Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

She's Here! My new Wilier

To disable ads, please log-in.

So here are the pics. I am NOT an accomplished photographer, so for now, this is the best I can do. It's a 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo with full 2013 Campagnolo Chorus (11-speed and a compact 34/50). The wheels are the mid-profile Campagnolo Eurus 2-way (I have Vredestein Tri-comp clinchers on it now, but like the option of tubless later) and I put one of my Selle Italia Ldy Trans Am (no longer made ) saddles on it. Shimano carbon Ultegra pedals.

I took it out yesterday for the first ride and am in LOVE. It's just a great ride. I told them that I wanted it to be less aggressive than my Klein, but they set it up a little too relaxed, I think, so I'm going to ride it for a bit and then probably go back and get either a 0 degree rise stem (this one is about 35, I think) or maybe just flip this stem (which may make it too aggressive). I ride a lot in my drops and even in my drops, I feel a little more upright than I want. Also I think I may need to have the saddle set back a little bit. Good news is... free fittings for life on the bike, so, I can fiddle as much as I want with this. I am, at the outset, though, absolutely THRILLED! Here she is...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2212.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	15962

Name:	DSC_2213.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	15963

Name:	DSC_2214.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	15964

Name:	DSC_2218.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	15965
    Last edited by velo; 02-10-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Re: She's Here! My new Wilier

Oooohhhh, pretty!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Wow. Seriously gorgeous bike. Congrats!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Don't make me go back to the computer repair place.

Hot tea in my laptop I could explain. Drool, not so much.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wow!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Beautiful! And I'm very envious of your Campy Chorus...had that on a bike years ago (the one I crashed on). That was a sweet group. Loved the shifting (also had a 34-50 compact).
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

OMG she is Gorgeous!....If I ever lose the pounds I need to...and get good enough to be able to average at least 20MPH + on a road bike I will consider one of this or similar...she is a beauty!>>>Congrats!

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

Thanks all! I didn't get to ride today due to weather, but rode my Klein on the trainer. It made me realize the difference in fit and I think I need a lower rise stem on the Wilier (it's 34 degrees, I think). My Klein has no rise and I do like it better. I don't want to flip the stem because it would make the saddle to handlebar drop too drastic. I have the max spacers on there too, so lots of room to adjust. I just can't wait to have a good day to get in a nice long ride - probably Wednesday - and be able to do some more thoughtful evaluation before heading back to the store.

Emily - I have 10 speed Chorus on my Klein and 8 speed on my LeMond and well... spoiled for Campy I suppose as the bikes without it just didn't do it for me. The custom build process was a blast and in the end got exactly what I want. I will say that going from 10 to 11 is more of a difference than I thought it would be, but I'm also coming from a standard 39/53 crank, too.

Giulianna - I certainly don't average 20 by myself, so if I waited for that, it could be a long wait. And this bike won't make me any faster, only riding and training will do that, but I will have an awfully fun time working toward that kind of goal!!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Congratulations! It's beautiful!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Beautiful. Gee thanks now I want one. Hope the weather lets you get in a good long ride soon!
    --2012 Trek Lexa with Terry butterfly saddle.

Wow; that's a gorgeous bike. Have fun with her, Velo!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    Giulianna - I certainly don't average 20 by myself, so if I waited for that, it could be a long wait. And this bike won't make me any faster, only riding and training will do that, but I will have an awfully fun time working toward that kind of goal!!
    I still have big hopes that someday I will achieve that goal and I am giving myself a good 6 months to lose at least 30 pounds and 2 years to ride at 20mph.. That will be my only reason to justify spending money on a real high end road bike I would love to own one but I think I need to deserve it and/or earn it.....so if I want it ....I better work hard for it.... lol

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

Wow. Nice. I've heard great things about the Wilier bikes. Would love to hear more bout the ride and a review once you've got things dialed in. What drew you to the Wilier brand (or this particular bike) vs others especially since wilier isn't so well known or as widely available usually?
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
    Wow. Nice. I've heard great things about the Wilier bikes. Would love to hear more bout the ride and a review once you've got things dialed in. What drew you to the Wilier brand (or this particular bike) vs others especially since wilier isn't so well known or as widely available usually?
    I've ridden about 70 miles on it and it does need some tweaking, but I really do love this bike. My review thus far is - it rocks - is quick and responsive and smooth as silk (especially compared to my aluminum Klein).

Wilier isn't so well known in the US, but that isn't really the case elsewhere. My dh isn't American and we've lived in Europe and travel there regularly and Wilier isn't as obscure there as it is here. I knew the brand and was really excited to know that I had a relatively local LBS that was a dealer. I was drawn to them from having ridden one before and knowing others that do and appreciate their quality. I'm an odd duck that I don't usually like to go along with the majority, so although I did test ride some from the major manufacturers, I really wanted something more unique. I was looking really at European brands. On a recent trip to Germany, I looked at Canyon (not sold in US, or so I'm told, so too difficult to deal with trying to purchase) and here in the US, I looked at Merckx and Ridley. Then I thought "I really want something Italian" because I knew I was spoiled for Campy and wanted the Chorus 11. I wanted an all-Italian bike. So for my local options that would be Colnago, Pinarello, or Wilier. The Colnago dealer is just TOO big and impersonal. I went with a smaller, more hands-on LBS (carrying Wilier and Pinarello) and the experience was great. I preferred the geometry of the Wilier Gran Turismo over all the Pinarellos and that's how I chose it. I chose the GT over the Cento1 because I am not a frequent bike purchaser and this will allow me to make it more relaxed as I get older (I'm 42 now) whereas the Cento1 was more like my Klein... aggressive, aggressive, aggressive. So that was kind of the thought process. It may not make a lot of sense, but in the end I'm a very happy rider, so I think the process served me well. I highly recommend the brand!!

Beautiful - and glad you are having fun with it!