Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help me figure something out.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ordering the CX bike this week. (EEK!)

Having a hard time with the sizing, though. I thought about getting an extra-small, but one of the mechanics at work thought that that would result in a huge saddle-to-bar drop and that it might be silly without a really long stem, given that I'm not racing this bike. His suggestion was getting a small. The small seems like it would be pretty long for this type of bike, though.

Thoughts? I'm just under 5'7" with long legs and longish arms. I'm not racing this bike, though I wouldn't be opposed to trying it at some point. This is going to be a "sport utility" bike--I'll be mostly riding it in winter, commuter, backup roadie, occasional off-roading... A 52-53cm top tube is perfect on a regular road bike.

Here's the geometry chart (click "sizing chart"). If I get the XS, it'll be that bike; there's no geometry difference in the 2013 version, just a color change and some parts. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...551_1108548_-1
    Last edited by Owlie; 01-08-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Geometry chart would be helpful...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

5'7 on an XS?! Wow! Maybe I should reconsider wanting to buy this same bike!

I have no clue how to help you with this sort of thing... wish I could... I would say you should try to sit on one in person, but I don't know any stores that keep it stocked Stateswise. I hope others can help you with this. Good luck, and I'm excited for your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Swan View Post
    5'7 on an XS?! Wow! Maybe I should reconsider wanting to buy this same bike!

I have no clue how to help you with this sort of thing... wish I could... I would say you should try to sit on one in person, but I don't know any stores that keep it stocked Stateswise. I hope others can help you with this. Good luck, and I'm excited for your purchase!
    How tall are you? Cyclocross bikes in general tend to run big (bottom bracket is up higher), so while it's probably the equivalent of a 46cm bike, it's got the measurements of a 48 or 49 cm frame otherwise. I'm also short-torsoed.
    Let's just say I can get my hands easily on an extra-small (coworker has one), but a small is harder to come by. I have tried their road bike in a size small (same TT and seat tube angle measurements, IIRC) and it could work with a shorter stem, but I'd be more comfortable on their XS, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    How tall are you? Cyclocross bikes in general tend to run big (bottom bracket is up higher), so while it's probably the equivalent of a 46cm bike, it's got the measurements of a 48 or 49 cm frame otherwise. I'm also short-torsoed.
    Let's just say I can get my hands easily on an extra-small (coworker has one), but a small is harder to come by. I have tried their road bike in a size small (same TT and seat tube angle measurements, IIRC) and it could work with a shorter stem, but I'd be more comfortable on their XS, probably.
    Meaning that the shorties around here (like me) would have no chance at finding a CX bike that fit? (Good grief, it was hard enough finding a road bike!)
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I'm anywhere from 5'2 to 5'4 depending on the day and the doctor. Gosh, this buying a bike thing just gets more and more complicated, though. How disheartening. Do you know the standover height for the CFA?

edit: This blog recs the Cross Check for people under 5', and this site and this thread also list possible CX bikes for shorties.
    Last edited by Swan; 01-08-2013 at 10:53 PM.

So test ride your co-worker's XS. You've got enough experience to get a reasonable idea of what fit tweaks might help vs. what's beyond the limits of the frame size.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Tried hers--she had to cut down the seatpost a ton, so there's no way to get an accurate picture with her bike. I've tried the one in the shop (warehouse double-sent her bike). and it's comfortable length-wise, but there's that saddle-to-bar drop that the mechanic was concerned about. I would need a slightly longer stem on it, though.

I'll talk to my boss and see what he thinks, and see if I can get in touch with my fitter for the measurements.

You, obviously, know best what works for you, and every body is different, but the extra small just seems too small imo.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

If the XS is comfortable length-wise, I don't know that you're really going to want a larger frame. Since you'll be ordering the frame anyway, what about getting the fork uncut? It won't be the prettiest thing if you have to leave the steerer tube ridiculously long, but it'll let you cut it to your own size rather than making compromises with the stem.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I got to take the XS out today again, this time for longer, though it was a bit of a challenge staying out of the puddles.

Actually riding it, I felt a little scrunched, The other, bigger issue was that I couldn't get the saddle as far back as I needed it on that bike (didn't help that the stock saddle has relatively short rails). I talked to the mechanic about the possibility of a medium with a zero-offset seatpost, and he thinks that it's a wash as to whether it would work or not.

On the Charge vs. Surly: I didn't notice a difference in ride quality, but it might be different if you were on something like chip-seal.
    Last edited by Owlie; 01-09-2013 at 03:48 PM.

It seems to me that if a 5'7" tall woman needs an XS, something is seriously wrong!

Then again, I don't know anything about Cross bikes. I'm only 5'2" and usually need XS in everything, so it's just unfathomable to me...

But whatever works!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, I agree with you! (Though there are a few companies, like GT, that run huge!)

Help me figure something out.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm 5'5" and currently have a WSD XS road bike. I'm still not sure that its the right size (looks small, but feels alright), but with my short torso and longer legs the LBS thinks it's the best choice for me. I think it just makes it harder for me to decide on which size TCX W to get.

Good luck with your decision. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for some tips I can follow.
    2012 Giant TCX W

Quote Originally Posted by Pace View Post
    I'm in a similar boat. I'm 5'5" and currently have a WSD XS road bike. I'm still not sure that its the right size (looks small, but feels alright), but with my short torso and longer legs the LBS thinks it's the best choice for me. I think it just makes it harder for me to decide on which size TCX W to get.

Good luck with your decision. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for some tips I can follow.
    Giant runs big, I think. My Giant is a medium, but I'd probably be more comfortable on a small with a slightly longer stem. (I rode a Defy 1 last week that was a size small, and I felt a little scrunched, although it's hard to tell if it's because I'm used to a slightly too-long bike.) Actually, I'd be more comfortable on the TCR-W (the aggressive WSD bike) in a small, had Giant not discontinued it. You'll probably still want to go with the XS.

Based on reading through this thread and looking closely at the sizing chart, I'd suggest the small. I'm the same height as you but with more torso length then leg length. I would order the small knowing that I would likely put on a longer stem but at least I could get my butt back where I wanted it.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS