Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Until I grow pointy feet, I refuse to buy pointy shoes.... (so, never). All of my dress shoes are round or square toed. I also have no desire to break an ankle, so none of them are particularly high and no small heels. They have to be fat enough for me to walk on easily. My work/dress shoes that I wear with skirts are both flats. I have a pair of brown mary janes and a black pair of flats.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I have this feeling there are some high heel fashionistas who haven't spoken up yet. I can't believe all of us are...so practical and boring (like me). Or maybe cycling often, makes a lot women rethink their fashion choices later.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I have this feeling there are some high heel fashionistas who haven't spoken up yet. I can't believe all of us are...so practical and boring (like me). Or maybe cycling often, makes a lot women rethink their fashion choices later.
    Guilty! Not the 4" or higher heels - at 5'9", that would just be too much for me - but most around 3". Shoes, boots - definitely my indulgence! Our office is not a casual environment so I justify it by telling myself I need them!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

I used to love heels. As a 5'4" person with extra short legs, I felt they were almost a necessity to balance out my proportions when wearing nice clothes. But, I've always had a super wide forefoot, so to find heels that would work, I ended up spending a lot of money (willingly). Most of my heels were upwards of $250-$300 a pair and I was extremely selective. I figure pain in the pocketbook was better than pain in the feet.

Unfortunately, my surgery last year killed my ability to wear any heels. Right now, my 'heels' are a pair of square toed platinum colored shoes with a 1/2 inch heel! Everything else I wear is a flat, flat, flat. I do have some super cute flats though.

I keep trying to put on a heel...even 1 inch would be nice...but the pain that it causes less than 5 minutes into wearing them is just not worth it. I have a co-worker patiently waiting for me to give them up permanently because we wear the same size and I told her she could buy them all off me for pennies.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

All my dressy shoes are flat. I cannot wear heels--weak ankles. I have some awesome flats.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I do wear 1.5-2.5, maybe 3 inch heels a couple of days a week, but they are all of the comfortable type dress shoes made by companies who specialize in stylish, yet comfortable shoes. I never pay full price for these shoes, but I am at the point where I would if I had to. I could not find what I wanted for my son's wedding 3 years ago and I ended up at Nordstroms, desperate, the week before. I ended up buying a pair of 3 inch pointy sling backs, but he had to put something in the right one, to make it snugger. I can wear these for a few hours if I don't stand up too much and I wore them this New Year's and even danced some in them. I look awful in flats, unless I am wearing very casual pants/jeans, and flat dress shoes make my feet hurt as much or more than high heels.
    You should have seen me try to walk in the 5-6 inch heels the salesman at Nordstroms brought out for me to try on.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    You should have seen me try to walk in the 5-6 inch heels the salesman at Nordstroms brought out for me to try on.
    You're braver than I am, Crankin - I can't imagine even trying to walk in those heels!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

I wear some modest heels, but mostly just at the office, where I don't walk around all that much. Otherwise, most of shoes are flat or have a wedge heel, and I change out of my heels to walk to and from my car. I hate walking more than a block or so in heels and I hate driving them in about as much. During the winter, I wear a lot of skirts, with tights and boots, but the boots get swamped out for some Keen Venice sandals for my walk to and from the car. I look like an idiot wearing those shoes with a dress skirt and tights, but I don't really care. They're comfy and easy to drive in.

Beyond the above example, I've never felt like I had to choose between sensible and chic. There are SO many cute flats on the market; it's just a question of finding ones that offer good support and fit, while still being cute (or at least cute to me). I'm about to place my first shoe order (beyond mountain bike shoes) in about three years (yes, my shoes are looking pretty rough these days). I have one sporty shoe, one casual flat sandal, two dress sandals with a modest wedge heel, and a pair of dressy shoes that I need for a wedding I'm going to.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Wouldn't it be great if our feet could be happy in whatever shoes our eyes fancied?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    If I had more money and had to wear heels for work I would be! I choose to stick to simple designs and spend more money on bikes. I love heals but I can't get myself to spend money on ones for one outfit. If I had more reasons to wear them I would!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Another hand raised here for frustration in shoe shopping. My right big toe joint has both a bunion and arthritis. Many high heels put pressure on the joint and ballerina style flats cut directly across the joint and are painful. So I have one pair of well made sandal style heels with about a 2" heel that are comfortable (I actually got them a thrift store). I also have some open sandal like shoes with a broad heel made by Clark's. Surprisingly I found a pair of inexpensive, comfortable ballerina flats that have a more soft and stretchy border instead of rigid border around the opening at Pay Less, but they don't have much support. But 90% or more of all women's shoes hurt my feet.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I only wear Keens. I have 47 pairs.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

When I go out for an evening I have some 5" heels I really like. They're great for partying and dancing and I can wear them for about 6 hrs. Actually, they have a platform in front (I need that I have skinny feet and thin soles kill me because the ground is very hard) So they are actually only about 4"

I have a few pairs. I have to say that weight gain and lack of practice has made wearing them more challenging. I used to wear them all the time. Now I wear chacos and running shoes at work, and I have some flat sandals, so wearing them out is a real workout for the calves. I've never fallen and hurt myself in heels though, but I have sprained my ankles in Nike running shoes more times than I can count (narrow front).

That said, I have problems finding shoes that fit. my feet are size 6.5 in length but 5.5 in width, I get blisters on my toes where my feet slide forward. I also have sweaty feet. So I spend a lot of money on insoles and stuff, and I take good care of my shoes so they'll last me a good long time. I can't wear any closed pumps for more than 2 hours because my middle toe gets crushed, unless its the big size and has a full size of padding inside. I don't like chunky shoes and I'm on the search for some simple leather sandals. My last pair (I bought 2 pairs exactly the same) is getting really worn out. It's not the outside sole though, it's the inside sole

I saw this today it's funny/intersting. Stiletto workout!

http://www.xojane.com/healthy/stiletto-workout

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    I only wear Keens. I have 47 pairs.
    Wow. I have a "problem" which I must face head on...I have about 15 prs. of shoes in another city. And I know half of them I can't wear anymore...after spending that money, etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.