Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Road Shoes......

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm in need of shoes that will get me through long distances...I would like to keep it around $80. I love the look of Sidi's and the fact that they make you look like a freaking ninja, but that price tag just isn't in the cards for me this year. I saw these..http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-Wo...pr_product_top lots of mixed reviews and I noticed a ton of the reviews were just people using them for spin classes. Yay or Nay?

Your suggestions please!!

....and I've looked through all the way to page 22 on this section of the forum without finding my answer. Haaaeelp!

I forget, have you picked out pedals yet? That's going to restrict your shoe choices somewhat.
    You have two, possibly 3 broad options: 2-bolt cleats (Shimano SPDs and Crank Brothers, essentially), and 3-bolt (Look-style; also includes Shimano SPD-SL and Time) cleats. There's also Speedplay that makes a cleat/pedal system that requires 4 bolts, but there are adapters for 3-bolt shoes out there. Flip the shoe over to see which it'll work with. There will be either 2 long holes toward where the ball of your foot would go, or three holes arranged in a triangle near the toes. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.
    2-bolt cleats go with pedal systems that are designed primarily for mountain biking. The pedals are near indestructible (I recently came into possession of a pair that's at least 10 years old and works beautifully), and the cleats are designed to shed mud. The fact that they're designed for mountain biking means that the cleat is recessed into the shoe. Basically, you can walk in them far more easily than you can in "road" shoes. The downside is that the contact area tends to be much smaller, and this can put pressure on your feet, resulting in hot spots or numbness. You can find SPD pedals with a platform around the mechanism, though.

Road (3-bolt compatible) shoes are harder to walk in because the cleat comes in contact with the ground, so the cleats will wear and you'll slide all over the place if you visit a convenience store. (Ask my BF how I know!) They do sell rubberized cleat covers to help with both issues. The contact area is larger so there is less pressure on your feet. For long distances, these are generally the better choice, though there are many on here who ride long distances with SPD pedals.

As far as shoes go: Fit, fit, fit, fit, fit. Go try them on if at all possible. For long distances, you want a fairly stiff sole and proper foot support. The shoe should fit more snugly than running shoes, but you should still have plenty of wiggle room. Try them on at the end of the day, because your feet swell during the day and with exercise. Make sure your heels don't slip. I'd invest at least $100 for shoes, because that's one of the three places you come into contact with the bike. If you've got a Performance near you, I believe all their shoes are on sale right now--they carry some Mavic shoes that are really comfortable. (I think the one I tried was the Avenir. I was sad that it didn't quite fit in the heel.) Specialized also makes some nice shoes if they fit your feet. They seem to run a little big and wide in the heel, though.

Pearl Izumi makes nice stuff, though I've never tried that particular shoe. I can't see how they're compatible with both pedal types; I see only one set of holes in the picture.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Thanks Owlie!! I think my LBS said SPD pedals...but suggested a Bontrager shoe that would accommodate the 2 or the 3 hole pedals if I wanted better pedals later on. I'm not crazy on the look of the shoe though. I DO have a performance bicycle here, just down the freeway Maybe I'll go in and try some on. I also JUST came across a pair of Mavick Giova shoes for a VERY nice price on sale, but I wasn't sure of the quality. I like them though. A lot. So many options are nice, but make my head spin. Also, I'm a size 8 in my running shoes, if I order online, should I be ordering a size up?

Quote Originally Posted by BeckaG View Post
    Thanks Owlie!! I think my LBS said SPD pedals...but suggested a Bontrager shoe that would accommodate the 2 or the 3 hole pedals if I wanted better pedals later on. I'm not crazy on the look of the shoe though. I DO have a performance bicycle here, just down the freeway Maybe I'll go in and try some on. I also JUST came across a pair of Mavick Giova shoes for a VERY nice price on sale, but I wasn't sure of the quality. I like them though. A lot. So many options are nice, but make my head spin. Also, I'm a size 8 in my running shoes, if I order online, should I be ordering a size up?
    Depends on the shoe. It's a starting point. My running shoes are a US 9.5, though street shoes I wear anything from 8-9.5. The Mavics I tried on were a men's 7 or 7.5, so in European sizing, they were something like a 40-41. My Specialized shoes are 41s. In Sidi, I think I take a 42.5. I think I'm a 42 in Louis Garneau, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Try a few on before you order anything so you get an idea of how each brand runs. Mavic seems to run relatively true-to-size. Sidi and Louis Garneau seem to run small and narrow, and Specialized seems to run a little big, but that's my experience.
    Last edited by Owlie; 01-12-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Does anyone know anything about the Diadora Aerospeed 2's? Quality and Fit?