Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Bras...(venting)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sounds very nice! I love my new encapsulated sports bras but I have to position my HRM strap below the band. Pity that it dosent come in numbered sizes...

A brand to check out that carries smaller band/larger cup bras is Lunaire...and their prices are WAY cheap for the quality of their bras. I'm a 32DD-34D and have a hard time finding bras that are full-cup enough. I have to have very full coverage or I end up with quadra-boobs, because my breast base is so friggin' wide (that's why I'm a 34D after reduction surgery, which I would have preferred to be a C...a C would have meant having "pancake boobs").
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    A brand to check out that carries smaller band/larger cup bras is Lunaire...and their prices are WAY cheap for the quality of their bras. I'm a 32DD-34D and have a hard time finding bras that are full-cup enough. I have to have very full coverage or I end up with quadra-boobs, because my breast base is so friggin' wide (that's why I'm a 34D after reduction surgery, which I would have preferred to be a C...a C would have meant having "pancake boobs").
    Thanks for this - I really like their prices! I seem to have a problem finding bras with the appropriate size cups that allow me to adjust the shoulder straps properly. Often they are either much too loose at the tightest setting, or too tight at the loosest. I am a 32DDDD/F.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I am a 32DDDD/F.
    A 32DDDD should be a 32G, at least in most US manufacturers. That has to be a tough size to find. Even a 32D is a biotch, most of the time.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

A 32DDDD should be a 32G, at least in most US manufacturers. That has to be a tough size to find. Even a 32D is a biotch, most of the time.
    I've found that where my cup size is concerned the manufacturer and even bra style matters - I think I am between an F/G. For Euro companies (like Chantelle), F (DDD) is fine - but I've got to be very careful the shoulder strap isn't a fancy one with decorations or "split" or there isn't enough room to adjust the strap. My favorite/best fitting is a Chantelle while the one with the loosest strap is also a Chantelle. My last foray to Nordstrom's Rack bra clearance section scored an American DDD - which is too small in all ways (I didn't try it on, last time THAT will happen). The shoulder strap is so tight that it causes my bad shoulder to hurt
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-18-2013 at 01:40 AM.

And then there's the whole US/UK cup size discrepancy to further confuse the issue. Since I need a 28-30 band, I exclusively wear UK brands and consequently think of my cup size in UK terms.

I wish the US manufacturers would get on board with bands smaller than 34.....

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    And then there's the whole US/UK cup size discrepancy to further confuse the issue. Since I need a 28-30 band, I exclusively wear UK brands and consequently think of my cup size in UK terms.

I wish the US manufacturers would get on board with bands smaller than 34.....
    Yep, I've given up on American brands. Except for Freya - though I am unsure where they are from. I've also learned to pay much closer attention to the shoulder strap style - with a proper fitting band it makes much more of a difference than it once did.

I've always considered Freya a UK brand, although I'm not sure if they still are now that Wacoal has bought their parent company, Eveden Group.

Freya still goes by UK sizing but from what I understand most women are sizing down a band size because their bands are so stretchy.

Catrin, have you seen this site? http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/ There's tons of information plus advice on whether or not the bra fits. Many women sell or swap bras here. I wish I had found this 2 yrs ago when I was trying to figure out my size.

Re: Bras...(venting)

Thanks! I know my size, it is finding a style/brand that fits me in both cup, band and straps that is the problem - more tue latter than anything. Ive had good luck with cup and band... I think it is due to being, ahem, low slung
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-18-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Nordstrom has just been a lifesaver to me, first for measuring me, and 2nd for providing so many sizes. Some dept stores don't carry over a DD! Since I've lost some weight, i also needed new bras a few weeks ago. I didn't get refit, but was able to figure out on my own that i needed to go down a band and up a cup size, which put me at a, ahem, coughcoughcough34Hcoughcoughcough. I found some nice Chantelle and a few Wacoals. I also found a few at Nordy's Rack!! Love Nordys!

And what is a balcony bra? Push up-ish? I'm scared to order one, lol.

So, on a related topic...what do you ladies do for bathing suits? (If this is too far off topic, plz ignore.) Those teeny tiny little "shelf" bras in bathing suits, ha! Even "soft cups" usually only fit up to a C or maybe D. I've had luck with Lands End in the past, special ordering online, but very hard to get the right fit without ordering several suits. Tankinis are my favorite cut, but so many of the tops are halter, which are scandalous looking on me, lol.
    Last edited by Penny4; 03-18-2013 at 04:08 PM.

The women are there are very knowledgable. There is a lot more to bra fit than band and cup size. Just reading will help you evaluate bra fit and find brands that will work for you.
    I finally figured out why the Cleo Lucy doesn't work for me and what my figure is. Not low slung as I thought. Now I understand why some Panache Cleo bras work for me while others I've tried don't.

Bra fit is very confusing unless you have a very good fitter. Yesterday I observed women in the cafeteria at a local ski area and it was amazing the number in poor fitting bras. Just looking at their backs it was obvious that their bras didn't fit. Bands riding up in the back are the most obvious sign of a poor fitting bra. It didn't matter size, shape or age.

Sorry about the rant but it's unbelievable to so many women in such poor fitting bras.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny4 View Post
    Nordstrom has just been a lifesaver to me, first for measuring me, and 2nd for providing so many sizes. Some dept stores don't carry over a DD! Since I've lost some weight, i also needed new bras a few weeks ago. I didn't get refit, but was able to figure out on my own that i needed to go down a band and up a cup size, which put me at a, ahem, coughcoughcough34Hcoughcoughcough. I found some nice Chantelle and a few Wacoals. I also found a few at Nordy's Rack!! Love Nordys!

And what is a balcony bra? Push up-ish? I'm scared to order one, lol.

So, on a related topic...what do you ladies do for bathing suits? (If this is too far off topic, plz ignore.) Those teeny tiny little "shelf" bras in bathing suits, ha! Even "soft cups" usually only fit up to a C or maybe D. I've had luck with Lands End in the past, special ordering online, but very hard to get the right fit without ordering several suits. Tankinis are my favorite cut, but so many of the tops are halter, which are scandalous looking on me, lol.

Panache, Freya and others make swimsuits, including tankinis, in cup and band sizes. US online companies such as HeRRoom.Com, BareNecessaties.Com have them as well as UK companies such as BraStop.com, Figleaves and UK EBay. I've heard there are good deals from the UK companies but I'm not sure if shipping costs and import duty out weighs the prices. I do know that Figleaves told me that if you order over $200 US you have to pay duty. Figleaves has a US location for returns so postage is less. US companies often offer free shipping over a certain price or on certain bras. Return shipping is on you but 1 exchange is free. Swim suit bottoms also come in sizes. I've seen good swimsuit sales on these sites at the end of the summer.

Don't be embarrassed about your size. Places like VS make women believe every woman is a small size because they sell limited ranges. If you check out ABTF you'll be amazed at the range of sizes that women really are. I'm a 28FF but my back size is 26".

Bra Styles http://www.butterflycollection.ca/pages/Bra-Styles.html

Balcony bras and balconette bras are pretty much the same. I wear balcony bras because I'm afraid full cup will be too much coverage for me. I disagree with the description, that only happens if you have the correct fit for your body and the style of the bra. My first attempts gave me none of these characteristics. It took me nearly 2 yrs. to figure out what works for me. Now that I'm in the correct fit I don't look so "low slung".