Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Even in the US, though, I am not sure I'd bother to report a line across a bike path that happened once. Would you?
    I'd report it for sure. You're lucky to have escaped with minor injuries - this could be a deadly booby trap. The chances of someone actually getting caught, obviously, are small, unless someone's been running their mouth (which happens more often than you might think ) - but I'd still make a report. Occasionally someone is caught and prosecuted.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

If it happened near where I live, I would report it. It it happened in a more remote area, it would depend on how likely I thought the cops were to actually respond.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Emily, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I would definitely report it in the U.S. Even if the culprit isn't caught right away, these incidents are publicized in the Denver news. The publicity encourages people to report suspicious activities on the trails, which could prevent a deadly prank in the future.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

THAT EFFING SUX! WTF is wrong with people?? (I just had to kinda yell the indignation and anger and all that.)

Glad you're ok and healin' up and it hasn't stopped you.

Aren't you coming back stateside soon? Where did you all decide on? AZ or FL or ..?
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    If it happened near where I live, I would report it. It it happened in a more remote area, it would depend on how likely I thought the cops were to actually respond.
    And that's my point exactly. Where I live, I can predict with 99.9% certainty that nothing would happen. It's a very different world down here when it comes to things like police protection.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

So glad your going to be ok. What kind of POS does stuff like that?? Someone could of been seriously injured or worse! Is this a common occurrence in that area?

HIDEOUS! Just over the top outrageous... it is hard for me to fathom what goes on in some peoples' wormy little minds.... what is the point? I am SO glad to hear that you and your husband weren't seriously hurt.

But I always like to think that karma comes back to bite the lowlifes who do this sort of thing. At least that is my wish. Usually I wish it for people who break glass over the bike trail, but this time I will wish it for whoever strung that wire over the cyclepath. Losers.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

There's a part of me that takes a sick satisfaction in learning that it's not only in the USA that people do stuff like that.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

people people people

Glad you are okay and back on the bike.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Is this a common occurrence in that area?
    Another expat posted in the comments area of my blog that it is -- though he mentioned logs, nails, glass, and telephone wires being used on the path. But that is mostly where people pass through other's properties on the beach side. Property owners don't appreciate motorized vehicles (golf carts and motorbikes) on the beach, and I totally appreciate that as our condo is right on the beach, and we HATE it when a motorcycle roars by, spewing gas fumes into our home.

But where this happened to me his was on a part of the path that is open to motorized vehicles and goes behind the houses, NOT on the beach. That's what was so weird and confusing about it. There aren't even any houses that close by.

But yes, sabotage like this can happen anywhere. Just haven't ever experienced it before anywhere. I don't understand why some people are so hateful to want to hurt others. But I do believe in karma. May whoever did this get theirs!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
    Aren't you coming back stateside soon? Where did you all decide on? AZ or FL or ..?
    Yes! We're flying back to the US on March 10. Can't wait. :-)

We're going to travel around for a couple of months, mostly visiting relatives. Then in mid-May we'll be heading out to Prairie Village, Kansas, where we'll be renting a house from friends of ours who are going cruising in their sailboat. We'll be kind of informal house-sitters, but they understand we plan to travel. We want to spend some time in the west, and Kansas is an easier place to do that from than our previous state of North Carolina.
    Emily

I just read this, Emily. That really sucks. People can be so horrible. I'm glad you walked away from that.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I'm so sorry, and yes, it should be reported. Even if the culprit for one incident isn't caught, they may be able to connect him/her to another one that they don't get away with. You were very lucky - a few inches lower and you could have damaged the larynx. I once knew an ear/nose/throat doctor and he told me about a case where a snowmobiler ran into a rope across the trail and almost lost his voice. They saved his life, but I think he may have only been able to talk in a whisper (or just very hoarse sounding) after that.

Sorry - I didn't mean to sound so dramatic. On a lighter note, maybe you can now nobly excuse yourself from the overnight visit you didn't want to take

Emily, that is horrifying!

Glad to hear that you are recovering. I think it would find it hard to cycle in the same area after an incident like that - afraid that it would happen again!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Hi Emily, I just tuned in here & read your post. I am so sorry to hear of the horrible mishap you had. I am just glad you were not injured too severly. This could have been much worse for you if that line was placed in at a different height. I have heard that is something that kids do on a local bike path. I do not ride that path anymore because of walkers, joggers etc. and never saw it but my husband heard of this happening. Sick way for kids to have fun.

Anyway, it is good you are returning the states very soon. I certainly will look forward to hear of all your traveling adventures here

~ JoAnn
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike