Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to unclip?

How to unclip?

To disable ads, please log-in.

To make a long story short the shoes I decided I liked the best would not work with MTB pedals so I got these Shimano R540 Spd SL Road Pedals Black. The shop guy made sure they were on their loosest setting, but I still seem to be having a heck of a time getting my left foot out and it seems to me that I have to give both sides a good hard yank to get out, but it doesn't always work with the left foot. In fact, a lot of the time it doesn't. Suggestions?
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I've no good advice for you (I had the same problem which is how I wound up changing to Speedplay Frogs), but I feel your pain in this. Perhaps a couple drops of lube might help?

Certainly couldn't hurt!

In case anyone was wondering the shoe requires a 3 bolt system.
    Last edited by thekarens; 02-09-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    2013 Electra Verse

If you have a trainer, put it on the trainer and clip/unclip a gazillion times - this might help to break them in and, hopefully, make it easier...

Re: How to unclip?

No trainer, I've been practicing in the hallway holding onto the walls :-)
    2013 Electra Verse

Do you have the instruction manuals? No offense to your bike guy... but my first thought would be to check the shoe/cleat and pedal settings against the manuals to see if they really are at the loosest setting.....(I hate to sound jaded,..but I always double check this kinda stuff because they don't always do it correctly... that goes for house appliances too haha)

I HATED SPD-SLs and had several issues with being unable to unclip and have permanent scars to show for it. Looks have been MUCH better in terms of unclipping.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I've SPD-SL's, and have never had a problem with them. But, it seems like there was a bad batch of them in circulation last year where people had the problems you describe.
    I think there was more than ONE bad batch, my problem was 2 years ago...and I had already learned clipless on dual-sided SPD pedals. I know a couple of people this year who had the same problem and moved to non-SPD pedals - but of course who can say when those pedals were manufactured?

When I got my road bike I wanted Eggbeaters. When they were setting up my bike at the bike shop I tried them out, and I just could not get out of them no matter what I did. The shoes I'd chosen were drilled for either two or three bolts. I put on Looks, which I had experience with from way back in the day, and haven't looked back.

It stinks that they let you go home with pedals and cleats that weren't working for you on the trainer. I think the difference with me was that I DID have 20-year-old muscle memory of how unclipping was supposed to feel, and I KNEW that large amounts of force and >45° rotation aren't normal, safe, or acceptable. I didn't even begin to let them dismiss my concerns, I just told them to take those pedals and cleats off and give me Looks instead.

Maybe on that basis you can get them to take them back in exchange for something that you can clip and unclip at least on the trainer. If not, hopefully you can unload them either locally or here on TE for not too much loss.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 02-10-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

As far as the setting goes I watched him do the one pedal and that one I know was on the loosest setting, but on the other I wasn't paying attention.

I did check out the Looks, but they were quite a bit more expensive. He told me I could come back on Monday and he'd set me up on the trainer.

I may also take my bike to the shop where I bought it and see what he says.
    2013 Electra Verse

As a side note my partner got the eggbeaters and Scattante shoes, or them on the the house and within 15 minutes was zooming around the neighborhood. I was a tad jealous :-)
    2013 Electra Verse

I've SPD-SL's, and have never had a problem with them. But, it seems like there was a bad batch of them in circulation last year where people had the problems you describe.
    My boss says there were a batch or two of bad 105 pedals that have been running around.

He doesn't like the R540s because it uses the older version of the mechanism (that, and the plastic plate on the pedals that keep needing to be replaced). But he's something of a bike snob.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

For what it's worth I've managed to get the left foot unclipped, but it feels much tougher than the right foot. I'm taking the bike to the shop where I got the shoes and will put it on the trainer so they can watch me and get their opinion. After that I'm going to suck it up and go to an empty parking lot to try it out. Like most people, I'm slightly freaked "Everyone" keeps telling me it's easier to practice when you're actually moving, so we'll see.

PS....clipping in seems easy enough, though I'm not sure I can do it without looking because the pedal keeps flipping over.
    2013 Electra Verse

Mechanical issues aside, can you picture squishing a bug against the pavement? Press down and twist, then yank your foot back?

Do the right foot a bunch of times until it loosens.
    That may be part of the problem. I've only been twisting, no pushing down. Thanks for the suggestion!
    2013 Electra Verse

Be sure to put weight on your opposite foot as well, so you don't fall over. (Not sure I can describe any better without actually getting on the bike).
    That makes sense. If you have too much pressure and it's not balanced on the other side you're going to fall over. I'll practice on the trainer at the shop tonight and if all goes well the street tomorrow.
    2013 Electra Verse