Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I asked a friend who has a masters in exercise physiology and was doing research for NASA at the time about the claims of a local spin studio owner. My friend is also a cycling coach. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't think him a credible source. Here's his answer:

I'm always a bit amazed by claims like this. I'll start by saying that it is POSSIBLE to burn 800 calories per hour while cycling. However, it is unlikely that a person without a high level of cardiovascular fitness can achieve an energy expenditure in that range, Here's how the math breaks down:

In order to burn 800 calories in an hour, a person needs to burn 800/60 or 13.34 Calories per minute. Since humans use ~5 Calories for every 1 liter of oxygen consumed that means that a person would have to AVERAGE at least 2.67 liters of oxygen consumption per minute to burn 800 calories in an hour.

-The equation if one was inclined to do the math is: (((10.8 x Watts) / Body Weight in Kg + 7) x Body Weight)/1000 = Liters per minute. So, a 70 KG person (154 lbs) pedaling at a work rate of 200 watts would be using about 2.65 liters/ min. or roughly 800 Calories. A heavier person would presumably require less energy, and a lighter person would require more.

To put this in context, most riders in the tour de france average slightly more than 200 watts on any given stage. In fact, most of the professional females I have worked with are not able to sustain workloads greater than 200 watts for more than a few minutes.

So, while it is not impossible for a STRONG rider to burn 800 calories for an hour, most would be doing well to reach the 500-600 range for an hour long ride.

Now, if they try to tell you it's because of high intensity interval training or some such thing, the bottom line still applies: 1 Liter of O2 for every 5 Calories.

I hope that my long winded response was helpful rather than confusing!

!
    I agree that most those calorie burn numbers are way too high for a spin class, most people during high intensity intervals are at least at a 1:1 work/rest ratio...so 30-45 min of that class were probably spent at an easier intensity...
    I have to say though, I am surprised that your friend has not seen "pro women hold more than 200 watts for more than a few minutes" I am no where near pro, and my LT is at 230, which I can sustain for 20-45 min at least...there are tons of higher level women I know who have LT numbers in the 250-300 watt range...not sure what pros he has worked with, but unless they are incredibly tiny/light, 200 watts is a pretty normal power number for a girl...

Unsurprisingly we've been around to power outputs before... http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=13750

I wouldn't necessarily trust the wattage numbers on a piece of gym equipment either, but if those are coming from a decent power meter, they're likely pretty close. ToThePeak's numbers are consistent with the ones Velogirl posted six years ago, assuming "nowhere near pro" means Cat 2-3.

Also, bake me some of those cookies.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I now have the Nook version of the book and am looking forward to reading it before I take this on. My diet has been pretty darn clean since July, so it will be interesting to see what my body thinks of things. I will probably start a Whole30 journal on MDA to help me keep track of things - and it is good to get input. For MDA members I am Catrin there as well.

Sleep and stress relief is also key and can certainly affect our weight and weight-loss activities in ways that aren't obvious.
    Seems really odd to quote me....but I wanted to at least tie this to a thread where we've touched on the topic.

For interested members who are also on Mark's Daily Apple, I've started a Whole 30 journal there - my Whole 30 will start Saturday. I've the same username there so finding me should be easy if you are interested in following my journal. I welcome any helpful comments - and it will be interesting to see how much a difference this makes since my diet is pretty darn clean NOW. I am doing this to learn more about how MY body works, and to uncover any remaining dietary sensitivities.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Seems really odd to quote me....but I wanted to at least tie this to a thread where we've touched on the topic.

For interested members who are also on Mark's Daily Apple, I've started a Whole 30 journal there - my Whole 30 will start Saturday. I've the same username there so finding me should be easy if you are interested in following my journal. I welcome any helpful comments - and it will be interesting to see how much a difference this makes since my diet is pretty darn clean NOW. I am doing this to learn more about how MY body works, and to uncover any remaining dietary sensitivities.
    I'll have to head over there to follow your journey. When I started my first Whole30, I was fairly clean myself (I think you are even 'cleaner' than I was) and I was quite shocked at how my body reacted to the Whole30. It was actually a bit of a challenge dealing with it from a mental perspective because I kept thinking I shouldn't be going through 'withdrawals'. My second Whole30 was somewhat easier because I'd done so much 'off roading' prior to starting that I was expecting to feel pretty crappy for awhile. Odd, I know. In both cases, by day 18 or 19, I was feeling quite amazing. Better than I'd ever felt prior...it was enlightening.

I'm not super clean now because I'm on the road, but I'm going to do a Whole60 starting the day after I'm done with travel (March 3 or 4).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

OK so I stopped relying on my Polar and now I lost 3 Lbs, finally going the right direction :-) In my Polar's defense however, I read on their website that the strap I have (the OLD one) is only good for 2500 hours. My HRM is at least 6 years old so I'm sure my battery in the strap is dead. It went totally crazy on me last night in spin so I ordered a new one today. BTW, in case you were wondering, the NEW Polar's do allow you to change the battery in the watch AND the strap. I just like to see my HR when I'm working out for some reason. I feel odd not having my HRM on. Silly? Probably, but it makes me work out more so I can SEE what I have done.

That's great WR! Good job!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks Indy. It's so hard right now with all the crazy that is my life at the moment, lol!

I hear you WindingRoad, it is odd to exercise without the HRM, I totally get that. Great news that you figured out what was going on!

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    Thanks Indy. It's so hard right now with all the crazy that is my life at the moment, lol!
    Kudos to you for fitting exercise and diet into your life right now, WR! You rock!

When I was in law school, I had to work out. Otherwise the stress was just too much. But it was hard. I often had to workout at 10 or 11 pm. I had a step (the kind you use in aerobics classes) in my apartment, three or four videos and the world's smallest/oldest tv. I made it work somehow.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    When I was in law school, I had to work out. Otherwise the stress was just too much. But it was hard. I often had to workout at 10 or 11 pm. I had a step (the kind you use in aerobics classes) in my apartment, three or four videos and the world's smallest/oldest tv. I made it work somehow.
    Ha! I did the same thing when I worked in retail management. I was so stressed from my day, even though it was often very physical (on my feet, carrying clothing, re-configuring walls/displays, slinging boxes, etc) I needed ME time. I could never have gone to a class because I really needed to be alone to de-stress and my workout videos were like good friends. I made a tall box step out of a milk crate with a couple of 2 x 6 boards lashed to the bottom (and turned upside down)!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I never thought I would enjoy hitting the gym before 6am, but much to my surprise I do. I think it has to do with getting it out of the way and not having anything from my work-day hanging around in my head to distract me from what my body is doing. I still over-think ~ I can't seem to help that (and it can frustrate my trainer) but it is enjoyable and eases the stress of the coming day.

Indy, that is an amazing schedule and glad you were able to make that work for you!

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I made a tall box step out of a milk crate with a couple of 2 x 6 boards lashed to the bottom (and turned upside down)!
    That's so clever! You're such an engineer (I mean that in a good way)!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I made a tall box step out of a milk crate with a couple of 2 x 6 boards lashed to the bottom (and turned upside down)!
    That's so clever! You're such an engineer (I mean that in a good way)!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Okay so I finished my Whole30 and I went completely mad! I have been eating sweets like crazy and yes I feel horrible but the mind wants what the mind wants! I have a wedding to go to and a birthday coming up so I am trying to eat clean on the days in between. I have promised myself that this will be the last birthday cake for myself that I eat. I have emotional ties to the cake my Mom made me every year without fail! My daughter has been making them for the past few years and she is moving overseas so this is a special one. But I did lose 6 pounds in those 30 days. I haven't been 144 lbs for years! I wasn't perfect on my whole30. Too much fruit and nuts and too many days eating the same thing day after day while I tried to sort it all out. If I try again, I will plan better and go longer. I cannot break 50 years of sugar addiction in 30 days apparently!
    Lucy 2012 Surly Cross Check
    Sally 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Peppermint Patty 2009 Trek 4500 WSD
    Marcie 2008 Giant Sedona
    Violet 1994 Norco Kokanee

I have to say kicking sugar is sooooooo hard to do. I have been good lately. I'm not doing Paleo or Whole30 I'm just doing my own version of eating clean and more protein. A fuji apple and some almond butter can save my day when I start craving sweets though. I've been doing this almost a month and only just NOW am I getting past the craving of junk food. It's insane how strong that urge is sometimes. I have stopped eating wheat products too