming for weight loss you have to be *extremely* disciplined about refueling.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Eden is right. I've also read that just being in colder water makes your body hold onto fat for insulation. Can't fool mother nature!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Well again, I cannot and therefore will not be swimming. I am biking, walking, and strength training. Not swimming.

That's really good combination of activities and anyway it's best to do whatever you want to and can do to create a habit . I'm currently listening to a podcast regularly, "Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness", I really get a lot of good Information out of it even though I don't eat strict "Paleo", I think maybe you would like it too?

Quote Originally Posted by DCGonzalez View Post
    Well for me, going to gymn is better because I lose 10 pounds in two weeks.
    You know what kind of caloric deficit you would require to lose 10 pounds of actual fat though LOL, I can lose 2 pounds after a big poop and a long pee, or 3 pounds on a hot and sweaty bike ride. I can gain 3 pounds in a day of premenstrual rage and a Costco chicken bake. You can lose 10 pounds/2 weeks if you carb starve and your liver does it's magic, but this is not real fat loss. 1g glycogen has 3 grams of water, or some such number.
    The caloric deficit for 10 pounds fat/14 days is 2500 cals a day, that is pretty much a minimum five hours of sweaty cardio a day in that gym. Impossible? Not at all, likely? Not at all.
    Exercise to create the deficit or control calories in to create the deficit, the ideal way is both, and once you achieve the desired end, use the exercise for maintenance. No quick weight loss plan. Just a real one. a pound a week is a great way to do it, exercising to create a 3500 cal week deficit is surprisingly like work. Don't let your body diet away muscle either.

update 30/09/13

Checking in.

My doctor and nutritionist agreed that I had to stop counting numbers. No more measuring inch loss and portions, no more calorie counting, no more logging miles or minutes, and no more scale. No more numbers. Period. I was sabotaging myself and becoming overwhelmed and overly focused on numbers, and when something didn't add up, I became frustrated and depressed and quit.

So here was the deal: If I felt hungry, I'd drink a tall red glass of water equal to 3cups first. If I was still hungry, I'd eat healthy, even if it was 2am, and stop when full, not stuffed. And every morning, I'd exercise as much I wanted in whatever way I wanted: yoga, walking, biking, dancing, whatever I felt like. I was allowed cheat days. Those cheat days could connect. Monday and Friday, or MondayTuesdayWednesday, or just Saturday, or not at all... again, whatever I felt like. And all I had to do was keep a journal that might read something like "Today for breakfast I ate some almonds and greek yogurt and a banana. Then I did yoga and noticed that I can stretch more to the left now and I can hold a downward dog for a lot longer than before." The key is focusing on what I do and what I eat, but never on how much. No numbers!

I'm so, so happy to say that there's been amazing progress for me in just a few short months (since July), and that's it's very stress-free... except for this frustration I'm having with my bike. The tires can only hold 185lbs, and I keep bursting the back tube, so I think I'm still not quite light enough to ride it that much. It's a little annoying, since I really miss being on my bike most of all. But soon. Soon.

So, without further ado I'd like to introduce some milestones I've achieved.

-I can now fit in a size 12/14 jean, coming down from a size 21/22. I can pull up a size 10 all the way, even if I can't button them yet.
    -I've been reclassified from morbidly obese as mildly obese.
    -I can touch my chin to my chest without blocking my airways.
    -If standing, I can touch my ankles together without needing to bend my knees. Can't do this when walking again yet, but soon!
    -I can walk 15K with no problem and run (slowly...) a full mile without stopping.
    -My back is in less pain than ever so long as I keep doing yoga. (I swapped for some dancing once for about a week and the pain came back).
    -My digestion has GREATLY improved... even my food intolerances don't bother me as much.
    -I've gone from drinking 2 cups of water per month to about 12 per day -- the only number I keep track of.
    -My skin is much clearer.
    -And I have made two of the most amazing friends on this journey.

There was a scare briefly when I and the doctors thought for sure I had diabetes -- my feet were swelling (turned out to be from all the walking in the heat I was doing), I was always thirsty and a little sleepier (happens when you exercise), I was urinating much more often (happens when you drink more water), I was losing weight rapidly (oh no!! ... wait. lol), and I was having trouble with my vision (turns out I just needed new glasses, since I hadn't updated my prescription in four years!). But three different tests turned out negative for diabetes, and after we discussed how my weight loss plan was going, it sort of dawned on us all at once what was really happening. There was a lot of facepalming going around in that moment. lol "Doi!"

So this is my update! Hopefully the next time I check in, I won't be "obese" at all, and my tushy will be buttoned into those size 10s I adore so much....

Yay Swan!!!! I'm SO, SO happy for you and proud of you!! This is amazing - and you are doing great!!!!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hey, great Swan.

I agree that too much focus on numbers day by day doesn't work for alot of people. (I weigh myself 1-3 times per month, if that.) A better gauge is how one fits into clothing and level of stamina, etc., flexibility in doing common physical activities without injury/hurting.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

That's fantastic news, Swan!! I'm going to use some of those tips, as I too am a big self-sabatoger and get way too numbers obsessed. Thanks so much for sharing your progress here!

2013 Specialized Ruby Sport
    2012 Specialized Crossroads Sport
    1998 Trek 800 Sport
    1992 Performance Focus