Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Mechanical Disc Brakes.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started putting the new bike together this evening. It has mechanical disc brakes (Avid BB5). As it turns out, they are a pain to adjust. (I think some of this is plain old unfamiliarity, but still!) Anyone have good resources for dealing with discs? My current repair manual doesn't cover them (I guess they weren't around when the book was written.) I've been watching YouTube videos, but I find written instructions helps me a lot too.
    Also, any tips or helpful hints, especially for getting the wheel back into place?
    Thanks in advance!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Single piston is tough to adjust. Just not as much "option" in adjustment. We upgrade many folks to the BB7 for this reason. Seems to be a much more "easy to live with" version of the Avid brake.

We think that part of the issue is that it was that someone didn't read the huge letters that say "DO NOT LAY FLAT" when putting the bike box on the truck. That, and it was packed TERRIBLY. (They basically taped the bike back into the box.) The piston itself needed work. (Luckily I have a coworker whose hobby seems to be taking bikes apart and putting them back together, so he fixed the front brake that was the problem.)

The back one still rubs a little, and everyone has pretty much told me to ride it a few times, and if it doesn't improve, go talk to our head mechanic. Sigh.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...