Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am very sorry for the loss of your ex-hubby and co-parent to your daughter.

Rather than analyze why you are not cycling right now, just let it be for now. Then when you have enough energy, just do it. As you know, just small cycles to do stuff. Very sudden, unnatural death is just very hard. I didn't lose interest in cycling after my sister's suicide, but I just did it in a undemanding, brainless kind of way. In a way for awhile, the riding was for the memory of her...for all the beautiful mountain views I would see over the past few years because I knew she loved those types of views.

The shock was so enormous I could not even write about cycling for awhile. I know what you mean about feeling like a martian...because not everyone experiences such traumatic, unnatural deaths in their family.

I read your blog post where you mention the untimely death of him occurring around the same time of your long bike trip.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-22-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I'm so sorry for all you are dealing with. I wish I had some magic words of wisdom, but I surely don't. It seems you are doing all the right things, seeking out the help you need. I think you just need to give it more time. And agree with others that finding some other outdoor activity (when it is less cold) that can get you moving and enjoying fresh air, might help bridge you over until you are ready to ride again. I know all too well how much not being active and not getting fresh air can adversely impact how you feel. And I'm not dealing with 1/100th of the sadness you are.

Be kind to yourself and don't expect too much. And come here for support anytime. We'd all take that pain away from you in a second if we could.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I thought this article I read yesterday on the healing power of yoga was timely, hira:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/how...you-happy.html
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Wow. I so feel for you.

Everyone deals with grief in different ways and at different lengths of time. The fact that this happened while you were on a bike tour makes the bike a major trigger.

Having some pain of my own with certain triggers that are difficult to deal with, I do find that over time they lessen. The more you have positive experiences in relation to those triggers, for you the bike, the better it gets as well. Not as quickly as I would have hoped, and I don't know if those triggers will ever at the very least not be a subtle reminder of my pain, much less make me cry . . . but that is my hope.

As for your bike, your story reminds me of a cyclist friend, who's husband tragically died on his bike. She wasn't there when it happened, but I wondered if it would cause her to stay off her bike for at least a while, if not forever. However, it was the exact opposite. I believe cycling became her motivating factor to keep living life. A distraction from her pain and something to plan and look forward to. It was and is sort of connection to her husband, who lived and breathed cycling, raced, had a zillion bikes and bike paraphernalia all over the house. He died doing what he loved and she continued doing an activity they had shared a love for together.

She pushed herself to ride harder, get faster and gave herself goals to accomplish, including races that she did very well at.

I don't know if any of this is any sort of help to you, but maybe it's possible for you to shift your mind from connecting your bike to the pain of the tragedy, to using it to "live again". which I know is what you really want to do. It wasn't clear by your post if your ex-husband was on the bike tour and/or also loved riding. If he did ride, or even if he didn't, think of how sad he'd be to know that you aren't riding anymore and how happy he'd be if you were living life to the fullest and doing something you used to love.

I encourage you to keep going on short and easy rides with friends if that's all you can bring yourself to do. Try to plan rides to places, like bakeries or coffee places that make the rides kind of special. If riding harder or faster makes you feel good about yourself, then do that. If you only want to cruise for ten miles, then do that. Take your bike to other locations to ride where the scenery is different and interesting. Do whatever you can to make more and more positive memories and associations with the bike.

Maybe look up organized events and try to psych yourself to get ready for one.

I know it can be very difficult to read others words of encouragement. Sometimes those words can seem so futile and have no meaningful effect whatsoever. I recently got an email from someone who said things my "old self" would easily have said to someone in my current place, yet I just couldn't wrap my mind around it and let it penetrate me or change my mindset. It just made me cry.

It takes time, but hopefully you'll slowly gain back your love of cycling again. One day at a time.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

I too missed this when it happened in the fall and am so sorry to hear about your tragic loss. It sounds like you are getting help but know that we are always here for you too, in a different way than MD's. No one says you have to bicycle right now but it sounds like there is some longing in your voice for it. As others have said, your bike will be there for you when you are ready. Sorrow can be painful to the body, not just your soul. Fresh air on mild days can be therapeutic.

The only real relief for this is the passage of time. And every passing day brings that time one day closer.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Thanks again for all the support and wise advice. I hope to get out on a hike with Crankin sometime soon (after the blizzard that is). I went to an Imbolc celebration (it is a pagan holiday celebrating the new growth under the snow). I wrote a poem for it. I think it captures some of how I feel now -- as I try to give myself time to grieve.

Imbolc Poem
    (This is dedicated to the spirit of my best-friend, ex-husband, and father of my daughter, Peter Marvit, who was senselessly murdered in Baltimore on September 17th, 2012.)

It took us three months
    To ride our bicycles from Bedford, Massachusetts to Dayton, Washington State.
    Three months from late June’s oppressive heat to
    September’s changing leaves.
    Three months on the road, with you encouraging us from afar, to go the distance
    To push through, despite the obstacles of wind and fatigue,
    Despite the doubt and frustration of such an arduous trip.
    Your last text message said: “Sending you go-for-it vibes.”

It was two days before my birthday
    When your life was taken
    Two days before September 19th
    Which you always reminded me was
    “Talk like a pirate day” when you wished me
    “Happy Birthday Matie”
    But this year that wish did not come.
    This year I was left with an emptiness
    Like an echo
    Or a lake that has iced over.

I want to howl like the wind,
    I want to rattle the trees with my grief
    I want to know that your death will not go unnoticed; or your life unacknowledged.
    I want to make sense of something so incomprehensible.

Yet, there is comfort in the fact
    that the wheel turns.
    That tenacious green shoots
    Push up through the snow covered ground,
    Push up to eventually meet the sunlight
    To a world that is kind and cruel
    In the same moment.

It is Imbolc tonight
    Which reminds us that from the darkness of the frozen ground
    Growth will emerge
    The ice will thaw
    And spring will come.