Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

Black ice is a beast and I've fallen twice. Both times, I was riding slowly.
    If there is still ice and snow ruts on the road sides, then I don't bike because ...I end up in the middle of the road /too close to the cars.

Today, my employer just profiled a winter cyclist-employee who cycles in more snow than I do and @ -20 degrees C. She has a 7km. bike ride from home to work (same building where I work) and most of it on a bike path.

It's snowing again right now and dearie just told me he's going to try cycling for a short piece. He has studded winter tires. I know he will be sticking to the path. Better to fall with no cars around.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I should add that I find riding in rain and just above freezing a LOT colder than riding well below freezing... cold rain har a way of seeping in everywhere.

Yes - this exactly!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

+1to rain being worse. I'd take 25F and sunny over 40 and rainy any day. Being wet and cold is more miserable and draining than anything. Temps don't even have to be that low to cause hypothermia.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Okay, well I feel a little "wimpish" now, since it was partly sunny and not windy. I would have mainly suffered from cold toes. There are so few days in southern Arizona when I even need to wear tights- I can usually get by with knee warmers, wool socks, arm warmers and a wind breaker in the winter. I have only worn my full gloves a few times. There's another century next month ...
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Okay, I really feel like a wimp. Up until a few weeks ago, my limit was 50 F. Mostly, because I ride before sunrise and without the sun, that can be cold on my native Florida bones and it is what I had gear for. My BF helped me kick my gear up a notch and we were out at around 44 a few weekends ago. Can't say I would do it early in the morning, but it was okay with the sun out. I was in leg and arm sleeves, baselayer, jersey and shorts, wind pants, wool socks, wind jacket, neck warmer. Booger was out there in shorts, base layer top, long sleeve jersey and knee socks.

L
    L

2011 Giant Cypress ST W
    2012 Giant Avail Inspire

Okay, I really feel like a wimp. Up until a few weeks ago, my limit was 50 F. Mostly, because I ride before sunrise and without the sun, that can be cold on my native Florida bones and it is what I had gear for. My BF helped me kick my gear up a notch and we were out at around 44 a few weekends ago. Can't say I would do it early in the morning, but it was okay with the sun out. I was in leg and arm sleeves, baselayer, jersey and shorts, wind pants, wool socks, wind jacket, neck warmer. Booger was out there in shorts, base layer top, long sleeve jersey and knee socks.

L
    L

2011 Giant Cypress ST W
    2012 Giant Avail Inspire

Re: I won't ride my bike if it's going to be colder than......

Realistically 50, 40 if someone twisted my arm and it was sunny. I hate the cold.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I think the coldest temp I've ridden in was about 23*. That was 6 -7 years back when a local bike shop had rides all year 'round. I can remember shop rides where shocks would freeze, brakes would freeze, our water would freeze, pedals would get clogged with snow & we couldn't clip in, - but, we're all older now though and no more of that nonsense!
    Last year, the coldest that I rode in was 30*.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Okay, well I feel a little "wimpish" now, since it was partly sunny and not windy. I would have mainly suffered from cold toes. There are so few days in southern Arizona when I even need to wear tights- I can usually get by with knee warmers, wool socks, arm warmers and a wind breaker in the winter. I have only worn my full gloves a few times. There's another century next month ...
    Don't feel wimpish. Not only do we all have our own internal themometers, but your climate is so much more predominantly hot I suspect you've unconsciously adjusted your preferences accordingly.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

My limit is around 25f windchill. If it's sunny and I really want to get out, cold is tolerable. I'm not equipped to deal with ice, though.

It appears my limits are reasonable. Funny, I've had the impression I was crazy for biking in this weather. For my commute, which is short, the limit is what the world throws at me, which yesterday was 5F, and that was painful even for the short distance. But if I lived in a different climate where we routinely got that cold I'd have better gear. I have good clothes and equipment for this climate (the midwest).

If I lived in a milder climate, there'd be no point in having all the gear I have, so I wouldn't have it, and my cut off would be much higher.

That's my commuting limits. Wild horses couldn't drag me out on a recreational ride below ~50F. And yesterday was too cold even for wild horses. (Ok, all the horses around here are in pastures. Not exactly wild.)
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

My limit is about 15F for my current 6 mile commute. A week or so ago when the temperature was single digits, I only bike 1.25 miles to the bus stop. When I lived only 1.5 miles from work, I biked it no matter how cold, down to -10F or so. But keeping fingers and toes warm on a longer ride is a problem, so 15F seems about right for now. I do have studded tires on my cummuter, so not afraid of black ice, but when the roads are too narrow with snow I'll think twice about riding. Also try to avoid riding whille the snow is falling and cars may be slipping or have limited visibility.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Realistically 50, 40 if someone twisted my arm and it was sunny. I hate the cold.
    I'm with you!!
    L

2011 Giant Cypress ST W
    2012 Giant Avail Inspire

I am finding that I am wimpier where colder weather riding is concerned this year. 45 now seems to be my limit rather than the 37-38 of the last couple of winters. This could be related to having a wider range of fitness activities to choose from this year. Or I am just a cold-temp riding wimp