Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clipless 101

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

To disable ads, please log-in.

practice while riding on grass so when you do fall, the fall will not be as hard.

Fall down once, get up twice! How does that saying go?

Here's how we teach to clip + unclip in our Bike Skills clinics. It's pretty foolproof.

To clip in + start:

Straddle the top tube
    Do not sit on the saddle
    Hands on the hoods + apply brakes
    Clip in at the BOTTOM of your pedal stroke (6:00) -- this gives you resistance.
    Lift the clipped in pedal up to 11:00
    Release the brakes and push off with the clipped in pedal, using your body weight to gain momentum
    Look where you want to go. Do not look down at your feet.
    Immediately lift yourself up onto the saddle.
    Let your second foot find the pedal. Don't worry about clipping in until you have some speed (stability).
    Pedal, pedal, pedal. Speed is your friend and you want to gain momentum as quickly as possible.

To stop and unclip:

Stand on the pedal that you WON'T be clipping out (this one tip will prevent you from leaning the wrong direction).
    Do NOT look down at your feet -- look where you want to go.
    Keep up your momentum until the last minute (stability).
    Unclip at the TOP of your pedal stroke.
    Apply the brakes, bring the bike to a stop and step down to straddle the top tube.

I used to believe (like many others) that you had to fall X number of times when learning to use clipless pedals. I no longer believe this. You don't have to fall. Speed is your friend (it keeps the bike upright) and your goal when starting is to gain momentum/speed as quickly as possible. Your goal when stopping is to maintain momentum/speed as long as possible before stopping.

Good luck!

Re: Clipless 101

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    Fall down once, get up twice! How does that saying go?

Here's how we teach to clip + unclip in our Bike Skills clinics. It's pretty foolproof.

To clip in + start:

Straddle the top tube
    Do not sit on the saddle
    Hands on the hoods + apply brakes
    Clip in at the BOTTOM of your pedal stroke (6:00) -- this gives you resistance.
    Lift the clipped in pedal up to 11:00
    Release the brakes and push off with the clipped in pedal, using your body weight to gain momentum
    Look where you want to go. Do not look down at your feet.
    Immediately lift yourself up onto the saddle.
    Let your second foot find the pedal. Don't worry about clipping in until you have some speed (stability).
    Pedal, pedal, pedal. Speed is your friend and you want to gain momentum as quickly as possible.

To stop and unclip:

Stand on the pedal that you WON'T be clipping out (this one tip will prevent you from leaning the wrong direction).
    Do NOT look down at your feet -- look where you want to go.
    Keep up your momentum until the last minute (stability).
    Unclip at the TOP of your pedal stroke.
    Apply the brakes, bring the bike to a stop and step down to straddle the top tube.

I used to believe (like many others) that you had to fall X number of times when learning to use clipless pedals. I no longer believe this. You don't have to fall. Speed is your friend (it keeps the bike upright) and your goal when starting is to gain momentum/speed as quickly as possible. Your goal when stopping is to maintain momentum/speed as long as possible before stopping.

Good luck!
    Excellent advice! Unclipping at 12 will be a challenge, but I'll try it.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I don't see how it's comfortable, or even safe, to unclip when your foot is up by your knee! I've had to unclip in the 12 position in emergency stops, but it feels totally wrong and awkward. I've been riding for 12 years or so and while I'm not an expert, I wouldn't teach anyone this way. Of course, people need to do what works for them, but it just seems like it would put most people off balance.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Just the opposite for me ... I can't see how it would be comfortable or safe to unclip at 6:00! To me, I would be at high risk of weighting the pedal and reclipping, as well as off balance and committed to putting my foot down. But if that's what works for someone else ... whatev'!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Re: Clipless 101

Good thing I'm at the stage where nothing is natural yet :-) For what it's worth when I unclip I instinctually dangle that right foot off the pedal just a bit.
    2013 Electra Verse

This morning I tried the unclipping at 12 o'clock and I could barely turn my foot. It did not work well. I guess I am back to the six o'clock position.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I guess I don't understand the mechanics of 12 o'clock. When I unclip at 6 I'm putting pressure on that foot and I automatically lean that way to put my foot down. When my unclipped foot (left) is down I want to lean that way and that can't be good
    2013 Electra Verse

It's funny how everyone does it differently!

I was told to unclip at 12, so the clipped in foot down at 6 puts you in a more stable position. If you unclip at 6, are you then doing a half stroke to get that foot up to 12 before you put your other foot down?

I've always unclipped at 12. I also unclip my right foot, which is the dominant leg, and this was a hot topic of conversation on some group rides, lol.

WHatever works for ya!

I'm sure that the unclipping and the 6:00 vs 12:00 position is also a personal preference. The problem as a newbie is to figure out what your body naturally wants to do. I tried unclipping near grass on my right side because I was practicing unclipping my right foot first, but I actually fell away from the grass and on to concrete. However, that did help me figure out that my body STRONGLY prefers unclipping left first. Personally, I also unclip better at the 6:00 position too.

Reminders: Don't forget that you can also backpedal your leg to get in the best unclipping position if you are slowing to a stop. Also, don't forget to tilt your bike in the correct direction so that the bike leans against you after you have unclipped. I have fallen over with 1 clipped leg and the other leg standing at the light because I accidentally leaned my bike the wrong way.

Can you all tell that I have fallen 20+ times by now?

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    I'm sure that the unclipping and the 6:00 vs 12:00 position is also a personal preference. The problem as a newbie is to figure out what your body naturally wants to do. I tried unclipping near grass on my right side because I was practicing unclipping my right foot first, but I actually fell away from the grass and on to concrete. However, that did help me figure out that my body STRONGLY prefers unclipping left first. Personally, I also unclip better at the 6:00 position too.

Reminders: Don't forget that you can also backpedal your leg to get in the best unclipping position if you are slowing to a stop. Also, don't forget to tilt your bike in the correct direction so that the bike leans against you after you have unclipped. I have fallen over with 1 clipped leg and the other leg standing at the light because I accidentally leaned my bike the wrong way.

Can you all tell that I have fallen 20+ times by now?

You are NOT inspiring confidence LOL! I just know one of these days I'm going to forget I'm clipped in, stop and promptly fall over. I know people who can track stand, but I'm not one of them! The backpedaling advice is very good though. I have used that a few times.
    2013 Electra Verse

I guess my point of inspiration is that....if clumsy me can do it, anyone can!

Although, due to my clumsiness, I refuse to go clipless on my mountain bike.