Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Heated clothing?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello everybody,

Since it is very cold out here where i live and I still want to train,
    a friend of mine told me something about heated clothing, does anybody here has any expierience with that?
    I am wondering if it is comfortable and easy to train with, he told me it is better to train with that,so I'm curious to know your opinion.

Thanks!

How cold is very cold?

Unheated clothing shouldn't be a limiting factor for training in most climates in the world. In the winter it can be too icy, too dark, cleared traffic lanes can be too narrow, or if you have asthma you may not want to exert yourself in the cold. But you should be able to easily generate enough body heat to stay warm with the right clothing. (Check out the "Wool Weenies" thread...)

I've worn heated motorcycling gloves and DH has a vest. But those are for motorcycling when wind chills are extreme and you're not usually getting higher than about a Zone 2 heartrate (unless maybe if you're ice racing...). Besides it really not being necessary, I can't imagine carrying around a battery pack big enough to keep it running!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well, generating enough body heat is not the big problem. My friend has a heated body layer and he says it's ideal for starting your training and when you stop, for provisioning for example... it's adjustable
    I don't know what the brand was, i'll ask

Quote Originally Posted by yvette123 View Post
    Well, generating enough body heat is not the big problem.
    I honestly can't imagine why generating body heat shouldn't be enough. How cold do you mean? I bike down to -15 deg C and XC ski below that, and the problem is keeping dry, because you can't help generating excess heat if you're working hard enough to call it training. Feet can get cold if constricted in biking shoes, but that's a bit different, and I still would rather reckon on good insulation than a dodgy battery pack.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett