Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My first foray into making fresh mozzarella

To disable ads, please log-in.

And it turned out pretty good after all. Amazing that a few simple natural ingredients can produce this tasty cheese. Milk, citrus acid, vegetable rennet, a pinch of sea salt and there you go. It was remarkably easy, took under an hour, because we were horsing around a bit and the best part was washing it all down with Fat Tire Beer and munching on Hungarian sausage!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC12793.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	16004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC12790.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	16003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC12784.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	16005
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Cool - I've done paneer - which just requires whole milk and lemon juice. It's a big hit at dinner parties - performance cooking! and tasty to boot.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Cool - I've done paneer - which just requires whole milk and lemon juice. It's a big hit at dinner parties - performance cooking! and tasty to boot.
    Very cool! Exhibition cooking is a fun time for the cook and the guest.
    Bike Writer

I am intrigued. Where do you get the rennet and citric acid? (I have citric acid in the lab but maybe not the best idea to bring it home & cook with it!)
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Whole Foods in my area has both, though I've never tried making it (have seriously reduced my cheese consumption).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I am intrigued. Where do you get the rennet and citric acid? (I have citric acid in the lab but maybe not the best idea to bring it home & cook with it!)
    I got mine from Midwest Supplies an online supplier because my local Whole Foods and Zingermans Deli were both out of it. Here is an alternate source and instructions also

Rennet is available in liquid form and in tablets. Both are available in animal or vegetable versions. I would think that the citric acid you use would be equivalent to the one used in cheese making? But then again I'm not 100% certain. What I received when I ordered it was in a powdered form.

I've been wanting to do this for some time now and last week I decided - JUST DO IT. I was a bit disappointed to have to wait a couple of days for product but that's ok because in the mean time I spent more time looking at You Tube videos of cheese making. I also had more time to poke around other places on the web for ideas. I think I may try cheddar when I feel like I have this one down pat.
    Bike Writer

New England Cheesemaking Supply Co. is a great source as well.

I make chevre occasionally, using goats milk purchased from Trader Joe's. Easy as can be, and tasty too!

I tried to make mozzarella once, but I wasn't too happy with the results. I need to give it another try.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Cool!
    Fresh mozzarella is soooo yummy!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.