Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Nice! I need to find a Nordstrom Rack....

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Nice! I need to find a Nordstrom Rack....
    I was impressed with what I found there - I think it is basically their version of a TJ Maxx. It's also the first time since I started wearing bras that it wasn't tan, beige or black - one is pink and the other is blue...I must be going wild in my old age but I couldn't resist when I found them for a 70% discount

I also took the chance to try on a 34 band to see if it really is too large for me, and it is.
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-09-2013 at 12:14 PM.

My mom, who wore a size 4 shoe, used to buy her shoes at the Rack.
    I have accepted the fact that I have to pay $$$ for a good bra. While I am on the edge of wearing a hard to find size (32B), I never would have known this if I hadn't decided to stop buying my bras online, thinking I wore I a 34A, because the 32As were too tight. I have been going to a LLS for about 5 years, they sized me correctly, and it's been worth it. Plus, every year on my birthday, they send me a 20% off coupon and that's when i go shopping!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That's awesome, Catrin! I've never been to that store. I might have to check it out. I new bras myself.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I love the Rack!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I love the Rack!
    Which one? Yours or Norstrom's
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Nordie's is way more fun than mine!
    There's one right near here.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    That's awesome, Catrin! I've never been to that store. I might have to check it out. I new bras myself.
    It is in the same shopping center next to the old BGI North location before they moved one lot over. While I've accepted that new bras are just going to be more spendy than they once were, it was nice to be able to look through racks of choices and none of them appeared to be poor quality. A few of the styles looked mighty uncomfortable to me, but we all like different things for sure.

We wear the same size, Catrin. (That is, it seems that training hard makes my boobs wander to my thighs or something so maybe even 32 E now.) I don't know how much bras would normally cost you, but I find most bras at Figleaves or Bravissimo quite affordable. Sometimes a cross-size from cheaper brand (for example 34 E for you) fits well enough too, but I have to say the pricier bras tend to fit better.
    Make sure you try different brands and styles of bras too, over the years I found that "Cleo" halfcups tend to be the best fit for me, Freyas are often too deep in the cup and plunge style don't go along well with my form. Sports bras are still trial and error for me. I don't know why but the sizing is different (exept for the Panache Sports bra, it's true to size).

Thanks for your thoughts Susan - I've learned a lot in the past few weeks Sadly the half cups don't seem to work for me, I need more than that but I am loving the Chantelles I scored at Nordstrom Rack the other day! I also really like the Frey sports bras I purchased last month. Full encapsulation and they are the same size as my Chantelle fashion bra. The band fits more tightly of course, and getting out of them are like safe-cracking but they feel SO good in my intense training session. The band fits too tight, however, for my to wear my HRM strap in the usual place. I am going to try wearing it below my bra tomorrow and see how well that works.

Chantelle makes a bra I really want to try that is designed for my south-seeking gals - as much as I like my Chantelle purchase I may try that one rather than the Freya Gem...

The Freya Gem ist really pretty Have you had the chance to try the Cleo Lucy? It seems to be quite similar to the Freya gem, comes up quite high too and is a really great fit for me - I guess the best fiiting bra I own, everything stays in place. The band fits more snugly than on most other bras I own and it gives a nice round shape (wich doesn't come naturally for me ).

Sports bras and HRMs can be a bit tricky, I had the same problem (I haven't used a HRM in a long time now). I had most success with squeezing it in a bit above the band. I liked the Freya Sports too, it feels very safe, but I think my current favourite is the Shock Absorber Max Sports Top. Not as much separation, but holds up to everything I do.
    Last edited by Susan; 02-11-2013 at 01:35 PM.

The Freya Gem is pretty, isn't it? I've been told it would give me the proper support. This Chantelle Chacemire 3 part bra is also beautiful, I think I like it even better...keeping an eye out for sales It has side slings that helps to hold and support. I suspect the Chantelle might fit me better - although they are both 3-part bras so they may well both serve my needs the same.

I tried on several 34-band bras the other day and they just don't provide me enough support. It was like I didn't have a bra on...and I won't return to that. If that means I have fewer of them and save a bit longer then so be it. I hadn't realized just how much better it feels to have proper support. I will keep my eye out for the Cleo Lucy to try on.

NYT covers some more companies with fitting software. No sports bras it doesn't appear, but might be useful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/b...me&ref=general
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    NYT covers some more companies with fitting software. No sports bras it doesn't appear, but might be useful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/b...me&ref=general
    Very interesting approach, I am going to have to try them out! Thankfully I love my Freya sports bras, it is the everyday bras that are proving a bit more challenging...

I just got the new Champion Show-Off Bra, and so far, I like.

Champion changed the fabric in the bra I'd been wearing for years, to where the new ones really don't support me , so I'd been looking for something new.

I just did bridge repeats in it yesterday, for a total of 8.5 miles counting the jog to and from the bridge - so not enough to know if it'll cause problems on a real long run, but enough for first impressions, and here they are:

Rock solid encapsulation support. I've whined here before about how hard it is to find very firm support for small breasts, but this bra has it. I don't think my boobs have moved so little on a run since I was 12 years old and they were the size of apricot halves. I've never worn an encapsulation bra that really gave me any support at all, so I'm impressed. Bonus that I wasn't expecting, is that it doesn't put the pressure on my still-unstable collarbones and ribs that my old compression bras do. And I really don't care about uniboob, but for those who keep score of that, this one gives nice separation.

Room for a HRM strap underneath. That can be a deal-breaker for me with some bras. This one fits just as nicely as my old favorite. I was getting just a teensy bit of pinching with the HRM strap slide adjuster on one side, but that's more to do with my individual configuration than with the bra itself. It may chafe on long runs, it may not - we'll see.

Adjustable straps. Again, we'll see how they wear in. Strap length can be an issue for me since my boobs ride low, but there's lots of adjustment in these. First wearing, the adjusters are very stiff - impossible for me to adjust while wearing the thing, and they didn't slip at all during my run. At that distance, no chafing from the adjusters, and even though the straps are only a little wider than a day-wear bra, they're soft, and in the racerback configuration they didn't give me any trouble.

Adjustable band. This is just as valuable for the ability to partially open up the racerback for putting it on and taking it off, as for the adjustment itself. I wondered how this would look in real life, since hook-and-eye closures can make a sport top look like underwear, but I think this is one is reasonably attractive even with this closure. I don't work out without a shirt any more, but I used to, and I would've been comfortable wearing this alone. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to change my shirt in public while wearing this bra.

Concealment. Now, this leans negative for me, because I really don't care about my headlights, and any padding means it's going to need extra care in the wash and in the underwear drawer, and that it will wear out faster no matter how careful I am with it. But, I've got very prominent headlights, and this bra completely hides them. It's got little reinforced stars in the nipple area for extra concealment. There's no color show-through either in the white one that I got.

It only comes in S/M/L/XL, which means it probably won't fit anyone whose cup size is much off the average for their band size. And since the Small fits my 34-small-b self so nicely, smaller women won't find one in their size, either.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-15-2013 at 04:34 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler