Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I commute in all weather and in Missouri we get ALL weather. So I ride my bike every day, but I don't ride for fun unless it's nice. The main difference between "commute" and "fun" is distance--my commute is a couple miles, even with errands I don't ride more than 10-12 miles in a day and without errands it might be 3 or less. A fun ride could be anywhere from 10 - 100 miles. (More likely 40 or 50 at the top end, though.) I plan to change out my snow tires this weekend, and maybe go for a recreational ride-- a shorter one than longer!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Just to add that winter does not mean I go inside. While I may be on the trainer or at a spin class, I am also outside nordic skiing, snow shoeing, or hiking.
    I can't stand being inside for too long.
    Agreed...there's no reason to be stuck inside all winter (and allowing that to happen is a good way to turn into a real grouch!). Just different activities; I have been enjoying the snowshoeing and x-c skiing this year and not doing much running lately, because the trails have too much snow to run in and I just don't like road running as much. I've gotten out riding once so far this month...just a short ride to the local bike co-op where I have started volunteering. Still lots of snow and yuck on the side of the road, but it was OK on the mountain bike. Will need to look into getting a different saddle, I think--it wasn't comfortable last year and it certainly isn't comfortable this year either!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I was able to get out and do 38 miles last weekend and 52 yesterday. We have a lull in the rain and beautiful high 50s low 60s weather!
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

I'm not in Florida or Texas, so does the fact that I'm in Southern California make it okay to rub it in? I ride year round and can't imagine having to ride in the conditions many in the world do during the winter. It actually got unusually cold here this year, even snowed at my house once, so I've experienced some cold weather riding, but probably nothing like you. My husband dreams of moving to Colorado, but I can't imagine riding in the winter there! I love my California weather.

As for goals . . . I've been accomplishing mini milestones in my journey back to former fitness. After an extended time off the bike due to health, I've been enjoying getting in longer rides, with different routes I used to do, checking each one off my "bucket list". I've been loving Strava and I use that as another motivator to go out and do a segment or more faster than I did before. My biggest accomplishment of late is a big climbing ride I hadn't done for two years, and I got my second fastest time ever, which was a thrill. I wish I had some big organized event to plan for. A century, but we're kind of broke, so unless I "pirate" a ride like I did the Palm Springs metric recently, I won't be doing any of those soon. However, my husband is all pumped to pull me on my first come back century, just him and me, and anyone who wants to come with us. And he has it in his mind to help me get a sub 5 hour century. It's doable if it's flat, and I train enough beforehand, but I'm having a hard time really motivating myself cause . . . well, it's gonna hurt!!! And I don't have a specific date set, cause it's not like an organized event or race. I guess I just need to set a date and do it.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

SheFly - I'm cold just looking at your pictures!!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

my husband rode his bike everyday for more than 3 years. He took a couple days off when he got sick. Where I live (Seattle) you really can ride every day if you don't mind being cold and/or wet. He thrived in the worst of weather. He'd call me on the way home from work to see if i needed something from the store, and he'd be happily describing the puddles, the wind, or the snow. He really scared me one year so we decided he needed a snow bike. Then he really could ride in any weather.
    Me, on the other hand; I have discovered that I can usually manage to find 1 day per week with weather suitable for MY riding preferences all year round. It really pays to keep riding all winter because getting back to it is so painful.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Spring? What's that??? We've just gotten slammed with another blizzard and the temperature will go down to -20 C (-7.6 F) overnight, with wind chill of about -28 C (-18 F).
    I've have mixed feelings because I can get one more week of x-country skiing in, and with the sun setting after 7 p.m., it's possible to go for a long ski after work. On the other hand, I was doing road rides already by this time last year. Oh well.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Funny, I just got up this morning and looked out the window at the chilly gloom, and thought I hate Spring lol. My allergies and asthma flare up. And it's still pretty chilly here in the Midwest. The roads are a mess. AND the Spring wind, omg gag!

Alright, now that I'm done crying like a big baby lol here's some happy thoughts...

The daylight is getting LONGER...and *that* makes me happy. Those of you that suffer from winter S.A.D. depression can relate. And agreed, sunshine makes everything better!

So this season I hope to re-unite with some old club friends and do more of that. I know that many of them are starting riding now. The roads will need to be dry and not too bad of shape for me to join them.

I DO NOT want to jepordize my still healing broken ankle from my Fall xc bike crash. The Fall is truly my fav time to ride...which I obviously missed out on...so hopefully I will find some cyling love in Spring.
    Last edited by Miranda; 03-17-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Sigh. It's 32 degrees out. Although it's sunny, there's a brisk breeze and a real feel of 23.
    I'm going on a hike.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Sigh. It's 32 degrees out. Although it's sunny, there's a brisk breeze and a real feel of 23.
    I'm going on a hike.
    I hear you Crankin - and it doesn't help that the local news folks keep mentioning what the temps were this time last year. I MIGHT ride the trainer later today and check out my new shorts depending on how my cooking schedule goes. I hate to be on the trainer at all, especially this time of year.

I believe I heard it was 74 last year at this time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It was definitely a cold weekend for riding in the Northeast. Still managed 83 on Saturday and 62 yesterday, despite the cold temps and the @#$@#$ wind. I think the wind made it worse. And yes, last year was a delight by comparison. This morning, it is 15 degrees at my house. Someone should pound that groundhog!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I've been out a few times this month. I usually head out on my cross bike (on road) for a little more security in case of snow, ice, gravel on the road. I will likely switch to my road bike sometime in April.
    Although I have also been snowshoeing, nordic etc this winter, I can't wait for warmer temps and longer rides!
    I'm also waiting for the snow to melt in the woods so I can get on my mtn bike. I want to try a couple races this year. But we're supposed to get more snow tomorrow. ugh.
    2011 Cannondale CAADX 105
    2012 Jamis Dragon 29er
    2012 Jamis Xenith Endura Comp

Re: Spring - when do you get back outside?

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    It was definitely a cold weekend for riding in the Northeast. Still managed 83 on Saturday and 62 yesterday, despite the cold temps and the @#$@#$ wind. I think the wind made it worse. And yes, last year was a delight by comparison. This morning, it is 15 degrees at my house. Someone should pound that groundhog!

SheFly
    I bow to your awesomeness! I have managed to ride an entire 12 miles outside this year, you rock!

I figured you were out, SheFly. I saw someone (male) riding up my street, out of my window at around 9 AM, when it was about 25 out.
    I've kind of lost my will for riding in the 30s right now. I think, if it hadn't been windy, I would have gone out for a short ride. I ended up doing a hike in Estabrook and I was cold for the first half and then heated up, after a climb. There was a precarious stream crossing, and I finally got myself across by scooting on a tree branch that was down, on my butt. The rock crossing did not look too inviting, as it was wet, slippery and the thought of falling into water at 36 degrees was not thrilling me. But, after that, the climb was good, I ran up a lot of it and I felt like i had a good workout.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura