Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sausage legs!!!

Sausage legs!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have thick legs but I'm not plus size at all.....I have one pair of Sugoi shorts (I'm a new cyclist) and I'd really like to know if cycling shorts exist that don't squeeze your thigh and give you that disgusting sausage casing leg?? Or if I should just resign to the fact that I have to compromise looking good on my bike for a nice chamois...

Please help!!!

Call TE. They know which shorts are tight/loose in the legs. They're very good about checking the fit of shorts.

And welcome to the forum.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckaG View Post
    I have thick legs but I'm not plus size at all.....I have one pair of Sugoi shorts (I'm a new cyclist) and I'd really like to know if cycling shorts exist that don't squeeze your thigh and give you that disgusting sausage casing leg?? Or if I should just resign to the fact that I have to compromise looking good on my bike for a nice chamois...

Please help!!!
    Which Sugoi shorts do you have? Their Evolution short it more flattering than some. For me, longer is better for avoiding the sausage casing look. But, yes, a certain degree of resignation (and denial) is often required.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Okay.. thanks!!

not sure which ones they are... they were a gift.

I've also found that longer shorts look better than shorter ones. Also shorts made with compressing fabric look better on me, as do shorts that do not have a leg gripper. The LG Neo Power shorts are an example of all three. They also come in a shorter length which many women with shorter legs prefer.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Craft shorts have a wide leg hem/band.

Is the leg ripper the silicone type stuff on the bottom of the hem that's squeezing me into a sausage? ...I'm very new to cycling. Obvi.

I gave up, to be honest. My Pearl Izumi shorts don't give me sausage leg (much). Primal's do. My Castellis are probably the most flattering shorts I own...but they are also the least comfortable.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

The most flattering shorts I have are the Terry Bellas. Longer and very compressive.
    Not cheap, but no sausage leg.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

+1 on the Terry Bella short. I have 2 pairs and find myself reaching for these, more and more.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

The best shorts that have worked for me and don't cause this issue have been the PI Symphony and Gore Oxygen. The Gore chamois(s) is the best I've found (I like the chamois in the Oxygen as well as the one in the cheaper Power models), so I'm pretty much sold on sticking with that brand.

I tried a few shorts without grippers and liked the shorts' fit and found them flattering, but never found one with a chamois that worked for me.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I've been wearing cycling shorts so long that the look doesn't even bother me, but there are skorts (which I tend not to like just because the inner shorts are very short), and light overskirts, too.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I've been wearing cycling shorts so long that the look doesn't even bother me, but there are skorts (which I tend not to like just because the inner shorts are very short), and light overskirts, too.

I often wear a skirt when riding my hybrid. I usually use older, ratty shorts underneath. I really don't like the liner shorts I have except for one pair from Terry.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Thanks for all the info!!! I'll be looking up all of these brands asap as I'm getting my new bike in a couple weeks!!!!! Also, one other question.....which shorts do you recommend using for a century?