Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charity 'Climb'

Charity 'Climb'

To disable ads, please log-in.

This isn't a charity ride...but I still wanted to mention it in case someone would like to sponsor me. I am participating in the American Lung Association's "Climb For Air" on March 9 in downtown Indianapolis. It is a 35 floor climb (roughly 750 steps). I am doing this for my mother who has had lung cancer twice in the past 14 months.

For more information on the event follow this link. Click here for my fundraising page.

Donation sent.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Donation sent.

Thank you!

Done and done! I think you just made your goal, too!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Done and done! I think you just made your goal, too!
    Nice, thank you! I've told my friends at church that if I can raise >$300 then I will climb those 35 flights of stairs twice

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Nice, thank you! I've told my friends at church that if I can raise >$300 then I will climb those 35 flights of stairs twice
    Well now that sounds like a challenge for us! Donation sent
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    Well now that sounds like a challenge for us! Donation sent
    Thank you! I've given the same challenge to my church as well. I better make certain my legs are up to 70 flights of stairs My wild trainer is my team captain so he will certainly make certain that we are ready

I am $60 away from those 70 flights of stairs rather than 35 - guess I better start focusing on lower body strength and endurance

I greatly appreciate the support - in both donations and encouragement!
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-26-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Much to my great surprise, I've actually raised $350 already! That might not sound like much, but I am not a good fundraiser. I've posted on my fundraising page that if I raise $600 that I will climb those steps 3 times, but I don't really expect that to happen. I expect a couple of other friends to make a small donation before the event, but I think that everyone who can/will donate has done so.

I didn't realize just how personal this is until I started raising money for this. So I am climbing for me, my sister, my mother, and everyone else who can't breath as well as they should. It is also time to start taking advantage of the fact that I work on the 19th floor...

It is official now - I've my packet for Saturday morning I raised more than I ever have and it promises to be a good morning!

Good luck and have fun! Kudos to you for raising so much money!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Good luck Catrin and have fun!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

This morning was a lot of fun...in a slightly masochistic kind of way. I decided that I should have a substantial breakfast at least a couple of hours in advance, so I made pumpkin/banana "pancakes" and a couple slices of fresh side. I ate the whole thing I love those things, and it is amazing how close they are to actual pancakes even if they are just egg, pumpkin, banana, baking soda and spices. In retrospect I may have over-eaten a bit. I was concerned about my asthma after having problems when we did the test climb in that same building a few weeks back, so I used my inhaler liberally before the event.

Most of my team showed, we were only missing one climber. I had signed up to climb the stairs twice, but after a few minutes rest after my second ascent I decided to climb them a THIRD time. It was a personal challenge to myself and I did it! 105 flights of stairs, 2,304 steps. I found that it was a lot easier on my legs to take the steps two at a time while grabbing both guardrails so my quads didn't have to do all of the work.

I am still waiting on my final times:

1st Climb = 10:12 minutes (ranked 158 out of 706 climbers)
    2nd Climb = 12:05 (ranked 52 of those who climbed twice)
    3rd??? Still waiting on this one. I am sure it was slower than my second climb, though it was in some ways a little easier. Probably because I was slower

This afternoon my IT bands are both a bit sore. I was naseaus after the 3rd climb and ditched the banana I grabbed after eating half of it. I STILL have some nausea and can't figure out why. I liberally salted my lunch (chicken breast, lettuce, mashed cauliflower) and can't think of what else I might need to do. Electrolyte problem? Wondering if I need to break open an old package of Shot Blocks, though I don't want the sugar...

I managed to raise an even $500, which I am very pleased with, it is the most I've ever raised I AM surprised, however, that amount put me in the "top fundraiser" category.

Afterwards a few of us went to an "after climb" party where I gave my token for a free beer to someone who would use it. I wanted water I might, however, have a beer this evening. Got a free massage as well. I wanted to ride my bike this afternoon, even for a short time, but my legs are voting against that. I've not been on the bike since just before Christmas so it doesn't seem the best day to get back on, sadly.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-09-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Way to go, Catrin! I bow at your stair climbing feet!!!

--Mary Anne Radmacher