Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Both of you are doing great! Yayyyy for both of you

Here is a magazine length article from the New York Times on the science behind the American junk food addiction - PamNY first posted this in another thread on this forum. I've not had time to do more than scan it, but it looks like an interesting read.
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-22-2013 at 10:30 AM.

I really enjoyed that article, Catrin. I'm looking forward to reading the book when it's published.

There is also a new book called "Rich Food Poor Food" that helps folks find the healthiest choices at the grocery store. "Rich Food" - foods high in micro-nutrients and Poor Food = the opposite and/or harmful. There is a lot of discussion how manufacturers will sometimes play games with the labels to make their product look healthier than they are, and harmful ingredients to look out for. I've just ordered the book after reading the reviews and the sample on my Nook (there are a lot of graphics and charts so I got the paperback version rather than the electronic) I've read the sample and there are some very good reviews of the book. From what I've seen of this so far, it will be attractive to a broad audience.

This is a podcast (download as MP3) by the authors of "Practical Paleo" with the authors of "Rich Food Poor Food". It isn't very short, but there is a lot of good information here on what caused them to write the book and provides a nice synopsis of the book.

Download MP3 version

If you prefer to access the video through iTunes or some other format then go here to the podcast page.
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-22-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Suggestion How To Re-Set Polar HRMs...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...rate-monitors/

This is a link above that should go to a short article about HRM accuracy & depending how you set them.

One of the best general ways I have found to set them is by working the max HR number "backwards", which closest resembles your PE (perceived exersion).

OK, so when you are at your "jogging with a friend" intensity, i.e. sweating, working, but at a steady sustainable pace, and enough wind left over to chat a short sentenance, i.e. "how was your day?", that's about 75% of your MHR. So...

Take that number of BPM as your HR and DIVIDE by 0.75 (i.e. 75%) and use THAT number as your "max HR" in the manual override setting in your monitor.

***my Polar is a F6... it's...OK (right side button)...scroll up, settings...user...view user extra settings...HR Max...<<<this is where you override the max "stock number", i.e. 220-your age is "stock set"

I found this suggestion of calculating backwards from a Spinning instructor forum I use for support. And I think tho it's simple, it's pretty close/good.

I field tested it road cycling once when I was sprinting on a hill to escape a chasing dog. By the time I escaped I was truly near my Max...i.e. seeings black spots, nausea, ready to pass out literally. Since I use a Garmin outside, I was able to pinpoint my heart rate on the route with the dog chasing and look at the number. That number as my max ties out with my 75% backwards equation. Hope this makes sense.

Sooooooo... I concurr that I think your calories are overestimated. Alot of people make that mistake. Over-eat based upon calorie burn over-estimation. I usually ask "is your monitor set correctly? Or when was the last time you re-checked your current fitness level against the last time you re-set it?"

Hope this helps!

p.s. IF the gym spin bike has a computer that picks up HRMs, the "stock settings" for calorie burn was set for a 150lbs male approx age 30s...if memory serves me right from when one of my gym's I taught at had them (was Spinning bike brand)...thus you can see the inaccuracy assumptions right there
    Last edited by Miranda; 02-26-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks Miranda! OK the dog story just made me LOL! About a year or so ago I did manually set my HR Max and VO2 on my F6 and had good reading after that. I think since the strap battery has been dying the readings were progressively getting crazier until it was showing me at over 200 BPM. I recently bought a new Polar F7 and oddly it doesn't seem to have the ability to manually set those things BUT it's also giving me very realistic calorie burns so go figure, maybe they improved something? All I want to know is my calories is that too much to ask :-O No seriously, I feel at least so far the new F7 is giving pretty good readings, they aren't way off from treadmills or even MyFitnessPal's website which before they were way off. The new F7 also has the ability to change the friggin' battery yourself thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    Thanks Miranda! OK the dog story just made me LOL! About a year or so ago I did manually set my HR Max and VO2 on my F6 and had good reading after that. I think since the strap battery has been dying the readings were progressively getting crazier until it was showing me at over 200 BPM. I recently bought a new Polar F7 and oddly it doesn't seem to have the ability to manually set those things BUT it's also giving me very realistic calorie burns so go figure, maybe they improved something? All I want to know is my calories is that too much to ask :-O No seriously, I feel at least so far the new F7 is giving pretty good readings, they aren't way off from treadmills or even MyFitnessPal's website which before they were way off. The new F7 also has the ability to change the friggin' battery yourself thank goodness.
    YW Glad it was of some help! Ya, I know, I just sent my F6 in to get serviced and the battery changed. Hmm, there outta be a way to override if you needed to. I have emailed and called the place where I sent mine to for service. It was from a Polar web site. This place was in Ann Arbor, MI (800)-742-4478. But, it sounds like it's still working ok with the new one. It's SO hard to get those pounds off! I'm struggling with some of my own *sigh*. Good Luck!

I would have kept my old F6 but I spilled gasoline on it last summer and ever since the face has been badly pitted. I buffed a bunch of it out but then my LCDs started burning out too. I am a little surprised they didn't have the override on the new model. I wonder why they opted not to do that. Don't feel alone, I'm still struggling too. I quit weighing, it is just driving me nuts it fluctuates so much I am now just going by size and clothes.

Re: The weight loss 'wall' - keep banging my head :-/

I got a new Polar HRM in early 2012...now the watch is all beat up from playing with Kettlebells at the gym. It was too late by the time I noticed this, so now I will just use it for riding I think. I think there is a way to do that over-ride in the new versions but it isn't intuitive. I will check it out tonight and see if I can retrace my steps on how I did it.

Avidd - yep I have been taking my vitamins; anything in particular you suggest for weight loss?

Catrin - which model do you have?

Re: The weight loss 'wall' - keep banging my head :-/

Avidd - yep I have been taking my vitamins; anything in particular you suggest for weight loss?

Catrin - which model do you have?
    I've the Polar FT60. I forgot to check it out last night for the override, will try to remember tonight.

Mine isn't as nice as that, mine is an F7. It may not have those features.

I haven't really lost much more weight but I started checking measurements about 4 weeks ago, as of yesterday I have lost 2 inches off my waist. It's so wierd. I could tell my clothes were definitely fitting better but when it comes the the scale, it's just not moving much. So odd. Do any of you experience this?

I haven't really lost much more weight but I started checking measurements about 4 weeks ago, as of yesterday I have lost 2 inches off my waist. It's so wierd. I could tell my clothes were definitely fitting better but when it comes the the scale, it's just not moving much. So odd. Do any of you experience this?
    It sounds like you are adding muscle and losing fat - which is the ideal

Great job, WR!!!!

I wish I could find a Facebook post that one of DH's friend recently posted. It showed the progress of a woman who was participating in a Crossfit type program. Her weight actually had gone up from the mid-120s to the mid-130s, but she looked so much thinner and fitter at the heavier weight. It really illustrated the point that body composition is far important than the scale.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Awesome to hear that Indy :-) Especially since I've been a little self conscious lately. I was getting worried I was doing something all wrong. Maybe I should just not even weigh myself. It drives me nuts and makes me crazy trying to figure it all out, lol. I can tell my clothes are fitting better and that's gonna have to be good enough because my scale hates me ;-)