Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking for indoor spinning classes in the Chicago burbs.. Not having much luck...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Most of the spin class specialty shops are in the city. Some of the Bally's/Lifetime Fitness type of places around me offer limited classes and they are always full and at times you show up and you don't have a bike, etc.

I have never been to a class and I want to start although it seems that even the specialty spin shops have limited classes/hours per day. Perhaps the popularity is just lacking within my area.. Hmmmm...

I cycle on my Giant Roam 2 during the summer months but I would like to add to this during the winter months by substituting with spin classes, so I am not so out of shape in the summer when I jump on my Roam!..

Any ideas? Referrals? etc?

You could do what I did when I moved to an area w/o a full service gym: Get your own spin bike. They aren't terribly expensive. Or get a stationary trainer for your bike. Either way, buy some training videos and off you go, so to speak. Sometimes if I don't feel like watching a video, I just listen to some music and do whatever moves me. Spinning isn't rocket science. So long as I get my heart rate up, I'm pretty happy with my work out. That said, I've taken enough formal spin classes, that I know most of the dos and don'ts.

Otherwise, just check out every gym in your area for class availabilty. Are there Ys in your area? LA Fitness? Anytime Fitness? I have to imagine that most of the major burbs have more than own full service gym. When I was a Y member, I just planned on getting to class early to get a spot. If you're already a member at a gym and its classes are always full, talk to them about adding some classes.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Good idea! I like the stationary trainer for my bike idea but they are quite expensive. I can't go with a cheap one because I need it to be quiet so it looks like the Fluid model's are the way to go. I am going to try and keep my eye out for a used one on craigslist perhaps and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't leak.

A couple of the local gym's do have Spin classes but they are during the early morning or late evening and I was really looking for something right after work around 3:30pm. Once I am home I lose the motivation to go back out and to a gym... lol Then the other issue is one I mentioned earlier in regards to having to get there early to get a bike, etc. Just a pain... So I am still kinda up in the air.. But yeah, the stationary bike trainer idea is a great one and perhaps I will get lucky and find a used one at a decent price!..

Thank you!

-Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    You could do what I did when I moved to an area w/o a full service gym: Get your own spin bike. They aren't terribly expensive. Or get a stationary trainer for your bike. Either way, buy some training videos and off you go, so to speak. Sometimes if I don't feel like watching a video, I just listen to some music and do whatever moves me. Spinning isn't rocket science. So long as I get my heart rate up, I'm pretty happy with my work out. That said, I've taken enough formal spin classes, that I know most of the dos and don'ts.

Otherwise, just check out every gym in your area for class availabilty. Are there Ys in your area? LA Fitness? Anytime Fitness? I have to imagine that most of the major burbs have more than own full service gym. When I was a Y member, I just planned on getting to class early to get a spot. If you're already a member at a gym and its classes are always full, talk to them about adding some classes.

Looking for indoor spinning classes in the Chicago burbs.. Not having much luck...

I don't think I have EVER seen a gym spin class in that time frame. Good luck!
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Yeah, that is what I am finding also... Grrrrr....

Alright.. Thanks girls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    I don't think I have EVER seen a gym spin class in that time frame. Good luck!
    Yeah; me either.....and I've spent a fair amount of time pouring over gym schedules in my time. Most gyms offer morning and evening workouts for a reason.

But I'm tempted to kick you in the pants on this one. I know it's hard to motivate to go back out for a workout once you get home, but that's just a question of motivation--and that you can overcome. It sounds as if you, in the very least, have the luxury of getting to the gym early to secure a bike. I don't want to make light of motivation problems; I know how hard it can be, but it does bring to mind something another TEer said once that I try to keep in mind for myself: If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse. The alternative is to attend some weekend spin classes.

Good luck!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

HA!.. You hit the nail on the head!.. And your COMPLETELY correct.. My motivation SUUUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.... And I know that if I go STRAIGHT to the gym without passing GO... lol.. I will go... But once I hit home.. forget it.. Horrible.. I know..

So yes.. Your right.. It is my motivation that needs to be worked on!!!!!.. A kick in the pants is just what I need!.. lol..

Glad you took that in a positive way. I was afraid I might have offended!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Smile

Not in the least!!!

Alright!.. Kick in the pants received and I bought a used indoor spin cycle!..

http://www.amazon.com/ProForm-290-In...=pro+form+bike

Now.. I want to get some Spinning DVD's.. I should probably ask this question in another area of the forums but what do you girls think?.. Can you recommend anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Inocense View Post
    Alright!.. Kick in the pants received and I bought a used indoor spin cycle!..

http://www.amazon.com/ProForm-290-In...=pro+form+bike

Now.. I want to get some Spinning DVD's.. I should probably ask this question in another area of the forums but what do you girls think?.. Can you recommend anything?
    I have several from this line. I can't remember all the titles that I have off the top of my head because I've been running more this winter and not spinning, but I can look if that would help. They're decent, although the music kind of sucks. Frankly, I've been to so many spin classes over the years that I sometimes just put together my own workout. I'll turn Pandora on with my iPhone and go with the beat of whatever music comes up and do whatever the spirit moves me to do. So long as my heartrate gets up and I mix it up a bit, I feel like I've accomplished something.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Check out the Sufferfest workouts at thesufferfest.com. Grueling, and I like them more than any "Coach Clipboard" DVDs I've done.

Indy.. Just bought Crank it Up Interval Energy Zone & Ride On Endurance Energy Zone. I think I will eventually get the Ireland ride one, I love it there just not sure how much it will push me to "spin"... lol

Becky..! Holy crap!.. lol.. The Sufferfest video's look grueling alright!.. And VERY intimidating!.. So I will plan to grab a couple of their video's after I have a few "rides" under my belt.. lol.. Looks like they really work on you through your competitive drive! Love the music and feel of the sample video!..
    Last edited by Inocense; 02-03-2013 at 11:47 AM.