Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Jeez D: I'll go get a proper fitting soon, then... I have often thought longingly of a reduction, but I don't think I can get past the scarring and nerve damage.

I started weight training btw : ) And since starting this thread I've managed to shed that last half-pant-size needed to fit into a size 16 in any brand. Woohoo! Coming from a size 21, this feels great!

Edit: apparently the closest Nordstrom is 8 hours away. *huffpuff* I've tried Victoria Secret fittings, but it wasn't very professionally done...
    Last edited by Swan; 02-27-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Good work, Swan.
    A good fitting will help, and you might want to find a real lingerie store. They usually are good and have a large variety of sizes.
    I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a reduction. Many years ago, I had a teaching assistant who had one, just before I met her. She went from a FF to a C or D. She totally eliminated back pain and was able to sleep on her stomach for the first time in her life. I can't emphasize what a change this was in her life and insurance paid for it all.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I don't think I've been able to sleep on my tummy since I hit puberty lol I'll think about it. If I shed the weight and these big ol' things are still hanging around, I'll start making calls and pick up pamphlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Swan View Post
    I don't think I've been able to sleep on my tummy since I hit puberty lol I'll think about it. If I shed the weight and these big ol' things are still hanging around, I'll start making calls and pick up pamphlets.
    Get properly fitted first and see how you feel. Glad you rejected VS. They are not known for proper fittings or a variety of bra sizes. Not sure how good department stores are either. If you're at the small or large end of the scale they probably won't be able to fit you.

Learn everything you can about bra fit, measure yourself before you go. If a fitter adds 4" to your band size leave. Understand what cup sizes really mean. Cup size is relative to your back size. I'm a 28 FF but if my back measured 34 I'd be a C or D cup. Ironically, I've never thought of myself as "big" nor have I ever considered a reduction.

I'm headed out to ski when I return I'll send you some good links.

I've had several friends that did a breast reduction. It was covered by insurance and they were beyond pleased. One said it was heaven to not have the bra straps cutting into her shoulders & the other was just happy that she didn't have to shell out big bucks each time she needed a bra.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I went to a place in virginia that specializes in fittings. Prude that I am, I have to admit it wasn't all that comfortable for me. But I spent a small fortune buying about 6 bras (all in cup sizes well beyond what I had already) and I am very happy with them. They are all very pretty too! And I heard the same as other are saying - that the band should be doing most of the work, not the straps.

Recommend it highly. I have a friend that worked for Jockey at one point as a fitter, and she convinced me to go and get this done. Very glad I did.

that said - I'd love to get these babies reduced. But I'm going to try losing some weight first before looking into it further.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    I went to a place in virginia that specializes in fittings.
    And I went to a place in Maryland (Sylene's). Where did you go?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I havent transitioned to paleo yet, but my diet is mostly salad, grilled fish, and grilled chicken, all from local farms and fishermen. And the occasional brownie. Oops. Haven't gone for a new bra yet, but I've started strength training with a friend and a personal trainer.

Checking in! Haven't gone for the new bra yet (should always be done once you hit your goal weight, so....), but I've dropped 11#! Woohoo! Was a bit inactive this week thanks to a nasty virus going around, but today training starts up again

Quote Originally Posted by Swan View Post
    Checking in! Haven't gone for the new bra yet (should always be done once you hit your goal weight, so....), but I've dropped 11#! Woohoo! Was a bit inactive this week thanks to a nasty virus going around, but today training starts up again
    Disagree. You need a good fitting bra NOW. Chances are, with the weight loss you've experienced your bras don't fit, if they ever fit. It is recommended that women remeasure every 6 months as things do change, so I'm betting your old bras are past their usefulness. I suggest getting 2, or even 3 bras, so you can alternate days with them. Lycra needs to relax after wearing so wearing the same bra every day wears it out sooner. Also, hand wash only.

You're too young to damage your boobs this way. Besides, you'll be amazed how much better you look.
    Last edited by Kathi; 03-11-2013 at 07:23 AM.

wow, you are inspirational. keep working out. and enjoy your chocolate!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    And I went to a place in Maryland (Sylene's). Where did you go?
    Intimacy in Tyson's corner. But looking at Sylene's - looks like they have a lot of the same inventory. And would have been closer for me.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    Disagree. You need a good fitting bra NOW. Chances are, with the weight loss you've experienced your bras don't fit, if they ever fit. It is recommended that women remeasure every 6 months as things do change, so I'm betting your old bras are past their usefulness. I suggest getting 2, or even 3 bras, so you can alternate days with them. Lycra needs to relax after wearing so wearing the same bra every day wears it out sooner. Also, hand wash only.

You're too young to damage your boobs this way. Besides, you'll be amazed how much better you look.
    Bras are important, but I haven't got the money to buy a single pair for every 10# lost, let alone three pair. And if I lost 11# since, I can't imagine how frequently I'd need to buy bras. They aren't so cheap when your cup size is over a D. I must decline, though I've listened to your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    damage your boobs
    Seriously? I don't think so. Women survived for millennia before the invention of bras.

A good bra will definitely make things more comfortable. A poorly fitting bra can contribute to back, neck and shoulder pain. No article of clothing, whether it fits well or poorly, is going to "damage" any body part, unless it's so tight it deforms the bones or internal organs, or alters biomechanics (i.e. shoes). Actually, the way I understand it, bras were originally invented as a replacement for corsets, which *were* so tight that they damaged ribs, pelves and internal organs...

Way to go Swan. Do remember your health and how you feel are so much more important than the number on the scale!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    your health and how you feel are so much more important than the number on the scale!
    THIS I'm not obsessed with numbers, only thst I become healthy again. Numbers do play a part to a certain extent, but not up to the levels some self-conscious ladies take it to...