Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Give it time. I am learning that injuries can take a long time to fully heal.
    I would be willing to put money on it that you will never smash your finger in the trainer again. I definitely understand being a little shy of going anywhere near it.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I REALLY smashed my right middle finger just about a year ago. I closed it inside a folding wall in the classroom next to mine. I had a large gash on one side and lots of damage under the nail. It was kind of fun, giving my boss the finger while he bandaged me up. I never did go see the doctor. Thom sterilized a needle and put a few holes in the nail for me to relieve the pressure a couple of times. I just kept an eye out for infection. That would have sent me to the doctor. I lost the nail, ended up ripping it off while putting on my wet suit at tri. And I still have some nerve damage, not surprising since the finger was crushed. I am very careful when I close those walls now.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Youch Veronica! My finger hurt in sympathy reading it! Thankfully you had Thom around to do the work, I didn't have a choice but to go to the doctor. One thing is sure, I've become far more careful when doing things that could cause my finger to get re-smashed - like when putting up weight plates at the gym...

My poor fingers are just going through the ringer this year! First a smashed finger on my dominant hand (still healing). Then, last night, I wound up with a 2nd degree > 1-inch burn on a finger (other hand) from a pan that had just come out of a 400 degree oven! Inside of the finger where, somehow, I caught the pan between two fingers. Still don't know why both of them aren't burned. Then there is the thumb that split because the skin got too dry...poor hands

Thankfully we have an employee clinic in my building, makes it easy to get first aid prescriptions without having to fork over a co-pay
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-26-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Last month when I was dealing with my hurt back, I burned a finger while cooking. My friend said "You should just go to bed and stay there for a while" and my daughter replied "Knowing her, she'd fall out of bed." I have a dream that one day I wont' be so clumsy...
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

For the dry cracky skin slather your hands with some extra good lotion and tuck them in to cotton gloves while you sleep. Without Burt's Bees, I probably wouldn't have any skin on my hands at all.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

coming in late to this conversation but have to share. I took a really bad tumble off my son's bike a few years ago, broke my middle finger, ripped the nail completely off as well. All a week before hiking rim to rim of the Grand Canyon. My father who was 85 at the time looks at it and says "put a tampon shell over it" I cracked up but that is exactly what a did and it worked like a charm. It wasn't heavy, kept me from banging or bumping it when hiking and it was a pretty pink plastic of course, I had it taped on my finger so most people didn't know what it actually was.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com