Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Summary of Selle SMP saddle info

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am researching the Selle SMP glider and Lite 209, (I have a Selle Italia Turbomatic, which I've been happy with but the gel is breaking down already and causing issues. This is after about a year and 10,000 or so miles) and came across this great article on Steve Hogg's site

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...l-about-smps/#

Very interesting stuff, especially how the width of the saddle doesn't necessarily correspond to ischial tuberosity width.

After my husband bought a Glider that didn't work for him I pointed him to Steve Hogg (not sure how I knew about him, maybe from someone here) and after careful study, he moved on to a Dynamic. His enthusiasm caused me to put aside concerns about cost and the narrowness of the saddle, which was a big sticking point after all I've read here. I got a Lite 209, also based on reading Hogg. I've tried a lot of saddles and like the Lite 209 best. It wasn't comfortable at first but somehow felt good for me. SMPs have a lot of adjustability, which is great, but it can be tricky to get them adjusted right and they can cause pain along the way; we both experienced knots in soft tissue that go away when the saddle's positioned right. Wearing shorts and chamois that fit very well seems to matter more than with other saddles. The dropped nose is great for eliminating soft tissue pressure and the raised back can really help you transfer more power to the pedals.

It's got to depend a lot on individual anatomy, too. No way could I sit on my rami, there's just too much soft tissue there. The outer labia is where I have the most chafing anyway, and sitting right on them would NOT be good for me.

I wonder if this is much different between women and men ... men obviously have a whole lot more soft tissue *between* their pubic rami, but I don't know what the gender distribution might be as far as soft tissue *under* the rami?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's got to depend a lot on individual anatomy, too. No way could I sit on my rami, there's just too much soft tissue there. The outer labia is where I have the most chafing anyway, and sitting right on them would NOT be good for me.

I wonder if this is much different between women and men ... men obviously have a whole lot more soft tissue *between* their pubic rami, but I don't know what the gender distribution might be as far as soft tissue *under* the rami?
    That's a really good point. According to the wooden chair cut out test, I don't necessarily need a cut out. I do find I tend to sit on my rami at least as much as the ischium. Maybe that's part of it? Not sure at all. My husband has tried the Selle SMP before (not sure which flavor) and calls it an instrument of torture. I ordered a Fizik Donna from Competitive Cyclist (unconditional returns) until I can demo the SMP. The Donna was actually one of my first choices to try but my LBS never ordered it for me despite me asking, so I kind of gave up.

I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start another one. Just tried out a selle smp on a casual ride this evening. Didn't even have my bike shorts on and it was great.

I tried the cobb v flow and I went numb within a few miles of riding. I tried it for three more rides and made adjustments to try to make it work but my lady bits still went numb

The specialized lithia was too wide, but I also tried the specialized ruby which was nice during my ride but it felt so cheap like it wouldn't last.

Recently, I've tried the Fizik Arione Donna and the Fizik Aliante VSX.

The Donna put a lot of pressure on my soft tissue. I knew within the first few miles that it wasn't going to work. I'm also riding in more of an aggressive position. I thought this one would work since fizik has their animal concept - I'm really flexible, so I chose a snake saddle. Didn't work. I was disappointed because it's such a nice looking saddle.

The Fizik Aliante VSX was great when I was in an upright position but didn't work well in the drops or on the hoods. The 20 mm wide channel worked really well when I was upright. I read that this saddle was chosen by a professional women's team, so I figured it was worth a try. Not for me but may be great for someone who stays in an upright position. A channel or cutout seems necessary for me after trying out the Aliante VSX.

ISM Adamo Road which has worked out well for eliminating soft tissue pressure but I wanted something a bit more traditional looking. It takes a while to get over the soreness after initial used, but it eliminated all soft tissue pressure and I haven't had any chaffing. I recently attended a cycling camp where we road for two days straight and 3-4hrs. I only had bone pain because I'm not used to riding for that long. Great saddle. It's just ugly imo. Will go back to it if the selle smp doesn't work out.

I'm testing out the Selle SMP dynamic next weekend for a 2 day camp. Multiple hours in the saddle so hopefully it will go well!

Maybe this will help out someone who is still looking for a saddle.
    Last edited by cocolea4; 02-15-2015 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cocolea4 View Post
    The Donna put a lot of pressure on my soft tissue. I knew within the first few miles that it wasn't going to work. I'm also riding in more of an aggressive position. I thought this one would work since fizik has their animal concept - I'm really flexible, so I chose a snake saddle. Didn't work. I was disappointed because it's such a nice looking saddle.
    Ditto. That was the worst. saddle. ever for me...drew blood by 5 miles...and I still had 5 miles to get back home. And re: Oak's comment, I generally have 0 soft-tissue pain/pressure/chafing/numbness with the 3 different SMP saddles I ride. I cannot say this for ANY of the dozen+ saddles I tried before sucking it up and investing in my first SMP.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Ditto. That was the worst. saddle. ever for me...drew blood by 5 miles...and I still had 5 miles to get back home. And re: Oak's comment, I generally have 0 soft-tissue pain/pressure/chafing/numbness with the 3 different SMP saddles I ride. I cannot say this for ANY of the dozen+ saddles I tried before sucking it up and investing in my first SMP.
    goodness! The things we have to deal with to find a good saddle.... Glad you found the SMP as well. I'm very happy with it after attending camp this past weekend

Saturday - 50 mile ride - zero discomfort or numbing.

Sunday - 23 mile ride - no problems.

Very happy! Seriously thinking about doing the MS Tour in October.

Quote Originally Posted by cocolea4 View Post
    goodness! The things we have to deal with to find a good saddle.... Glad you found the SMP as well. I'm very happy with it after attending camp this past weekend

Saturday - 50 mile ride - zero discomfort or numbing.

Sunday - 23 mile ride - no problems.

Very happy! Seriously thinking about doing the MS Tour in October.
    That's awesome! Amazing what a difference the right saddle makes!!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2