Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Saving Up Thread

To disable ads, please log-in.

Are you currently saving up for a bike (or bikes)?? Post your progress here and let us know which bike you're in for!

I'm saving for a Charge Filter Apex -- $525/$1,200

Either a Cannondale Women's Supersix Ultegra or the equivalent Specialized Amira. Or a 29er, or a mixte, though I'm leaning toward the road bike.

My first priority, though, is paying down my student loans. Sigh.

ETA: You won't regret the Charge. It's a tank, to be sure, but it's a comfy ride. It would be easier if I put the road tires I got for it on, but I'm lazy and I'll wait until spring to do that.

I should add that I'd like to pay a chunk of the debt down, but simultaneously save for the new bike. I'm viewing the new bike as an investment in my sanity, and to avoid the knee issues to which my current road bike has been contributing.
    Last edited by Owlie; 02-14-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Saving up for a Salsa El Mariachi Ti- $1500/$2900

well that's the current obsession...it's always changing, but I really just want a great hardtail 29er

I've been saving for the past year for a Kirk Frameworks road bike. I've been on a waiting list for the build for about eight months, and I'm expecting an email saying it's my turn in about a month or so. I'm pretty excited, though am still not back to riding for more than a few slow miles since my injury, and most of that on a trainer. Hoping that just about the time it's ready, I'll also be ready.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I"m saving up for a utility bike. Bigger tires, pannier for groceries, road gearging, suitable for dirt roads, or our horrible pavement here in town. Budget is +/- $1K. I don't know what I want yet: I will talk to my local LBSs and see what they have to say.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Trying to pay down debt right now.

5 years agog I promised myself a new bike for my 65th birthday, Ideally it would be a Madone 6.5 custom, just because the numbers match, but also because never before in my life have I ever had anything that is uniquely mine and distinctly me except my wedding ring and I figured I was d
    I have been saving for it ever since by putting aside whatever lose change I find in my wallet, and whatever I save on my weekly grocery bill through coupons savings. I was almost there, and then the last fall I had has taken a bite out of the budget so it will be another year or so but I will get there.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Trying to build up my emergency savings right now. I do keep glancing at THIS commuter. Scott really bumped the price up a few hundred this year. I might consider this for 2014, perhaps. I REALLY like the disc brakes and internal hub, overall a great commuter/urban ride. It isn't steel however, and I am spoiled.
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-15-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Also paying on student loans.
    But I want a road bike. Nothing high end.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

love this thread!!!!!!! at this point in college tuitions and related kid expenses I am very happy (keep telling self..) with my old bikes and blessed with the good health to enjoy them....Sometimes on group rides I feel like the lone "old bike" rider!

Well, I just finished saving up for and buying my Wilier. I bought the frame ( or put half down on it) first because Wilier in North America makes very few frames in my size (small) and I couldn't even get the Cento1 for the foreseeable future in small as the last one had already gone to a sponsor. So I saved for specific elements - frame first because I wanted to make sure I got one. Then I put the down payment on the Campy Chorus gruppo. Those came in and I picked out my wheels and bought those. Then I finished saving up and making a couple of interim payments while things were coming together. It was ... pricy ... and it took me about 6 months total from the start of saving to owning.

Next month I'm going to start saving for a yet unknown cyclocross or touring bike. No rush on that and not even looking at this point. I'm open for suggestions on that, but that's another thread.

Tealtreak - I ride my LeMond on group rides sometimes and kind of like being that person with a "classic". Even my Klein is "old" , but it just proves their quality, right?
    Last edited by velo; 02-15-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Typo
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

I'm set for bikes.
    Saving for the possibility of retirement. Having no belief that retirement will ever even be possible doesn't really promote saving.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    Well, I just finished saving up for and buying my Wilier. I bought the frame ( or put half down on it) first because Wilier in North America makes very few frames in my size (small) and I couldn't even get the Cento1 for the foreseeable future in small as the last one had already gone to a sponsor. So I saved for specific elements - frame first because I wanted to make sure I got one. Then I put the down payment on the Campy Chorus gruppo. Those came in and I picked out my wheels and bought those. Then I finished saving up and making a couple of interim payments while things were coming together. It was ... pricy ... and it took me about 6 months total from the start of saving to owning.

Next month I'm going to start saving for a yet unknown cyclocross or touring bike. No rush on that and not even looking at this point. I'm open for suggestions on that, but that's another thread.

Tealtreak - I ride my LeMond on group rides sometimes and kind of like being that person with a "classic". Even my Klein is "old" , but it just proves their quality, right?

Thanks! I will remember that! (:

I'm saving for a replacement for the road bike I wrecked last summer. Still not sure what I'm getting, but figuring in the $3K range, so saving. Problem is that savings account is also my travel fund account, and I'm itching to travel. So maybe I need to save a little more each pay.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!