Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Giro Espada

Giro Espada

To disable ads, please log-in.

Tonight I tried a zillion shoes...Specialized, Bontrager, LG, Scattante and probably others that I just can't think of right now. The only brand I haven't tried is Sidis and that might be for the best considering the price.

The ones that fit the best were the Giros, followed by the Specialized. I did not try any MTB shoes, only road. I have super narrow feet and heels, so feel free to make any recommendations.

My partner got Scattante shoes and eggbeaters. She liked the idea of having 4 sides that she could clip into. I'm leaning towards Shimano M520s. Any opinions?
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Go with Giro. I have a narrowish foot (narrow end of B) and a narrower heel with a wider forefoot. My Specialized shoes are definitely too wide in the heel. We only just got Giro shoes, so I haven't tried them yet. The Scattantes were too wide in the heel even though they fit everywhere else, and same with LG. I tried men's Mavics (did you try Mavic?) and they were close, so the women's would be perfect for me. I haven't tried Sidi yet, but they last forever, so they may end up being cheaper in the long run. And if they fit well, then there's your answer.

The M520 is a mountain pedal, so you'll have to make sure that your shoe is either a mountain bike shoe (fit's generally close between lines, since I think they use the same last), or is drilled to accept 2- and 3-bolt cleats. I have M540s (a grade up; the 530 has the platform around it). Aside from being lighter, I don't think there's a ton of difference. I really like them, but my knees don't seem to. However, I have M545s on my cross bike and I think it's less the pedal and more a gearing problem.

I do recommend them (520s, since we don't carry the 540s) or the 530s to beginners because they're double-sided, so you don't have to hunt around to clip in. They're also fairly durable. The downside with the 540s is that I get hot spots around mile 30, but I think stiff shoes and a proper pedal stroke take care of that to some extent.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Re: Giro Espada

Thanks for the advice! So far I haven't found a place that carries Mavics or Sidis, but I'm going to try a couple more shops tomorrow.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Sidis can be hard to find. There aren't that many places that carry them, unfortunately, because they're really spendy and if you're not in a cycling hotspot, there aren't going to be enough people who want them to justify carrying them. My local Performance carries Mavic, but it doesn't sound like yours does.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...